Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm new to W7.
    Yesterday I was setting up a backup system to an external drive. Suddenly a screen appeared saying that I could now set up a network. Not wishing to do so I hit the red x . The next thing was that I wasd back on the desktop but with about 12 new folders on it - folders like App data - Net Hoods - Start menu - Favourites and so on. What have I done/ How can I get back to my old desk top. I notice too that when I go to My Computer it shows my c drive and my external dvd drive but not tje external back-up drive - although this does show in the left side menu. I think I have started to set up a network. How can I backtrack please?
    W

Thanks
    These are all folders in your User/User Name folder. I would open you windows explorer and look in the user/user name folder to see if these folders are still there. (User name is the name you gave the OS when first set up) If these 12 folders are not in the user/user name folder then drag them back to this folder. After doing this see if everything seems to be working properly. If there is still some question of this, then a reinstall might be in order. Was this a new PC with Win 7 pre-installed or an upgrade? If an upgrade, I would use the custom (Clean) install and not the In Place Upgrade. I have not heard of this problem before this.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for getting back quickly. To deal with part of your reply - it is a new machine - came ready to run.
    I'll try what you suggested
    W

Lounger
    Thanks
    A PS to my last em. I cannot find the Explorer icon. It has disappeared from the all programs list. It was there -I've used it!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Found it - Panic over
    W

Thanks
    You might also want to get rid of the manufacturer installed bloatware that always seems to come preloaded with new PCes. An app like PC decrapifier (I'm not kidding, that is the name) might help. Most of the trial ware and junk is just not needed. You will also find that most apps think they need to be running in the background, wrong!!! Shut down everything you do not need running in the background. As an example, the only apps I have start at Windows start is my Alps Touchpad and my MSE AV/AM app. That's it. Nothing else. Now mind you I'm talking apps, not services. You can see what's running by going to msconfig.exe and looking at the Start Up tab.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounger
    Thanks
    To give you the full picture,Ted
    I've looked in com7os(c)>users>username and the followind folders are there: Contacts,desktop,downloads,favourites,links,Mt Docs,My Music, My Pics, saved games ,searches,

On the desktop I have these (unwanted there) files : Send to, app data,Downlds,Net Hood,start menu,Favourites, pictures, Templates, App data,Links,Print Hood,Contacts,Local settings,Recent,Cookies,Music,saved games Documents,My Docs Searches.

Before I start to drag anything I thought it best to give you all the info.
    If I go to Desktop using Explorer it lists exactly what is on the desktop, including the rogue folders.

Does this change the earlier advice you gave me?
    Cheers
    W

Thanks
    It appears that most of the folders from your user/user name folder have been relocated to your desktop somehow. Dragging them back to where they belong may or may not work. Be prepared to reinstall Win 7. It may become necessary. I have attached a shot of mine to verify these are the folders you are talking about.

[attachment=89638:2010-08-15_1716.png]

I can't even guess how these may have ended up on your desktop. The folder with the shortcut arrows are not actually folders you can access. These are junction points used by older apps to access your OS. Search junction Points in win 7 to read about this.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    If the folders on your desktop are merely short cuts, or copys to the folders in your user section, then they should be quite safe to delete.
    Simply compare what you have on your desktop with those in the actual locations.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I can't even guess how these may have ended up on your desktop. The folder with the shortcut arrows are not actually folders you can access. These are junction points used by older apps to access your OS. Search junction Points in win 7 to read about this.
    Let's guess. Mine is that the phenomenon could be due to erratic mouse operation. Just recently something similar happened to me when I was using a friend's wireless mouse. Probable cause was an amplifier in between or too near either the mouse and/or the transmitter unit. The mouse also seemed to use up the batteries all too fast. Maybe related to this also. If not, sorry, didn't mean to hijack the topic.