Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My HP computer comes with 2 primary partitions on one disk. Partition C (NTFS) holds the system and all programs, and takes up most of the disk space. Partition D (FAT32) is the HP recovery partition, occupying the remainder of the disk.
    I've had this computer for 2 or 3 years, and I'll never use the recovery partition (I have a set of recovery CD's, if I need them). What I'd like to do is delete the D partition, and expand the C partition to occupy the entire drive (I'm not talking about grafting the D partition to C, but actually deleting the D partition and expanding C to occupy the entire drive). I know I can do this with a 3rd party program such as Partition Magic, but can I do it using the Windows XP Disk Management Utility instead? How about some other reliable freeware that would do the job?
    I'm not hurting for disk space, so rather than purchasing a program that I'll probably only use once, I'll leave things as they are if I can't do it with Windows or freeware.
    Thanks for any instructions/suggestions.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    this is the best I have used, simple, fast and free....

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Thanks
    Partition Wizard is also highly regarded (and free!)
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Diskpart.exe, which is on your machine, followed by Dell's Extpart. All from within Windows.

Ultimately you are better off adding another disk, changing your home directory and moving all your data to the new disk. Then you can leave the recovery partition as is.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can the EaseUS product unallocate a protected recovery partition and move data if need be while running in Windows? Or is there a provision to boot with the product and perform such operations? I tried the product a while back but had to go with GParted live CD to get the heavy lifting done because the operations were not possible to perform from within Windows.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all for your replies.

I have downloaded both EASEUS and Partition Wizard, and I'm studying them now to decide which to use. Also, I'd like to read the response to Byron's question.

PT, I looked at Microsoft's description and instructions for using Diskpart.exe (don't have Dell's program yet), and it looks like it would make what I want to do more complicated than it has to be, if indeed the other recommended programs would do the job. Also, I don't need or want another disk. My C partition is currently 123 GB in size, of which I'm only using 18.1GB. I'd rather not add the extra heat and power load to my computer that another disk would bring with it, and I don't want to put in the significant amount of time it would take to move my data to the new disk. I have both the recovery CD's from HP and an Acronis disk image, in case I need to restore my system. I wouldn't want to restore from the several year old D partition anyway - it took me a long time to remove the junkware that came with the machine. No way I'm gonna put it back!

Again, thanks for your suggestions - they've been very helpful.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Byron,

I can't answer your specific question. However, the Easeus product does do processes (such as resizing the booted OS partition) that require a reboot. When the machine reboots, it is running some sort of easeus shell. When the partition process is completed, the machine again reboots and windows starts normally.

One thing I can't understand is its speed. I can resize a primary partition, create and format a new partition on the open space and it will complete all the processes in less than 5 minutes......

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    One thing I can't understand is its speed
    That action is fast because there is no data to move, just a small modification to the disk record and the file table, all of which can be done with Windows running using the method I outlined above.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Feinstein View Post
    Thanks all for your replies.

I have downloaded both EASEUS and Partition Wizard, and I'm studying them now to decide which to use. Also, I'd like to read the response to Byron's question.

PT, I looked at Microsoft's description and instructions for using Diskpart.exe (don't have Dell's program yet), and it looks like it would make what I want to do more complicated than it has to be, if indeed the other recommended programs would do the job. Also, I don't need or want another disk. My C partition is currently 123 GB in size, of which I'm only using 18.1GB. I'd rather not add the extra heat and power load to my computer that another disk would bring with it, and I don't want to put in the significant amount of time it would take to move my data to the new disk. I have both the recovery CD's from HP and an Acronis disk image, in case I need to restore my system. I wouldn't want to restore from the several year old D partition anyway - it took me a long time to remove the junkware that came with the machine. No way I'm gonna put it back!

Again, thanks for your suggestions - they've been very helpful.

Les,

I did exactly what you are asking with Partition Wizard. it was very easy. I also was never going back to the manufacturer installed old OS and wanted to reclaim the space. It's a 2 step process.

Warning: Be sure you select the correct partition to delete. Make sure the partitions you wish to save are named so it's very easy to identify them from the recovery partition you wish to elliminate.

First you have to delete the partition. If I remember correctly you can select this partition and reformat. (You may have to delete it then reformat it). You then have to resize your OS partition to include this space. Since I have already done this, I am unable to give screen shots of the exact steps, sorry.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My HP computer comes with 2 primary partitions on one disk. Partition C (NTFS) holds the system and all programs, and takes up most of the disk space. Partition D (FAT32) is the HP recovery partition, occupying the remainder of the disk.
    I've had this computer for 2 or 3 years, and I'll never use the recovery partition (I have a set of recovery CD's, if I need them). What I'd like to do is delete the D partition, and expand the C partition to occupy the entire drive (I'm not talking about grafting the D partition to C, but actually deleting the D partition and expanding C to occupy the entire drive). I know I can do this with a 3rd party program such as Partition Magic, but can I do it using the Windows XP Disk Management Utility instead? How about some other reliable freeware that would do the job?
    I'm not hurting for disk space, so rather than purchasing a program that I'll probably only use once, I'll leave things as they are if I can't do it with Windows or freeware.
    Thanks for any instructions/suggestions.
    easus partition master for me

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, regarding your warning about clearly naming my partitions;
    They are currently named as follows:

HP_PAVILION (C
    HP_RECOVERY (D

This should be sufficiently clear, shouldn't it?

If I do choose to rename a partition, my understanding is that I go into My Computer, right-click on the drive/partition I wish to rename, and select Properties. Then it's a simple matter of changing the partition name that appears there. Is this correct, or is there something I'm overlooking?

In any case, thanks for the warning - I'd hate to accidentally delete the wrong partition.

Also, if I delete a partition, why would I have to reformat it? Can't Partition Wizard just expand my C: partition into the empty space where D: used to be?

Thanks for your insights.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If the partitions are labeled as such in the partition management software then yes, follow that. I often use software that does not use such naming conventions and so the trick I use is to go by partition size which is always listed and is a good double check in any case.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quCan't Partition Wizard just expand my C: partition into the empty space where D: used to be?

[/quote]

resizing, deleting, reformating and whole lot can be done by partition wizard and most partition softwares out there.

Thanks
    Ted, regarding your warning about clearly naming my partitions;
    They are currently named as follows:

HP_PAVILION (C
    HP_RECOVERY (D

Thanks for your insights.
    This should be clear enough. It just has to be clear enough so that you can help distinguish between the partitions. As Byron states you can also usually tell by the partition size. The point is you do not want to delete the wrong one. Mine is called TedWin7 (C Using a description such as this is even more important if you are dual booting with 2 seperate versions of Windows. I do not remember the exact sequence for renaming a partition in XP. I believe you are correct but I'm not sure. It has been a while since I removed my Recovery partition but if memory serves me correctly (That is definitely not a given) the deleted partition has to be formated so that the "C" drive can reclaim the space. Once deleted it is considered unallocated space. You may not have to reformat it, but a quick format takes very little time.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    HP_PAVILION (C
    HP_RECOVERY (D

That may be good enough for you, but I need much more ! !

My data drive was known as "Data (D"
    It is now known as "D_Data (D"

I like all my partitions to commence the label with the preferred Drive Letter then underscore then meaningful name.

One day something went wrong with XP, and it still managed to boot into the system drive and consider that as drive C:\
    BUT all the other partitions were allocated drive letters in alphabetical sequence that was partly related to the physical order of partitions,
    and partly related to whether it was FAT32 or NTFS, and partly which HDD.

I was lost with 5 wrong drive letters allocated to partitions on the internal drive, and 6 more wrong on the external drive.
    Desktop short-cuts were also bad.
    I had no trouble changing a drive letter.
    It was quite tedious trying to decide on an order of change;
    if X: and Y: need to swap you cannot change X: to Y: until you change Y:, and vice versa,
    and when 11 drive letters are badly mixed up a lot of partitions will have to shuffle through several tempory letters.
    BUT THE KILLER was that I had not memorised the correct letters for each partition label, and that hurt, it took time and effort,
    so once I finally fixed the drive letters I immediately added to each a drive label a reminder of the correct drive letter.

I am now ready for the next O.S. calamity.
    I also like/need this reminder when using a Boot CD which shows labels but not the letters (partition manager or image restoration etc.)

Alan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast