New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have recently clean installed Windows 7 on my desktop machine which previously ran Windows Vista. When I tried to install software for my HP All-in-one J6480, the software did not run "because it thinks the operating system is Windows XP SP3". I then ran Sysinspector, and, indeed, it said I am running Windows XP, as follows:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (Build 2600) (5.1.2600)

Then I ran Systems Information (siw.exe) and it gave me the following puzzling information:

Underlying Operating System: Windows 7 SP3
    Emulated Operating System: Windows XP Personal Service Pack 3

I am totally stymied by this information. I could not find anything useful in the registry.

Can anybody help resolve that problem?

Hellmut

Thanks
    I this a retail version of Win 7? Which version of Win 7? I would think you may have to reinstall as something did not install correctly. Where did you get the DVD containing Win7? Is it from a reputable dealer? This is really strange.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Sounds like either a fudged clean install...
    What kind of disk did you use; One of the retail versions of Windows 7, or an OEM version
    from a manufacturer like Dell or HP?
    Or was it an imaged Dell or HP OEM with Windows XP mode active? (if that is possible)

What does "msinfo32" say?
    Type in run box "msinfo32" without quotes.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    If you decide to reformat your hard.Here's a FREE & very effective program;Darik's Boot & Nuke
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for all your replies. Running msinfo32 shows the following:
    OS Name: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    Version: 6.1.7600 Build 7600

My son bought the software for me at the Microsoft store (he is an employee); and it is a validated version. I am also running another copy of Windows 7 on my second computer (also changed from Vista) and I have no problems.

Hellmut

Thanks
    I would do a complete reinstall of Win 7 using the Custom (Clean) install option. Something really got fudged in the original install.

BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Make sure you are not installing the printer software from the disk you got with the printer. You should get the win 7 software and drivers for the printer at the HP site instead of using your original disk. Go Here to get the right drivers and software.

Thanks
    OMG, Mary might have it right. Perhaps your CD has only XP drivers on it. Good Pick up Mary. That's a thumbs Up for you.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I am using the right up-to-date software from HP. It works fine on my other machine, but on the problem computer it does not even load, because it "thinks" and reports that the
    operating system is XP. I really do not want to re-install Windows 7, but ...

Thanks
    Remove Windows XP Mode, virtual machines, or Windows Virtual PC
    I can think of no other way that windows XP has managed to get on your system other than through XP mode, or through upgrade install from Vista with XP mode in place, if that is even possible. Go back, in your mind, and figure out how you did your "clean
    install", because it was not cleanly installed.

If you do not want to reinstall Windows 7 then use the windows XP's drivers for your all in one HP device.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellmut Golde View Post
    I have recently clean installed Windows 7 on my desktop machine which previously ran Windows Vista. When I tried to install software for my HP All-in-one J6480, the software did not run "because it thinks the operating system is Windows XP SP3". I then ran Sysinspector, and, indeed, it said I am running Windows XP, as follows:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (Build 2600) (5.1.2600)

Then I ran Systems Information (siw.exe) and it gave me the following puzzling information:

I am totally stymied by this information. I could not find anything useful in the registry.

Can anybody help resolve that problem?

Hellmut
    are you using virtual PC? xp mode?

Thanks

Exclamation

I have installed W7 3 times and still have remnants of Vista. It does not format the D recovery drive. And I am going to try once more.I wanted for wipe my whole hard drive but was told I could not use my upgrade disc. I don't think so as long as I use startup with disc in DVD drive. What is the worse thing is that all my old Vista HP drivers were updated. Over 8,000 bits I had to remove.

I fussed at Driver Whiz and HP. I am now saying it is a custom machine not a Vista hp number xx. xx Ugrading to w7 somehow got ignored. . Very frustrating.

By the way I like your default font (or is it what I put in my system to use.) Sure could not see the W7 tiny letters.

Love the Lounge and you all.
    Avie

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Avie is me View Post
    I have installed W7 3 times and still have remnants of Vista. It does not format the D recovery drive. And I am going to try once more.I wanted for wipe my whole hard drive but was told I could not use my upgrade disc. I don't think so as long as I use startup with disc in DVD drive. What is the worse thing is that all my old Vista HP drivers were updated. Over 8,000 bits I had to remove.

I fussed at Driver Whiz and HP. I am now saying it is a custom machine not a Vista hp number xx. xx Ugrading to w7 somehow got ignored. . Very frustrating.

By the way I like your default font (or is it what I put in my system to use.) Sure could not see the W7 tiny letters.

Love the Lounge and you all.
    Avie
    Avie, Welcome to the Lounge!

Check Paul Thurrott's Windows Supersite for directions on installing from upgrade media. Use a 3rd party partitioning app such as the free Partition Wizard to remove the Vista recovery partition. I did so very successfully and was able to add this space back into my main partition.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted