Thread: MSE slow

Thanks
    I have a 5+ yr old computer. I need to replace but for now I live with it. Pentium 4, 2.00 GHz, 512 RAM, WinXP Pro, SP2. Before anyone suggests SP3, my office tech told me that while it might handle XP3, it would slow it down even more than it is now.

But my question to you deals with MSE. While I like it, it seems to take over my computer at times. Whenever it is updating or scanning, CPU usage maxes out at 100%. After scanning or updating, everything else has slowed down so much that I need to reboot to clear things up.

Is it just my old comp and lack of ram, or is there something else going on that I'm missing?

Thanks for any suggestions. I'll be off computer tonight but will check back tomorrow for any replies.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    512MB was the bare minimum of RAM to be useful when XP was released. You really need to add RAM to the system. IF the PC will take 2GB that is what you should have. More RAM should help considerably.

You need to have SP3 to get any future security updates.

Joe

Joe

Thanks
    The best thing you could do for that computer if you have to live with it, is upgrade your RAM to 3 GBs if your board will allow for it.
    Everything is slowing down because you have no memory and your system is relying more on the pagefile, and an older slower hard drive.
    Then consider doing a clean install with SP-3.

Create a partition or two if you haven't already.
    When you go to install all your programs, be very choosy with what is starting up with the operating system. Many programs can be configured, fine tuned, or opt out of startup.
    Then organize it so that as much of your personal data is relocated to another partition, like personal photos, music, videos, & downloaded drivers/programs.
    Your email storage folder, in many instances, can be stored on a separate partition, as is the same with your documents folder.
    Get your services down to something manageable, like 30-36.
    Running CCleaner and doing a thorough defrag will also help.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Can you provide a shot of what apps are starting in msconfig.exe, start up tab (Included a sshot of what I have running)? This will show what apps are starting when windows starts. All these apps consume system resources, and your resources are at a minimum to start with. I agree with Joe and Clint that additional RAM will help. Another app that will help with the Start Up apps is What's In Startup by Nirsoft. A screen shot of my What's in Startup is included.

[attachment=89633:2010-08-15_0838.png]

[attachment=89634:2010-08-15_0839.png]

Shutting down unneccesary apps can help to speed things up, but more RAM will be a big help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Thanks for confirming what I thought.. not enough memory. I have already ordered more memory. I plan to replace this machine but not tomorrow

I run a fairly clean setup, always have, even way back with Win95. The hard drive is partitioned and I regularly do all the wonderful things you suggest.