Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    After many years of doing this recently when attempting to download banking info IE8 pops up a message stating that it can't connect to the server. I switched to Firefox and it works OK. I suspect that a recent run of CCleaner or some other action must have changed some security setting in IE8, but darned if I can figure it out. I reset all the security settings to the defaults, but that didn't help. Any ideas as to what got changed?

Thanks
    You may want to check with your bank on-line people. Most banks have a department today to help with these types of problems. My bank changed their log in info and security info a while back which caused me all kinds of aggravation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Tucker View Post
    After many years of doing this recently when attempting to download banking info IE8 pops up a message stating that it can't connect to the server. I switched to Firefox and it works OK. I suspect that a recent run of CCleaner or some other action must have changed some security setting in IE8, but darned if I can figure it out. I reset all the security settings to the defaults, but that didn't help. Any ideas as to what got changed?
    have you tried system restore?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think I need a complete system restore -- if anything I need to reinstall IE8 or find out why it's blocking access to that one download from my bank. I'll try to let everyone know if and when I find out what happened. Meantime I'm getting by using Firefox.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Firefox works just fine, but I've tried just about every security setting I can find in IE8 and it still won't download from my bank. I get the same results whether running the 32 or 64 bit versions of IE8.

Thanks
    Chuck, Did you check with the bank IT department?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    That was about the very first thing I tried and spent about 20 minutes on the phone -- no help. As far as they were concerned their systems were working OK. At that point I started to suspect that IE8 was the problem so I downloaded and installed Firefox which worked. The banch tech gave up assuming it wasn't their problem.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think I need a complete system restore -- if anything I need to reinstall IE8 or find out why it's blocking access to that one download from my bank. I'll try to let everyone know if and when I find out what happened. Meantime I'm getting by using Firefox.
    a system restore wont hurt, going back to the time you can last use IE without problem

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That was about the very first thing I tried and spent about 20 minutes on the phone -- no help. As far as they were concerned their systems were working OK. At that point I started to suspect that IE8 was the problem so I downloaded and installed Firefox which worked. The banch tech gave up assuming it wasn't their problem.
    Firefox is working well enough so i dont think there was or there is a problem with the banks system.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Is this a secure site (i.e. https)? Can you access other parts of the site? What kind of file are you attempting to download?

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    It's a secure site and the download is something I've been doing from my bank for at least the last 4 or 5 years on a regular basis.
    So it's not the bank -- it's somethine to do with IE8.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's a secure site and the download is something I've been doing from my bank for at least the last 4 or 5 years on a regular basis.
    So it's not the bank -- it's somethine to do with IE8.
    have you tried disabling addons on IE?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    From my experience with downloads from Banks and the Government Revenue websites, the IE8 setting "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" is very important. Banks want it unticked and the rrevenue want it ticked. I've also found it important when attempting to download PDF files - but I can't remember whether it should be ticked or unticked (sorry). Its worth a try.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Look at the status bar on the bottom of your IE window. Does it say this site is a "Trusted sites", or is it an "Internet" site? If it says "Internet" then double-click on it, click on "Trusted sites", click on the "Sites" button, then click on the "Add" button, and finally the "Close" button. Now try it again.

Lounger
    Thanks
    The same thing happened to me this past weekend (8/14-8/15) on two Windows 7 64 bit machines and a Win 7 32 bit laptop. Firefox also worked for me when IE8 wouldn't. I suspected the recent patch to correct the link vulnerability and jumped through the hoops including a complete re-install of a prior system image on one machine to no avail. However on Monday the problem went away on both machines. My conclusion is that the bank (Bank of America) was performing some sort of maintenance that prevented the IE8 connection. The download is still working for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast