Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran the program, WhatInStarup and would like this community to analyze it for me and give advice. My wonderful but old Toshiba (7yr old) PC running Windows XP needs a little cleanup. It is now my secondary computer and will be relegated to other tasks now that I have a newer Windows7 system (also a Toshiba)

I have attached a jpeg of a screenshot I took of the results of WhatInStartup scan. Comments and suggestions are welcome and needed. I have disabled "ezShield Protector for PC" as I have no idea what that is, however I have been getting a 'pop-up' telling me it cannot 'connect' to a server. Research pointed to some sort of scanning software that may have installed itself without being invited. That may be the unnvited 'guest.

What do you all think of this scan? Waiting with 'bated' breath.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life is short, eat dessert first.[media]http://www.radreise-verlag.de/UBCmedorand.jpg[/media]

Thanks
    There is something that you could easily do; Take all these programs your unsure of and do an individual google search for
    them. This will give you a little more information about what they do and the name of their respective program.

Here is an example:
    ezShield Protector for PC
    Appears to be associated with Sony SonicStage Easy Systems Drag’n Drop CD & DVD writing software, which is found on most Japanese computers (such as Toshiba).
    This is a valid program that is required to run at startup.
    This program is required to run on startup in order to benefit from its functionality or so that the program will work. The following information is a brief description of what is known about this file. If you require further assistance for this file, feel free to ask about in the forums.
    Name: ezShieldProtector for Px
    Filename: ezSP_Px.exe
    Fix ezSP_Px.exe errors: Try a Registry Scan
    Command: Unknown at this time.
    Description: Engine that allows PrimoDVD from Veritas (was Prassi) and Drag'n Drop CD from Easy Systems (and maybe others) to record and protects against other software overwriting the settings
    File Location: Unknown
    Startup Type: Currently being identified.
    000StTHK.exe
    ARGSMMSG.exe

Many of these start ups can be removed. For a good housecleaning, go into you control panels add/remove programs
    and start uninstalling software you no longer need. If the program you want to uninstall has a running process, it would be
    advisable to remove or disable it's startup process prior to uninstalling via it's uninstaller program.

These other programs may be of assistance in tracking down unknown programs, files, or start up processes;
    Autoruns for Windows v10.02
    Autoruns for Windows v10.02
    By Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell

Published: July 22, 2010
    Introduction:
    This utility, which has the most comprehensive knowledge of auto-starting locations of any startup monitor, shows you what programs are configured to run during system bootup or login, and shows you the entries in the order Windows processes them. These programs include ones in your startup folder, Run, RunOnce, and other Registry keys. You can configure Autoruns to show other locations, including Explorer shell extensions, toolbars, browser helper objects, Winlogon notifications, auto-start services, and much more. Autoruns goes way beyond the MSConfig utility bundled with Windows Me and XP.
    Process Explorer v12.04
    By Mark Russinovich
    Published: June 8, 2010
    Introduction:

Ever wondered which program has a particular file or directory open? Now you can find out. Process Explorer shows you information about which handles and DLLs processes have opened or loaded.
    The Process Explorer display consists of two sub-windows. The top window always shows a list of the currently active processes, including the names of their owning accounts, whereas the information displayed in the bottom window depends on the mode that Process Explorer is in: if it is in handle mode you'll see the handles that the process selected in the top window has opened; if Process Explorer is in DLL mode you'll see the DLLs and memory-mapped files that the process has loaded. Process Explorer also has a powerful search capability that will quickly show you which processes have particular handles opened or DLLs loaded.
    Let me know if this helps.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    You have 28 apps starting with Windows. This is nuts. All these startups are using CPU and RAM. I have to believe your system is slow. All I have running at start up is my Alps Touchpad software and my MSE AV/AM, nothing more. I would start by elliminating all the apps that do NOT need to run in the background. None of the Acronis stuff, none of the Adobe stuff. You have several seperate security apps running together and this can cause problemss. Choose 1 AV and 1 AM app, or better stop them all and run MSE. You just don't need most of these things running in the background. One problem with installing apps, and with the manufacturer garbage they always seem to install is that all this stuff thinks it's so important that it should always be running to instantly respond when needed. That is bunk. Stop it ALL. You will be impressed how much quicker your PC is!!! Cheers, Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree about the startup nonsense. I was told by a friend to try it, and by eliminating all of them, then seeing if things
    worked or not...........I couldn't tell the difference in any of the responses. If you notice, you have the option of
    disabling them all..........Try it yourself. It worked for me. When you click on a program, it starts whether it was
    already running in the background or not.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    You have 28 apps starting with Windows. This is nuts. All these startups are using CPU and RAM. I have to believe your system is slow. All I have running at start up is my Alps Touchpad software and my MSE AV/AM, nothing more. I would start by elliminating all the apps that do NOT need to run in the background. None of the Acronis stuff, none of the Adobe stuff. You have several seperate security apps running together and this can cause problemss. Choose 1 AV and 1 AM app, or better stop them all and run MSE. You just don't need most of these things running in the background. One problem with installing apps, and with the manufacturer garbage they always seem to install is that all this stuff thinks it's so important that it should always be running to instantly respond when needed. That is bunk. Stop it ALL. You will be impressed how much quicker your PC is!!! Cheers, Ted
    Thanks Ted and I would certainly eliminate some of these if I knew which ones are non essential.
    I did find Run>open>services.msc and switched many of the processes to 'manual'. Guess I will see what happens after I do all this.

To Clint: I did download and run Process Explorer but I was not sure which to 'Kill' or what that would do. Does it eliminate the process entirely, never to be able to be used again? So I didn't do it.
    Life is short, eat dessert first.[media]http://www.radreise-verlag.de/UBCmedorand.jpg[/media]

Thanks
    I have included a shot for you of what I would elliminate. I would also try msconfig.exe in the startup tab. This may show processes versus apps. I would be careful of stopping processes. Some will be stopped automatically when you stop an app at startup. Try stopping these and see what happens.

[attachment=89631:2010-08-15_0812.png]

I have included a shot of what msconfig.exe shows is running in the background on my PC:

[attachment=89632:2010-08-15_0817.png]

2010-08-15_0838.png

As you can see, only 2 apps are running in the background. I am reluctant to stop processes. I do not wish to kill something I want going and this can happen. Some of the remaining items can most likely be stopped as well. Do a google search for the filename to see what it is and see if it's vital.

Sorry the last shot is a link. I was attempting to use an image from another post and am not sure how to do it.

Good Luck!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again Ted, this has been a very productive Sunday for me. I am really learning quite a lot. The old machine is getting a new life.
    Windows XP is still a viable OS ... ten years and still going strong. I hope Windows 7 will prove to be a long runner too. (although I have heard that there may be a 'new' OS by Microsoft in the next years)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Microsoft has major releases of desktop versions of Windows every 2 - 3 years (usually close to three than two). Windows XP was RTM'd (release to manufacturing) August 2001. Windows XP SP2 (included becuase many people feel it could/should have been a major release) was RTM'd August 2004. Windows Vista was RTM'd November 2006. Windows 7 was RTM'd July 2009. So, expect another release to be RTM'd in summer 2012.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK... here is my new ProcessExplorer list.
    Analysis, comments?
    BTW, bootup performance is improved, though not as fast as it was when I reloaded the systems 'Recovery' discs 2 years ago. (HDD crash and new HDD installed) I expected it to be fast, since I had nothing loaded on it [attachment=89647:ProcessExplorer.jpg]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    The second best "speed up" tweak for any Windows os is to go through all your installed programs list and
    uninstall any programs you never or rarely use.
    Find replacements for those applications that are heavy on systems resources, if possible...and live with those you can't.
    Curtail the startup of all those that are not mission critical, including some laptop hotkeys: Some of them are useless,
    only you can decide that.

Decide whether it's worth your time waiting for the os to boot up with all fully functional programs from the start, or
    wait for specific programs to load at the time they are needed, like Skype for example.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Garrett View Post
    OK... here is my new ProcessExplorer list.
    Analysis, comments?
    BTW, bootup performance is improved, though not as fast as it was when I reloaded the systems 'Recovery' discs 2 years ago. (HDD crash and new HDD installed) I expected it to be fast, since I had nothing loaded on it [attachment=89647:ProcessExplorer.jpg]
    uninstall mcafee

Thanks
    I concur with Bong, McAfee has lost much of it's following in recent months. They have had severe security issues. I would switch to a free AV/AM app that has a much smaller footprint than McAfee. I use MSE. It is a free AV/AM directly from MS and has been high rated and spoken of in these forums.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bong tubera View Post
    uninstall mcafee
    MacAfee is free to me but with what would you recommend to replace it? Something free and something extensive. Anti virus, anti spyware, rootkit protection AND a good firewall.... but easy to configure?

MacAfee is good however it is always bogging down my computer and saps the resources of my PC. I am running MS Essentials on my Windows 7 system but I don't believe there is a version for XP.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Garrett View Post
    I am running MS Essentials on my Windows 7 system but I don't believe there is a version for XP.
    MSE does run on XP. See Security Essentials System Requirements | Microsoft Security Essentials for more details.

Many people do not like the firewall included with XP. You might want to use a third party firewall such as ZoneAlarm by Check Point or Comodo Firewall.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Hi Barbara,

I use Online Armor Free on XP, and it is easy to work with and very effective.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast