New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried to install SP3 twice and gotten an "Access denied" message. There is no explanation what caused the problem. After answering the message there is a rollback of the install.

Any ideas on determining what the problem is or how to get around it?

Thanks.

jn
    Jim Neely
    www.jneely.net

Thanks
    In Windows XP Pro, that Administrator account is not listed on the login screen, unless it's the only account on the machine. You can still log into it, though ... by rebooting into 'Safe Mode'. Press F8 when Windows begins to boot, and you'll be given a list of boot options, one of which is 'Safe Mode'. Select that, and the 'Administrator' account will appear on the login screen.

From here it's easy. Once you've signed in as 'Administrator':

Right-click on My Computer

Click on Manage

Expand Local Users and Groups

Click on Groups

Double click on Administrators

Click on Add

Enter the account name on this machine that you want to assign administrative privileges to.

OK your way back out.

Now reboot your machine normally, and the account you selected should now have administrative access.
    XP home should work the same way.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks.

jn
    Jim Neely
    www.jneely.net

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, JoeP.

Looks like that's what's happening. One of the suggested solutions should work,

jn
    Jim Neely
    www.jneely.net

Thanks
    Well, I got SP3 to install just fine. BUT, I can't get I.E. 8 to install.
    Last night I.E. 7 downloaded and installed via the Auto Updates. I didn't even ask for it.

Is there somewhere that someone can find a list of pre-requisites for installing things like SP3 or I.E. 8???

Something like, you must have SP2 and all its updates, before you can install SP3, or
    you must first have I.E. 7 and all its updates before you can get I.E. 8.......

Where would we find that kind of info?

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Hi Dr.,

SP3 may have installed, but possibly with some problems. Check this MS bulletin on Steps to take... before you install SP3. If IE7 was installed prior to SP3, you might consider uninstalling IE7 and then SP3, and then reinstall SP3 and IE7 in that order. Here is the MS link for tips on uninstalling SP3.

I know you are having difficulty installing IE8 at this time, but Windows Update will attempt to send that one down the pike just as it did IE7. You can change your Windows Update preference by selecting the option to notify you when updates are available, but allow you to decide when to download and install. In most cases, this will stop any unpleasant surprises, but MS has been known to sneak a few in at times regardless of this setting.

Do you get any kind of error message when you attempt to install IE8?

Since you now have IE 7 installed, go to the MS Windows Update site to see if there are any critical or recommended updates for IE7. Windows Update may be a little slow in notifying you of updates.

I personally am unaware of any central depository of prerequisites for installing MS software. As far as I know, this must be done by searching the MS Knowledge Base. Maybe another lounger has better insight into this issue. SP3 is supposed to include all updates released since the availability of SP2.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    One rule of thumb to consider when faced with the prospect of downloading many windows updates is:
    Don't download & install everything at once, you'll increase your likelihood of an issue.

As far as the XP, SP-3 service pack is concerned, it's better to download it from Microsoft's alternate source, like this:
    Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers
    Download Size: 316.4 MB
    Save the full service pack to disk and periodically check back for additions, you then can install it at your convenience.

This works particularly well with clean installs.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.