Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello all ,

Prompted by reading the thread about " Whats legal Whats not" Started by the "Doctor" i have a few questions ... As i know nothing about either,(batch files \ registry scripts) and am positive that many are.... as i ... completely in the dark on the subject. Nevertheless it seems intriguing just the same. As i have a question to those of you who do. First can anyone explain what these are and how they function. My understanding from what i can "glean", from the post is they are instructions that you write, that can direct you "PC" to do something that it was not originally intended to do.If this is the case here's my question.
    Can an "Instruction" be written that can take complete ownership of you whole PC in one "mouse click" ...Everything ! Once and FOR ALL.
    1. Replace "Trusted Installer" with me ( mostly untrustworthy)
    2. Replace " System " as the owner with, ME... who actually "owns" the PC

This would eliminate all of the "clicking", taking ownership , re-booting , back and forth selecting the various screens, etc. As most of the problems that i have encountered , had something to do with this guy \ gal "trusted Installer", and who owns what. How about putting our collective "brain cells" together ( only have one working at most times) and fix this .... So we all can do what we want to our PC's without having to jump through some "Trusted Installer Hoops".... end of rant. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    See Batch file - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a definition and Command-line Reference for a Windows reference..

See Scripting language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more details about scripting.

See Script Center Home Page for a Technet starting point on scripting in Windows. If you really want to get into scripting in Windows dive into Scripting with Windows PowerShell.

Joe

Joe

Thanks
    My understanding from what i can "glean", from the post is they are instructions that you write, that can direct you "PC" to do something that it was not originally intended to do.
    Not necessarily something your PC was not originally intended to do.

In many cases these scripts are merely a set of instructions written in dos for executing very specific commands, or sets of commands. (Batchfiles) Mostly for convenience. And it is in many instances, well within the context of what the operating system
    is capable of doing. So no magic, just another way of doing things that most people can't be bothered with.
    There are probably only a few handfull of folks around here that actually can write their own original [complex] scripts, and I'm not one of them. Much of this harkens back to a time before windows when the command line ruled computing; Dos/Unix, etc.
    You really need to understand the language and syntax when it comes to making these up, but copying and modifying someone elses scripts to suit your own needs in many instances works well too. As in...

If you'll remember back to the Langa List days, Fred had a whole series on batchfile creation for cleaning temp files and others.
    They were very convenient and powerful little one or two click tools. I havn't tried the majority of them in windows 7, but I suspect,
    with a little reworking, some of them could be made to be viable.

Can an "Instruction" be written that can take complete ownership of you whole PC in one "mouse click" ...Everything ! Once and FOR ALL.
    The concept of permissions in Windows 7 isn't an accident, it's a security feature and I wouldn't recommend circumventing it all in one instance. Doing so in specific instances on an "as needed" basis only is a better way to go. The script in the "Whats legal Whats not" thread offers a right click in explorer to "take ownership" when trying to access and or modify certain folders.

I love them because of what they are not; Bloated installable programs.
    All of your intsall-able "cleanup" utilities, in theory, could be replaced with batchfiles.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    The concept of permissions in Windows 7 isn't an accident, it's a security feature and I wouldn't recommend circumventing it all in one instance. Doing so in specific instances on an "as needed" basis only is a better way to go. The script in the "Whats legal Whats not" thread offers a right click in explorer to "take ownership" when trying to access and or modify certain folders.
    Clint ,
    Hello,
    Thank you for your response... The question is not about whether or not it's a good idea to do (take all control of your PC) ... Just asking if it is "technically possible" The "taking ownership" would just be "gravy" .Also it's not just Windows 7, Vista has the same "problem" as well .("Trusted Installer ... "Owner = System") .As an "experiment" now for almost 10 or 11 months i have "flown" Vista ...with no "Patches" or "Updates" and have even removed what originally came installed... just use MalwareBytes, and Norton 360. Also have set myself as "Owner "as much as i could......The sky didn't fall..... So It would make my "PC" life simpler if i could just "Take Ownership" and make myself the "OWNER" from the "geko" instead of "SYSTEM "and let me be the "Decider". Can't believe someone hasn't figured this one out before... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    See Batch file - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a definition and Command-line Reference for a Windows reference..

See Scripting language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more details about scripting.

See Script Center Home Page for a Technet starting point on scripting in Windows. If you really want to get into scripting in Windows dive into Scripting with Windows PowerShell.

Joe
    Joe ,
    Hello ... I will check them out. I'm still pretty much a "newbie" so don't know how much the links will help. Kinda like a 1st year physics student being asked to take a quick "read over" the theory of relativity Thanks for your input once again Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    Not necessarily something your PC was not originally intended to do.

If you'll remember back to the Langa List days, Fred had a whole series on batchfile creation for cleaning temp files and others.
    They were very convenient and powerful little one or two click tools. I havn't tried the majority of them in windows 7, but I suspect,
    with a little reworking, some of them could be made to be viable.

I love them because of what they are not; Bloated installable programs.
    All of your intsall-able "cleanup" utilities, in theory, could be replaced with batchfiles.

Clint,

I do use one of Fred Langa's original batch files to clean up in Win 7 in addition to CCleaner as follows:

del /q /s "C:\Users\Ted\AppData\Local\Temp\*.*"

del /q /s "C:\Windows\Temp\*.*"

del /q /s "C:\Temp\*.*"

cleanmgr /sagerun:99

As can be seen this simple batch file will del (delete) all files (*.*) in the folders specified ("C:\Temp\*.*") I do not recall the exact perameters of the /q and /s switches at the moment.
    You can specify what folders to clean out. As can be seen I also set cleanmgr to a higher level of cleaning. Prior to running this batch file the first time I ran cleanmgr /sageset:99 in a command prompt. This sageset only has to be run once then the higher cleaning level is always used when sagerun:99 is used.

I save this batch file to the desktop as cleanup.bat

I originally saw this in a post Fred Langa wrote in his old Langa List many years ago. I believe it was originlly written for Win 95 or Win 98 and still works with minor modification for folder paths in Win 7.

I am unsure of an answer to Fred's original post and I also do not have the expertise with scripts or batch files.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    I will check them out. I'm still pretty much a "newbie" so don't know how much the links will help. Kinda like a 1st year physics student being asked to take a quick "read over" the theory of relativity
    At the Microsoft links on scripting there are several links on getting started. Some are videos, Some are just posts.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Fred - although I write and modify BATch files almost every day of my life, I would recommend, if you are starting from scratch, that you investigate PowerShell, which was written to be more powerful than the BATch language which we've had in rudimentary form since the mid-80s. As a (rather poor) comparison, does anyone still write code in the original BASIC language?!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    1. Replace "Trusted Installer" with me ( mostly untrustworthy)
    2. Replace " System " as the owner with, ME... who actually "owns" the PC
    When it comes down to scrpts & batch files, I'm in the same 'banana boat' as you. As to taking ownership, I read somewhere, that you can take ownership of C: Drive + sub folders. If I find it again, I will post.

Happy ? Reading.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    ) I do not recall the exact perameters of the /q and /s switches at the moment.
    Ted,

/q = quiet mode ... doesn't print a bunch of stuff on the screen
    /s = do it in all sub-directories of the directory specified.

You can get help on the batch system as follows:
    Win-7: In the search box type: cmd and hit Enter.
    Win-XP: Start->Run->Type: cmd.exe ->Enter
    Type: Help Enter - this gets you a list of commands.
    Type: command /? Enter - to get help on a specific command.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Thank you Retired Geek! Could not remember what these did.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I began learning about batch files, way back in the DOS 2.0 days, because that was my very first OS for a PC. (circa 1980)
    I guess I stopped learning at DOS 6.22, about the time I started messing around with Windows.
    I'm amazed at how much has been added to the batch language since then. I see batch files that are written today and many of them are way above my pay grade. (knowledge base)

I'm still stringing together simple DOS commands, to make batch files to backup data files, install stuff from my Utilities CD to a new PC and to cleanup junk files off of my hard drive. It's all pretty simple stuff. Do this, do that, then quit. Not much mystery in that. I was never much for the "for-next' or "If-then" loops, etc. There are enough guys out there who can write that stuff, so I never had to.
    I found out, that for everything you can think of to do, someone else has thought of it too and written a program to do it.
    Kelly's Corner, web site, is full of little scripts and batch files to do just about anything you'd ever want to do, to modify your PC.

As for registry scripts or Visual Basic Scripts, I strictly use other peoples files.

One thing I'm SO thankful for is the "Take Ownership" script. I use it every time I set up a new computer with Vista or Windows 7. It actually works, to an extent, on Windows XP.
    After I install it, I right click on every important folder, like "Program Files" and I take ownership of it. Also "Windows" !
    Now, that one takes a while, because of the thousands of files in that folder and it's sub's. It does add some time to the setup of a new PC, but, in the long run, it's well worth doing it once anyway. The ownership will stay in effect till you reinstall the OS. Then you have to do it again.

I do so many things to a new PC while setting it up that dealing with that UAC thing is absolutely infuriating and very time consuming.
    So to save time and preserve my own sanity, I just run another little script to "Disable UAC". I've actually combined "Take Ownership and Disable UAC" into the same script, to save time, since I'm going to run them both anyway.

I also run a batch file to shut down a whole gaggle of Services that don't need to be running and a reg script to tweak the registry to almost double the performance of windows.

Then you have to manually tell windows how many cores are in your CPU or it will always use just one, no matter how many you actually have. You'd think a computer coming out with four cores in the CPU would already have that information set in windows, wouldn't you? Wrong!

Here's a little blurb I found to set that core # thing and speed up boot times. It's assuming that you've already set the start menu to show you the RUN box.

Shorten the Boot Time in Vista

Go to the start button, choose run, then type msconfig and press Ok.
    On the system configuration window, choose Boot tab.
    Check No Gui Boot, then lower the timeout to a more manageable time.
    I choose 3 seconds.
    Next choose advanced options.
    This is where you can choose how many processors you have.
    Most modern PC's are duo core (2 processors) with some quad core (4 processors)
    then choose OK.
    Now choose apply and OK, reboot and you should see a marked decrease in boot time.

The list of things you can do to Win-Vista and Win-7 just goes on and on.
    Right out of the box, it's actually pretty SAD!

Cheers Mates
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Who View Post
    Shorten the Boot Time in Vista

Go to the start button, choose run, then type msconfig and press Ok.
    On the system configuration window, choose Boot tab.
    Check No Gui Boot, then lower the timeout to a more manageable time.
    I choose 3 seconds.
    Next choose advanced options.
    This is where you can choose how many processors you have.
    Most modern PC's are duo core (2 processors) with some quad core (4 processors)
    then choose OK.
    Now choose apply and OK, reboot and you should see a marked decrease in boot time.

The list of things you can do to Win-Vista and Win-7 just goes on and on.
    Right out of the box, it's actually pretty SAD!

Cheers Mates
    I have expounded upon this one in other threads and have been immediately chastised for believing it. I still do believe this one helps! I still use this one all the time.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Who View Post
    I also run a batch file to shut down a whole gaggle of Services that don't need to be running and a reg script to tweak the registry to almost double the performance of windows.

Hey Dr Who, can you show these batch files and reg script. I'm always looking for these things. Thanks.
    Cheers to you also. Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dr Who:

Kelley's Korner seems to be focused on XP. Do you use his scripts on W7? If not,
    do you or anyone else know of a comparable W7 site that you can recommend?
    I'm with Ted, and like to explore tweaks, scripts, etc.

Thanks,
    Dick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast