Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have read through dozens of posts everywhere on the internet from 2008 when this problem first emerged, but am still hopeful that I can salvage this old laptop for some ham radio use. It's a Dell Latitude 131, and according to the Dell website, there are two utilities for discharging and recharging the battery so the BIOS can recognize it. Trouble is, neither is recommended for the Latitude 131. There are several sites (including Dell's) which advise you to boot to the BIOS and then select Exit, choosing the battery care feature. My BIOS doesn't have one, and, according to Dell's webite, I have the most current BIOS for my computer.

Any help?

Pat in Juneau

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Unless you can find someone who has a battery conditioner, it's new battery time.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    A very good,cheap source here;ebatts
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I guess I should have mentioned that the brand new battery installed in the laptop shows all leds lit on the charge status button. It's not the battery - it's the Latitude's inability to recognize this perfectly-working battery, or to charge it. So, my original question still stands. Can I use any of Dell's discharge-recharge software packages safely?

Pat in Juneau

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Not if the internal battery charge/monitor circuit is up the duff. That, unfortunately, is new motherboard territory.

cheers, Paul