3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I created a trivial VB6 program for a friend. I used the Package and Deployment Wizard to create the setup package.

Recently we reinstalled Windows XP on her laptop. We reinstalled all the software that she used before, but this program will NOT install.

After running setup.exe from the ZIP file, we see a screen that says "Install" at the top, and "Copying Files, please stand by" in the main window. It seems to hang, and mostly locks up Windows. I can shutdown Windows, then after I restart, I get messages about how the setup program was deleted, and did not finish completely.

It also tells me about the ST6UNST.001 file in the C:\Windows directory. According to this log file, the setup program crashed shortly after the "bootstrap" section.

I have Googled to try to find the cause of this problem. So far, I have not found anything conclusive.

================================================== ==========
    Contents of file: ST6UNST.001
    ================================================== ==========

%% PLEASE DO NOT MODIFY OR DELETE THIS FILE! %%
    %% This file contains information about the installation of an application. %%
    %% It will be used to automatically remove all application components from your computer
    if you choose to do so. %%

NOTE: Beginning of the bootstrapper section

CONFIG: Title: "Mc-TagIt"

ACTION: RegKey: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion", "SharedDLLs"

ACTION: SystemFile: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\VB6STKIT.DLL"
    (File currently on disk was already up to date)

ACTION: SystemFile: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\COMCAT.DLL"

ACTION: SystemFile: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\STDOLE2.TLB"

ACTION: SystemFile: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ASYCFILT.DLL"

ACTION: SystemFile: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\OLEPRO32.DLL"

ACTION: SystemFile: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\OLEAUT32.DLL"

ACTION: SystemFile: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSVBVM60.DLL"

ACTION: DllSelfRegister: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\COMCAT.DLL"

ACTION: TLBRegister: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\STDOLE2.TLB"

ACTION: DllSelfRegister: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\OLEPRO32.DLL"

ACTION: DllSelfRegister: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\OLEAUT32.DLL"

ACTION: DllSelfRegister: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSVBVM60.DLL"

NOTE: End of the bootstrapper section

------------------------------------
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My friend's PC became so unstable that we decided it was time to reinstall Windows - after only two months!! I reinstalled Windows XP on her laptop this week. This time around, I knew what to expect, so I captured several backup images along the way.

After lengthy analysis, the conclusion is that Norton Antivirus 2010 is the culprit. I tried turning off every option available, but the "plain vanilla" VB6 programs would not install. The setup bootstrap program hung and locked up the computer EVERY time.

I went back to the image I had created prior to installing Norton Antivirus 2010. Then I could install both of the VB6 programs with no difficulty. I think there must be some "one in a thousand" conflict between the Norton Antivirus 2010 and the Windows XP installation that was created by the Recovery partition on her Toshiba L300 laptop.

We certainly had no similar problems two years ago when we did the initial installations of these identical VB6 programs. Back then she had Norton Antivirus 2008 installed on the laptop.

She is now using Microsoft Security Essentials on the new Windows XP installation. I have tested it on some other laptops, and it does an adequate job.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)