Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you are having a problem with Windows 7 hanging suddenly see if A computer that is running Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7 stops responding randomly helps.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm going to consider trying this hotfix. In my case, though, it stops responding to the keyboard, yet it still responds to the mouse. One time this happened there was an update in process, it turned out, and the other time the Lenovo message center was trying to sell me something. The hotfix is for when there's a deadlock between "the Lsass.exe process, the Redirected Drive Buffering Subsystem (Rdbss.sys) driver, and the Winsock kernel." I'm totally unclear whether this would still allow mouse input. One conclusion: It would be helpful if people who had the problem, subsequently fixed by the hotfix, would describe their situations, or if that's been done someplace.
    (Edit: MS also writes "A computer that is running Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7 stops responding randomly. Applications or services that are running on the computer stop working correctly", and "stop working correctly" is what suggests that they don't mean an absolute freeze (in which case mouse input, of course, wouldn't get through.
    Also, "the problems reported by customers do not fit any pattern, and appear to happen at random.")
    EDIT: Note that the KB on this came out 3 days after patch Tuesday. I wonder. I was sure I had my PC set to notify but not download or install, and the process (installing all critical MS updates) surprised me, but I'm utterly new to Win7 and was probably making mistakes.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This just showed up on my home PC in the last two days. It may hang for 45min and then pick back up. Nothing in the event logs shows anything. Usually it starts that the mouse pointer will move but no menus are available and clicking the mouse does nothing. The keyboard is totally dead. I have requested and installed the hotfix and will report back the results.....

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mercy, thanks! I'll look forward to hearing how it goes. I couldn't find anything in the event logs either. I wish I knew how often it happened,
    but it's my wife's new PC and we've been extremely busy so it hasn't gotten enough use so we could see the pattern, beyond what I described.
    If it definitely works for you, I'm inclined to follow soon.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The hotfix seems to have take care of the problem for me. The machine hung multiple times Friday and Saturday and has not done it since I installed the hotfix last night......

Thanks so much for the heads up JoeP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mercy, beautiful! Your results sound definitive. I've just applied the hotfix too. Thanks to you and Joe.
    I'll report back only if we do get the problem again. It would be nice to see others add to this thread with details,
    particularly if there's no more fleshing out of the phenomenon by MS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A second Win7 system, almost a completely new install (added Chrome and FastStone Image Viewer and Windows Live) just hung for 16 minutes, bleep, and back to normal again so now I really do have to go hunt down that hotfix before it gets to be an epidemic.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The aforementioned second PC....locked up again for about 16 minutes after the hotfix was applied so now I've turned off autohide taskbar just to see if it makes any difference. Hotfix was applied to the other system as well but it hasn't been on for a while so no data there yet.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mine hung one time since the update. I also use autohide on the taskbar and disabled it on 8/25 after the last episode. I have not experienced another hang yet but will monitor and report back.

This machine acts as a home based workstation and a backup server for multiple remote locations (it has several 1tb drives in it that have backups pushed over VPN) so it is always on with no drives allowed to power down. It does shut its monitor off after 30 minutes of inactivity.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I had autohide taskbar off, it did not hang, but I don't know if I repeated the sequence of going away for several hours and coming back before the system goes to sleep at 5 hours. I didn't like it intruding on my apps though so I hid it again and just came back after several hours away and it hung for about 15 minutes again so there may some relation to autohide. I have the other system running now so we'll see if it repeats there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Woke up this morning and the original system was still hanging so its a complete bust on the hotfix for me. The second system was hung right on schedule again but instead of waiting 16 minutes or so, I forced shutdown and tried a fix with a CD I made with nLite. About 22 minutes later I had XP loaded and the taskbar autohid. I will now be monitoring the situation carefully for the same unexplained hang

I know Ted feels a disturbance in the force when a Win7 system dies, but there was some other quirky behavior going on so I believe some OS's "fit" a system better than others and for me XP and Win7 are virtually interchangeable. And, I plan on wiping an XP install in favor of Win7 on another much older "experimental" system and my bet is that it will perform great there even though I'm sure almost none of the hardware makes the approval list.

Thanks
    I just felt a great disturbance in the force??? The world order is out of balance once again. Quick, someone install Win 7. Byron, quick fire up that old system with Win 7!

I realize that each system is different, and something that works wonderfully for one system fails miserably on another. On my systems, Win 7 has been fantastic, but I use mine differently than Byron uses his. I believe Byron does huge amounts of video rendering, where as I do not. Perhaps the apps Byron uses work better in XP. At some point in time he will come back to the light side and leave the dark side for good. Until then Byron, happy computing!

By the way in order to keep the integrity of this thread intact I did install the hotfix because my browser hangs once in a while. If I have a problem, I can always go back with my latest Image in just a few minutes.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did fire up the old system with Win7...but unfortuneately it looks like the mobo is too old. Its a FIC AN11 from about 2002 and Win7 is running just fine, with Aero no problem, processor only gets a 2.6 score but that's to be expected (gaming graphics get a 6 but that's also to be expected since its an old gamer rig). There must have been some cutoff point somewhere around 2004 I guess (cuz I have a couple circa 2004 or 2005 systems running 7) where it was deemed a system couldn't handle 7 so why bother including drivers. Oh well, I really thought there would be a subset of generic drivers, that while not optimum would work well enough but I guess not; I get nothing but exclamation marks in the device manager.

And, gettting back to thread integrity, as its been deemed, I think it has something to do with the taskbar and autohide, or a condidion 7 enters into when in that state and left alone for a few hours. That's because if I switch away from the computer (its on a KVM switch) while the cursor is on the taskbar so it is not hiding, and then come back a few hours later, the computer is not and does not hang at all. That's an interesting little workaround I've found (and still be able to leave the taskbar in autohide) for the problem but it would be nice to have a better solution.

p.s. I had a lot of friends on that deathstar!!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The machine I set to not autohide the taskbar has not hung since....

I HATE this workaround though I have used autohide forever and can't quite get used to the critter hanging around on my screen all the time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    I did fire up the old system with Win7...but unfortuneately it looks like the mobo is too old. Its a FIC AN11 from about 2002 and Win7 is running just fine, with Aero no problem, processor only gets a 2.6 score but that's to be expected (gaming graphics get a 6 but that's also to be expected since its an old gamer rig). There must have been some cutoff point somewhere around 2004 I guess (cuz I have a couple circa 2004 or 2005 systems running 7) where it was deemed a system couldn't handle 7 so why bother including drivers. Oh well, I really thought there would be a subset of generic drivers, that while not optimum would work well enough but I guess not; I get nothing but exclamation marks in the device manager.

And, gettting back to thread integrity, as its been deemed, I think it has something to do with the taskbar and autohide, or a condidion 7 enters into when in that state and left alone for a few hours. That's because if I switch away from the computer (its on a KVM switch) while the cursor is on the taskbar so it is not hiding, and then come back a few hours later, the computer is not and does not hang at all. That's an interesting little workaround I've found (and still be able to leave the taskbar in autohide) for the problem but it would be nice to have a better solution.

p.s. I had a lot of friends on that deathstar!!
    Sorry about the old PC (Us old things have to stick together) It sounds like it might be a likely candidate for some version of Linux.

That's very strange. The Taskbar auto hide function has something to do with the hang when it hides. That sounds like something MS should know about (perhaps they already do, who knows) Perhaps I will try that and see what happens. I presently have auto hide disabled.

OK, Auto hide engaged. I will repost if any problems occur. It's strange using it again, I gave it up quite a while ago with the newer bigger screens.

And I had a lot of friends on Alderan, so I guess that makes us even. May the Force be with you!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast