3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's an intriguing idea since I have a couple of old PII sitting around. I'm looking at something that will handle gigabit speeds. I will be using this for playing back audio and HD video ff or a server.

Marc

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If your computer Network access cards (Nics) handle gigabit and you have gig switches, linux should handle it without a problem.

For a beginner install of a server with a lot of power check out this distro:

http://wiki.contribs.org/Main_Page

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Marc,

Another interesting linux server setup you might want to check out is amahi. The base install is Fedora 12 (updated every so often) with some very nicely packaged extras in the form of a web based management console from which you install software stacks for your intended server functions in a completely automated way.
    For example, if you want to stream media files to your local network there are several apps. One to work with the squeezebox media devices, a couple that use UPnP to advertise media services to the network for devices such as iPods and to media player applications.
    Other packaged solutions include
    -Web based "desktops" complete with spreadsheeting, word processing, etc
    -Full secured access to your home network from anywhere using a preconfigured OpenVPN client you can download and install on your Windows laptop for when you are away from home.
    -web based file browser like windows explorer to move files to and from the server.
    -default Windows file shares for common types eg docs, movies, photos.
    etc!

Lounger
    Thanks
    My preferred distro is Mepis, very nice easy to use distro, works really well with most setups, you can take a look here.
    http://www.mepiscommunity.org/miniguide/index.html
    Mepis 8.5 is now available but I am currently using 8. Mepis has KDE which I tend to prefer.
    there is also a very good forum dedicated to Mepis at
    http://www.mepislovers.com/
    registered Linux user:476595

Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't understand why you "experts" would direct a new user to these less than common distros - why not Ubuntu or Mint which has massive forums and massive instructions?
    Paulbyr in NC

This user has been Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawl Byrley View Post
    I don't understand why you "experts" would direct a new user to these less than common distros - why not Ubuntu or Mint which has massive forums and massive instructions?
    Because they're "experts".

I'm not, but I've tried Mint and Ubuntu. I think Ubuntu has more help and better manuals available, and always updates earlier than Mint (which is based on Ubuntu). The hardest part is trying to figure out which distro fits your hardware capabilities; some of the old machinery has limited memory. Right now I'm using a 6 year old box with 1G of memory and Ubuntu runs great; I have a laptop with Mint XFCE and 256M and it's a slowpoke, but runs. Regular Mint bogged down terribly.

I haven't found a decent site that gives you solid advice on hardware requirements vs. distro. I guess you just have to download a few & try the live discs. But be careful, it can turn you into a Microsoft hater.