Thread: Slowing down

New Lounger
    Thanks
    "File Level CDP Manager Service has encountered a problem and had to shut down" After getting this message everything slows down and I lose the icon for Acronis intermittent backup. Sometimes it slows down without the icon problem. This started right after installing the latest MS updates. I can go for several hours or a few minutes and the problem presents itself. Most of the time a reboot will help again for several hours or a few minutes.

As you have all experienced at some time or other, it's driving me nuts. ( - :

I am meticulous about keeping things clean and have scanned with all of the protection programs to see if there is anything that shouldn't be there and it all looks clean. Doing a search I did see a reference to a corrupted file for something similar but the description of the message doesn't match exactly.

Thanks
    This link will show you how to perform a clean boot;M$ :-)
    What operating system are you running?
    Does the File Level CDP Mangager depend on .NET?
    If you are running windows 7,go to start globe click on all programs then accessories.Right click on command prompt run as administrator.Then type in sfc /scannow notice the space between the sfc /.Here's more information; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833;How to use the SFC
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I meant to include that I am using XP Pro SP3.

There were couple of programs which I installed shortly before the MS updates arrived one of which required the .NET software. I installed .Net based on the answer to an inquiry to the WS Lounge about should I or shouldn't I. All answers came back positive. Despite Susan Bradley's admonitions against using .NET, I did it anyway and then updated via the MS Updates when they arrived. I don't fault the answers from my inquiry. I'm sure they have used it without any problems so those would be the logical answers.

If I use the Clean Boot fix, since the problem is intermittent, will I still be able to narrow down the problem. Everything has been working fine since before sending my request but I don't know when the problem will reoccur. It may go the rest of the night without a problem as has happened sometimes.

Just wanted to give you as much info as I can.

Can I just uninstall .NET and see what happens. The program which it supports isn't necessary and I could live nicely without it. Would taking it out, cause another problem without removing the associated program.

All of my rambling assumes that the problem is because of .NET but your mention of it along with Susan's comments along with what I did in the same time period makes me suspicious that .NET could be the cause.

I'm definitely a long way from being an expert though which is why I definitely need your expertise.

Thanks
    I would leave the .NET alone.Now that you mentioned that you installed a couple of programs.BEFORE the MS updates.Makes me think that very well could be the trouble?If you want to UNinstall the couple of programs in question.I suggest that you use this FREE program;Revo UninstallerAfter you install this FREE program click on the HELP icon @ the top of the page that will open,read it really good.Because it does a through job! I don't belive a clean boot is called for @ this point & time.In my humble opinion.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HisSon View Post
    I meant to include that I am using XP Pro SP3.

There were couple of programs which I installed shortly before the MS updates arrived one of which required the .NET software. I installed .Net based on the answer to an inquiry to the WS Lounge about should I or shouldn't I. All answers came back positive. Despite Susan Bradley's admonitions against using .NET, I did it anyway and then updated via the MS Updates when they arrived. I don't fault the answers from my inquiry. I'm sure they have used it without any problems so those would be the logical answers.

If I use the Clean Boot fix, since the problem is intermittent, will I still be able to narrow down the problem. Everything has been working fine since before sending my request but I don't know when the problem will reoccur. It may go the rest of the night without a problem as has happened sometimes.

Just wanted to give you as much info as I can.

Can I just uninstall .NET and see what happens. The program which it supports isn't necessary and I could live nicely without it. Would taking it out, cause another problem without removing the associated program.

All of my rambling assumes that the problem is because of .NET but your mention of it along with Susan's comments along with what I did in the same time period makes me suspicious that .NET could be the cause.

I'm definitely a long way from being an expert though which is why I definitely need your expertise.
    if you suspect that ms updates is the culprit why your pc is slowing down i dont see any problem why you shouldn't uninstall it since you can reinstall it again just so you know. i would also recommend cleaning your pc from unwanted or any softwares or program that may be running in the background and that you dont need. also defrag your harddrive regularly to keep it at good speed goodluck thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I apologize for the very late response. I have been experiencing several different problems and have been trying to get things straightened out. This problem, however, seemed to have resolved itself. I can't give you a definite connection to any one thing.

Please know that I never just go away from any request for help without letting responders know what happened even if it takes awhile.

Thanks you bong tubera and chower for responding.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Loose screws on the main board also causes wierd behavior. Snug them all up while off but still plugged in and don't drop your screwdriver into the circuits. They are all grounds. You could also reseat all connectors one at a time including the ram. It could be ram that has some flaky upper addresses too.