Thanks
    Hi all,

My 4-year-old computer has started doing something over the last two or three months. After it has been idle for a while, when I click a window, it will freeze. If I leave it alone, it will recover from the freeze in 5 to 10 minutes.

At first I thought it was "dead" and would reboot. Then I noticed that the hard drive light was solidly on.

I have Norton Internet Security with real time protection turned on and idle time scan. A message from Norton that it is doing things "in the background" often accompanies these freezes. However, I suspect it is not Norton directly.

In January I had to replace my failing hard drive. I asked the technician to leave it in the chassis as E; I wanted to be able to pull things off it if I could (and I have). Is it possible that this failing drive is causing problems for unknown processes that routinely scan the hard drives? I have excluded the drive from Norton's scans, but are there other things that reach out and touch it?

Is there anything else that might be causing this? I have not been able to make a connection to anything I have installed. I thought a utility that included a drive defragger might have been the culprit, but I uninstalled and still have the problem. Any thoughts?

Thanks! Kim

Thanks
    I would still think Norton may the culprit. Norton in the past has been considered a resource hog. In recent versions this has changed but many still prefer a lighter weight AV/AM app. Is your version of Norton an app you had initially 4 years ago. This may be part of the problem if so. My suggestion would be to remove Norton using a good uninstaller such as Revo Uninstaller to completely remove Norton (Norton can be very difficult to remove using the normal Windows uninstaller) Norton also has a removal tool you can download and try. My choice for a very good AV/AM app is Microsoft Security Essentials (free directly from MS).
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Indexing & System Restore may be potential culprits, they're usage on the "E" drive can also be curtailed.
    Viruses and malware are other potential culprits, use one of the many free online scanners as a second opinion
    to the Norton.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Thank you gentlemen.

Ted, Norton is the latest version and like I said, this started two or three months ago. I like Microsoft Security, too, and run it on my VPCs, but I like Norton's browser add-in too much to abandon it before investigating other options first.

Clint, I hadn't thought of System Restore. I will double check that. I'll also try a secondary A/V detector.

Also, I think it's probably time to move anything I haven't moved and take the darned drive out of the box!

Thanks again,
    Kim

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kmurdock View Post
    Hi all,

My 4-year-old computer has started doing something over the last two or three months. After it has been idle for a while, when I click a window, it will freeze. If I leave it alone, it will recover from the freeze in 5 to 10 minutes.

At first I thought it was "dead" and would reboot. Then I noticed that the hard drive light was solidly on.

I have Norton Internet Security with real time protection turned on and idle time scan. A message from Norton that it is doing things "in the background" often accompanies these freezes. However, I suspect it is not Norton directly.

In January I had to replace my failing hard drive. I asked the technician to leave it in the chassis as E; I wanted to be able to pull things off it if I could (and I have). Is it possible that this failing drive is causing problems for unknown processes that routinely scan the hard drives? I have excluded the drive from Norton's scans, but are there other things that reach out and touch it?

Is there anything else that might be causing this? I have not been able to make a connection to anything I have installed. I thought a utility that included a drive defragger might have been the culprit, but I uninstalled and still have the problem. Any thoughts?

Thanks! Kim
    it's definitely the norton, it's well known to be a resource hog. i liked mr. ted's advice.

Thanks
    Hi bong tubera,

I know the reports of Norton and resources and I don't doubt some are true. Not to be an apologist for Symantec, but Norton is a convenient villain and it's not yet clear to me that it is the cause of this issue; it still seems that Norton is only the catalyst.

If I remove Norton and the symptoms stop, it doesn't prove that Norton was the culprit. For a very short time I had a disk defragger that also seemed to cause the freeze. I uninstalled that program, thinking I was removing the problem, but it recurred. If I remove Norton, it should be because I know it was the cause of the problem. That means removing things one at a time and observing. Since Norton has operated problem-free on my computer for years, I am inclined to give it the benefit of the doubt.

And, as I have said, this issue has arisen only in the past two to three months, which doesn't explain why Norton has *not* been a resource hog prior to that.

Thanks,
    Kim

Thanks
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi bong tubera,

I know the reports of Norton and resources and I don't doubt some are true. Not to be an apologist for Symantec, but Norton is a convenient villain and it's not yet clear to me that it is the cause of this issue; it still seems that Norton is only the catalyst.

If I remove Norton and the symptoms stop, it doesn't prove that Norton was the culprit. For a very short time I had a disk defragger that also seemed to cause the freeze. I uninstalled that program, thinking I was removing the problem, but it recurred. If I remove Norton, it should be because I know it was the cause of the problem. That means removing things one at a time and observing. Since Norton has operated problem-free on my computer for years, I am inclined to give it the benefit of the doubt.

And, as I have said, this issue has arisen only in the past two to three months, which doesn't explain why Norton has *not* been a resource hog prior to that.

Thanks,
    Kim
    will be a reformat be a good option to you? have a good utility to scan your hard drive's with bad sectors. or perhaps just get a new drive for the system thanks

Thanks
    Hi all,

I did begin to investigate the possibility of this being a Norton issue. However, in the course of my research, I found evidence that a recent Windows OMG-if-you-don't-apply-another-patch-you-must-apply-this-one security patch is wreaking havoc with some folks.

KB 2286198 which is a critical patch, was put out at the beginning of this month. Yes, I know it doesn't fit into my stated time-frame, but what with all the waiting around I've endured, I figure it simply seems like it's been 2 or 3 months...

Anyway, I tried this theory out on my laptop, which is also running NIS 2010 AND the critical patch. It, too, was freezing when the background tasks window appeared (which is catastrophic if I happened to have a Virtual PC running). I uninstalled the patch and... well, the freezing stopped immediately.

Not sure what to do at this point as the patch does seem to be a very important one. I have told Norton not to run the Idle Time scans, but I'm concerned about any other implications this might have.

Further, the patch seems to be installed on my other PC, but when I attempt to uninstall, it tells me it is not there. What the heck does that mean?

Thanks everyone, for your input. If I have any further information to share, I will do so.

Best, Kim

Thanks
    Further, the patch seems to be installed on my other PC, but when I attempt to uninstall, it tells me it is not there. What the heck does that mean?
    OK, I figured that one out. I had previously done some housekeeping and deleted the $NtUninstall file. I restored it from my Recycle Bin and was able to uninstall via the Control Panel.

This has resolved the freezing. I'll try the patch again in the near future, as I'm sure this conflict will be worked out.

Best, Kim

Thanks
    Glad you were able to figure out the problem. I'm also glad that since you seem to like Norton that it ended up not being the culprit this time. Not all updates work for everyone unfortunately. Updates are made for the masses, and unfortunately not all combinations can be anticipated when the update is developed. It always seems to take feedback from users to let MS know of a problem with a particular update. Perhaps with your feedback they will be able to fix this update for your needs. Cheers, Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I figured that one out. I had previously done some housekeeping and deleted the $NtUninstall file. I restored it from my Recycle Bin and was able to uninstall via the Control Panel.

This has resolved the freezing. I'll try the patch again in the near future, as I'm sure this conflict will be worked out.

Best, Kim
    perhaps norton is well aware of this and they are on the brink of knowing a workaround on this patch, visit their page as they may have already found an answer to this. goodluck with norton