New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have on my network an NAS (Synology DS210J), connected by wire to my Router / Modem, which itself is a wireless unit.

I would like to use the Synology unit as a back up device, located at the end of the garden.

I think I need a wireless dongle - to plug into the Synology unit.

Can anyone confirm this? and possibly recommend a suitable dongle?

Regards,

Vaughan

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you can see the device on your network I wouldn't think you'd have to add anything. It is a matter of the backup software being able to use a NAS device. What backup software are you using?

Joe
    Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I assume you want to disconnect your NAS unit, take it to your shed/garage and fire it up wirelessly?
    This needs a wireless access point, like this one.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is my favorite device for that application.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently purchased and installed a Seagate BlackArmor 1TB NAS. It is connected via cable to my wireless G router which only supports 100Mbps Ethernet. I pride myself in having only essential software on my PCs. I have very few audio, video or picture files---perhaps 2 GB total. So I was quite disappointed to find that it took 4 hours to run a 38 GB full image backup to the NAS via the wireless connection.

Going to wireless N will make a significant improvement, but it's still a far cry from a wired gigabit Ethernet connection. Before you move your NAS, you might try running a backup with your existing wireless configuration and see how long it takes. I've come to the conclusion that the best use for my NAS is file backup and making files available to all my PCs directly. For full system image backup, you might still be better off with a USB connected external hard drive or wired gigabit Ethernet LAN configuration.

BTW, if you ever have a total crash and need to restore your PC from a full image backup, you can't do it over a wireless connection. You can create the backup file via a wireless connection, but when you come to do the restore the backup file needs to be on a device that is physically connected to the PC or be on a wired LAN. I found that out the hard way.

Hope my experience helps you decide how to use your NAS for backups.