New Lounger
    Thanks
    This thread was prompted by the numerous comments by folks that the way to fix a problem with a piece of software is to "disable the antivirus" or "disable the firewall" I hope this is the right place for this discussion. It could also be in some sort of antivirus/firewall section or in a youtube problems section. I chose windows general because all of my issues or multiple versions of windows.

I never "disable a firewall" or "disable the antivirus" because:

1) I don't know how to easily disable it.
    2) It leaves me vulnerable until I re-enable it.
    3) I don't know how to re-enable it.

The only way I know of to disable it is to go into task manager and shut it down... Then the only way to re-enable it is to reboot. Seems pretty sloppy and risky to me...

My specific example is that I am running Windows Security Essentials in both Win 7 Home 64 and Win XP Pro SP3 (different machines). I think that includes a software firewall, although I can't find any positive confirmation of that.

The issue that finally convinced me to bring this to the lounge is that youtube is not working. What it does is when you click on a youtube movie, a window opens that is essentially black with a spinning circle of black dots in the middle. That's all it does... Forever, until I shut it down.

Support folks say that all you need is to make sure Adobe Flash Player is up to date and that all older copies of Flash Player have been deleted. There is even an app that Adobe provides to clean things up, apparently because Flash Player is so screwy that simple install/update processes can't (or won't) clean up after themselves. At any rate, I ran that several times and reinstalled to no avail. The "flash player test" on the adobe flash home page says it has been successfully installed, and plays the spinning "F"but That has no effect on youtube movies.

Digging further, supports then suggests disabling security stuff. No words on how. Anywhere.... Leaving mne with an option to cancel Microsoft Security Essentials, play with youtube, collect several viruses while I am vulnerable, and then reboot. Doesn't seem like all that good an option to me..

Why can't antivirus/firewall products have easy tabs to "shut down for some number of minutes"? Why can't youtube have a debug application that could give you a sense of why it isn't running? Maybe something that tests if flash is installed the way it should be to run a movie and reports on exactly what to fix if it isn't.

I am looking for better ways to shut down antivirus and software firewall and also to make youtube work... Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks
    Jim, Welcome to the Lounge!

Windows Security Essentials does NOT have a softwware firewall. it is just an AV/AM app that is very good. To temp disable it you simply open it's window (right click the taskbar icon and choose open.), Go to the settings tab, Real Time Protection in left side choices and untick Turn On Real Time Protection, then select Save Changes. To re-enable just do the opposite.

[attachment=89902:MSETurnOff.png]

Whenever I download something to install, I disconnect to the internet (after downloading the file), then disable MSE, Install the file, then re-enable MSE and reconnect to the internet. Simple. I know this only answers a portion of your question. Turning off security tools is appropriate once you have disconnected from the internet. Many installations are affected by these security tools. Most software firewalls also have similar methods to shut them down although it's generally not the firewall, but the AV/AM apps that cause installation problems.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    numerous comments by folks that the way to fix a problem with a piece of software is to "disable the antivirus" or "disable the firewall"
    Actually, I only recommend disabling the firewall to see if the problem app suddenly starts working. If it does start working, then the firewall settings are getting in the way and you have to figure out how to change the firewall settings to allow the app to work while the firewall is running. So turning off the firewall is part of the debugging mechanism, not the ultimate solution.

In a corporate setting disabling the firewall for a few minutes should not be a problem - network admins and the tools they employ are usually very good at spotting issues such as port scans and shutting them down. So the PC should be fine until you get the issue sorted out.

In a home environment, you should be running behind a router - the router's firewall should prevent you from attacks while you drop the firewall on your PC.

I have also found that for many firewalls, the only way to really disable them is to uninstall them. I have numerous times turned off the firewall, ensured that the firewall processes were not running and still had problems; until I uninstalled the firewall when suddenly things ran just fine.

Now on to the Flash issue. Are you using IE? Have you tried using Chrome or Firefox? I would first try using some other browser just in case Flash has issues with the one browser.

Thanks
    I've been using the windows firewall since it first came with XP-SP2. That day, I happily dumped Zone Alarm and I've never regretted it.
    The Windows Firewall is good and you don't need another one and in all this time I've never needed to shut it off to fix something else. It runs quietly in the background and doesn't futz with your user programs.... at least in my own experience.

I use only Firefox, in its latest version, and I always install Flash and Shockwave both when installing Firefox.
    Why not....they're both FREE! They both are updated often, so stay up with the updates.
    YouTube and everything else, works perfectly for me.

My AVG 9.0 Anti Virus never interferes with any programs or web sites either, as long as they are not trying to download a virus into my PC.

Good Luck!

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Just a word of warning with some ISP supplied modems, some of them may not offer packet filtering protection [the hardware firewall part of the modem] from random background internet noise. I found out the hard way once. I believe it was a DSL service.

Although the above was only a few years ago, most ISPs nowadays should have hardware firewalling in place
    on their supplied hardware.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    FYI - During the past week, Adobe has issued multiple updates for Reader, AIR, Flash. They apparently even issued updates for the updates. see this thread in the Lounge ... http://bro.ws/777382L

The Secunia PSI is a FREE security tool designed to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs and plug-ins which expose your PC to attacks. Get it here .... Secunia Personal Software Inspector

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your input. I feel better now about disabling stuff for testing purposes...

I am running xp pro SP3 with windows security essentials and the standard windows firewall behind a linksys router and a motorola comcast cable modem. I also run secunia PSI and am up to date on everything.This is a home network setup.

I continue to be baffled by my pc's inability to play youtube movies. I have Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer on my pc and YouTube will not play movies in any of them. All I get is the spinning circle of white dots,

Secunia thinks flash player, etc. are up to date. If I run the Adobe Flash Player tester, the "f" spins and says the installation was successful.

I disabled windows security essentials and also the firewall and it did not change anything.

The only thing I have not checked is the "default streaming application". I have several candidates for what that could be, How do I determine which one is trying to be default?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    [quote name='Jim Long' date='2010-08-16 08:33' timestamp='1281965584' post='854558']
    Have you tried clearing your browser cache files?

Joe
    Joe