New Lounger
    Thanks
    I converted to Windows 7 from XP and have a problem that I can't resolve.

On XP I used a program called stripmail to remove indentations, etc. from text in the clipboard. I'd Ctrl-C the intended text and then press a function key to invoke stripmail.bat which massaged the text and placed it back into the clipboard, then a simple Ctrl-V to paste the text into a mail message.

[FWIW - stripmail.bat contains the single line stripmail.exe -d -x]

IIRC on XP I placed a shortcut into the Start Menu and assigned F11 as a shortcut key. With XP I simply pressed F11 and things were wonderful.

With Windows 7 it looks like shortcuts are Ctrl+Alt+<key>. O.K., I can live with that, but would prefer the single key.

Right now I can't get the Ctrl+Alt+F11 to invoke stripmail.bat. I've got the shortcut in my Start Menu (Target: "C:\Program Files\Stripmail\stripmail.bat; Start In: C:\Program Files\Stripmail"; Shortcut key: F11; Run: Normal window), but nothing happens when I Ctrl+Alt+F11.

Also, If I invoke the shortcut by selecting it from the Start Menu, I get the User Account Control window that asks if I want this program to make changes to the computer (I believe this can be solved by the Win 7 Application Compatibility Toolkit). However, the clipboard is unchanged!

If I "run" stripmail.bat everything works fine!

Call me puzzled in CA.

Any help would be appreciated!

TIA

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Ed,

I just did a test with an icon on my desktop.
    Right-Click & select Properties.
    On the Shortcut Tab I clicked into the Shortcut Key: field and pressed F11
    Clicked Apply.
    Clicked OK.
    Back at Desktop pressed F11 - program opened fine.

This would me to believe that it is not Win-7 but some problem with how you are calling your bat file {you might change it to .cmd} or in how you are assigning the the shortcut key.

Shortcut key: F11; Run: Normal window), but nothing happens when I Ctrl+Alt+F11.
    If this is how it shows it should work just pressing F11?

Below is my test setup:

Update: I just did some testing on a .cmd file and it worked fine. At this point I'd look at the security tab of your shortcut.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I also was able to set 4 different shortcuts on my desktop with shortcut keys. (I used F1 to F4 to test this) I have shortcuts I created on my desktop for Sleep, Logoff, Restart and Shutdown (These shortcuts allow me to perform these actions without going to the Start Orb). I added a shortcut key to all 4 and they work exactly as described by RetiredGeek. This action remained after a reboot.

I then was able to change the shortcut keys to a combo of Shift anf F keys. all worked as expected.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys for your replies. I thought I was set up to get notifications on this thread, but wasn't.

There were two "secrets". The first, was to change the extension from .bat to .cmd, the second was to change the security permissions on the shortcut to allow everyone read & execute the file.

What was "interesting" was that if I had a .bat extension there was some kind of DOS/Command window error that indicated that stripmail.bat had a problem. It just subliminally flashed, so I'm not sure what the problem was. I'm assuming it came from the windows command processor, because that is the program that Account Control asked permission for, prior to me changing the security properties.

I'm also curious how you created your shortcut (thanks for the image), as mine is different than yours.

My shortcut looks like this (I changed the shortcut to F10, also when it was a .bat file the Target Type was Windows Batch File:

[attachment=89691:Stripmail.PNG]

Note the Target Type and Target Location in particular. I'm not sure how you got yours to be associated with the Control Panel.

In case anyone is curious here is what I did to create my shortcut (which I'm pretty sure is what I did with XP):
    1. Went to C:\Program Files\Stripmail and right-clicked on stripmail.cmd and picked "Create shortcut" from the menu.
    2. A window appeared that said that windows couldn't create a shortcut there and asked if I wanted it placed on the desktop. I said yes and a shortcut to stripmail.cmd appeared on the desktop.
    3. I then clicked on the Start button and then right-clicked on right-clicked on "All Programs" and chose "Open All Users"
    4. I then navigated to "Programs" -> "Accessories" and copied the desktop's stripmail.cmd shortcut there.
    5. I changed this shortcut's properties to have F10 as the shortcut key and the security tab to allow everyone to have read & execute permissions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Shortcuts on desktop:

How To Geek lists how to create a shortcut for Shutdown, Restart, and Sleep

For Logoff, Right click on the desktop and choose New, Shortcut then type or browse to C:\Windows\System32\logoff.exe and paste or type into box, then OK.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted,
    Thanks, but a Shortcut created that way has exactly the same properties as my way. RetiredGeek's method is diffferent (and a mystery to me).

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Shortcuts on desktop:

How To Geek lists how to create a shortcut for Shutdown, Restart, and Sleep

For Logoff, Right click on the desktop and choose New, Shortcut then type or browse to C:\Windows\System32\logoff.exe and paste or type into box, then OK.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Note the Target Type and Target Location in particular. I'm not sure how you got yours to be associated with the Control Panel.
    Ed,

I created the shortcut by opening the control panel, right clicking on one of the icons, selecting send to desktop.
    Then I right clicked on the desktop icon and selected properties to assign the shortcut key. The window looks different because your shortcut is to a .cmd or .bat file which has more options.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs