Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Is it possible to add commenting ability in win 7 64 Ultimate for content files of a folder? I'd like to be able to add files to a folder but then add a comment about the actual files. I seem to recall this was possible under XP. I don't want to add a paragraph but something that would be understandable if viewed later. This isn't necessary on all folders but it would be great if I could add this 'ability or feature' to the customizing of a folder newly created or such. Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanx in advance.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ties-to-a-file
    But it seems to apply to only certain types of files. For example, I can change properties for Office files, music and videos, but not for PDF files or txt file. I have seen other forum posts where people have complained about this "regression" in functionality.

The thing is, this capability should work for all files because if I recall correctly, such information is stored in an NTFS alternate file stream, sort of a storage are parallel to your file. Of course, there are issues with getting the data copied or moved along with the file.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Same story here, it works for just about any file in XP, but all the posts I've read and from trying to find something in Win 7, it just doesn't seem to be there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This info doesn't do what I am looking for. For instance, if I down'load a file (zip/exe/txt/etc) I would like to be able to comment it. I don't know if 'tag' is the right word or not but a little more information to the directory listing would be great. Sometimes I download files and they are referred to as 'setup.exe' and I would like to add the comment of what program it actually is for quick reference. Thanx for the lead but I'll keep looking. ))

Thanks
    Tag is an excellent way to describe what you are after as it is synonomous with MP3 tags.

A workaround would be to rename the downloaded files to for example, setup_programa.exe, setup_programb.exe etc.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark A. View Post
    This info doesn't do what I am looking for. For instance, if I down'load a file (zip/exe/txt/etc) I would like to be able to comment it. I don't know if 'tag' is the right word or not but a little more information to the directory listing would be great. Sometimes I download files and they are referred to as 'setup.exe' and I would like to add the comment of what program it actually is for quick reference. Thanx for the lead but I'll keep looking. ))
    i use winrar it lets me to create comments or "TAG" on a file or files, visible on the right side if i open a .rar package.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark A. View Post
    Is it possible to add commenting ability in win 7 64 Ultimate for content files of a folder? I'd like to be able to add files to a folder but then add a comment about the actual files. I seem to recall this was possible under XP. I don't want to add a paragraph but something that would be understandable if viewed later. This isn't necessary on all folders but it would be great if I could add this 'ability or feature' to the customizing of a folder newly created or such. Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.
    Can right click on the file, choose properties then the details tab and can add titles,tags and comments to any file
    This works in win 7 Home premium so no reason not to in Ultimate.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Curiousclive View Post
    Can right click on the file, choose properties then the details tab and can add titles,tags and comments to any file
    I have tried multiple file types and under /properties/details there is no abiity to add anything (titles,tags or comments). It is possible there
    is a 'switch' that needs to be turned on for this 'feature' to work? I am operating under administrator so I have access to everything so I would
    expect this to offer me the majority of abilities but this doesn't seem the case. Win xp I had to download a file and run it and then I had the
    ability to comment/tag/etc each entry. Don't remember what it was called ((.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I also have found it to be the exception where this works in Win 7 (Pro), not the norm, even though there is still a Comments field in the possible selections to use for details view headers. Then I thought perhaps its a Windows feature that hasn't been turned on in Pro or Ultimate like it may be in Home, but I don't see anything there either.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Curiousclive View Post
    you cannot add tags on just any file types, audio yes but not any executable files

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    I also have found it to be the exception where this works in Win 7 (Pro), not the norm, even though there is still a Comments field in the possible selections to use for details view headers. Then I thought perhaps its a Windows feature that hasn't been turned on in Pro or Ultimate like it may be in Home, but I don't see anything there either.
    Byron,

I can also do this with Ultimate, but it appears only on those files I created with Office. I do not have this option for other files (i.e. .pdf, .exe, etc.)

note: also can add comments and subtitle in mp3 files, pic files (.jpg), etc. Again files I created. (does not work with .wav files)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Some of these comments are supported only by you default program that has edit capabilities to these file types. All programs do NOT support "Comments".

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think the OP and I (for sure) are not interested in metadata and tags. We want a Windows comments field that can be displayed in details view in explorer. Something dead flat consistent that works for all (or the vast majority) of files, expecially the types most often downloaded.

Thanks
    OK, I think I get it. If I open my downloads folder for example, I can right click in a blank section at the top of the Window (the area where the Name, Date Modified, size, etc.) and choose to add fields. Under more fields is a plephora of different fields, including Comments. is this what you are talking about?

Unfortunately I can add a comments field, but do not as yet know how to add comments to this field.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to add some clarification it doesn't matter what the 'program' wants it to be. If we add the comment field (and I have) Windows 7 Ultimate should have the ability to allow users that are looking at an explorer listing of a set of files in a directory and be able to add some kind of commenting. Makes sooo much sense. Whatever file type I have downloaded and comes up under the directory listing should have no impact on the 'comments' made concerning the file, other than being attached as information. When the file is ran it would/should just ignore whatever comments appear. ) Or so I think.... )))

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast