New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running Windows 7 Ultimate on a Dell XPS desktop The enter key on my keyboard does not function except for a brief time after rebooting-about five minutes. After that I no longer
    get a line feed. I am unable to determine any particular behavior that causes this problem. The problem persists using other USB ports
    or other keyboards Even using the Microsoft onscreen virtual keyboard does not help. When I use the mouse to click on that virtual keyboard Enter key
    I hear a click, but I do not get a line feed. Rebooting ALWAYS fixes the problem and no other keys but the Enter key seems to be defective. I have checked Device
    Manager and do not see any indication of a problem. This problem MAY have arisen after upgrading from Office 2007 to Office 2010. The problem is not unique
    to the Office programs. It happens in Thunderbird, Notepad etc. I do not receive any error message. The problem is not dependent on launching a browser.
    I am using McAfee Internet Security and have had no indications of malware. Secunia reports all my software is up to date. Any thoughts?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Carl View Post
    I am running Windows 7 Ultimate on a Dell XPS desktop The enter key on my keyboard does not function except for a brief time after rebooting-about five minutes. After that I no longer
    get a line feed. I am unable to determine any particular behavior that causes this problem. The problem persists using other USB ports
    or other keyboards Even using the Microsoft onscreen virtual keyboard does not help. When I use the mouse to click on that virtual keyboard Enter key
    I hear a click, but I do not get a line feed. Rebooting ALWAYS fixes the problem and no other keys but the Enter key seems to be defective. I have checked Device
    Manager and do not see any indication of a problem. This problem MAY have arisen after upgrading from Office 2007 to Office 2010. The problem is not unique
    to the Office programs. It happens in Thunderbird, Notepad etc. I do not receive any error message. The problem is not dependent on launching a browser.
    I am using McAfee Internet Security and have had no indications of malware. Secunia reports all my software is up to date. Any thoughts?
    Is it possible to stop anything from Office 2010 from starting with windows using msconfig?
    Maybe stop as many things from starting with windows via msconfig and see if problem resolves then re-enable things one at a time till problem recurs to isolate which program is causing it if it isn't Office 2010.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    I'm wondering if the drivers for the keyboard may br corrupt. If disabling apps as mentioned in post 2 does not narrow down the problem, you might consider new keyboard drivers.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Carl View Post
    will it be ok if you downgrade for a while from 2010 to 2007 just to isolate if it's really from or due to the upgarde. i dont use mcafee. try other malware protection or AV just to scan if you really are free from viruse or malwares.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    if office 2010 is really the problem and you want a good office, you might want to try out openoffice?

having the enter-key not working might be just the driver issue i think, try uninstall and install keyboard driver?