Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Searches are well-populated with those of us who have a dual-boot setup that we want to get out of. Virtually all are software discussions, including one involving someone with a second hard drive that requires the first because it lacks the necessary MBR.

Before I start pulling plugs and dissecting spaghetti (all right, I exaggerate), what are the chances of success if I disconnect the first (Vista) drive? If successful, I can simply swap the drives temporarily to boot from CD and reformat and partition the first drive.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    Searches are well-populated with those of us who have a dual-boot setup that we want to get out of. Virtually all are software discussions, including one involving someone with a second hard drive that requires the first because it lacks the necessary MBR.

Before I start pulling plugs and dissecting spaghetti (all right, I exaggerate), what are the chances of success if I disconnect the first (Vista) drive? If successful, I can simply swap the drives temporarily to boot from CD and reformat and partition the first drive.
    clean reformat no problem, i just hope there is no important docs on that drive make sure you have the right pin configuration for the master/slave

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought Master / Slave was ancient history for modern computers, including mine.

After disconnecting the cable on the original (Vista) drive and to be on the safe side replacing the connector to the Win 7 drive with that, the pre-boot splash gives the usual Boot Menu / Diagnostics / Setup / System Recovery choices and the drive then churns away (from the sound of it) for a short time and I am left with a blinking underscore in the top left corner. I do have a repair CD if that is likely to be of any help, and the Boot Menu choice is a tantalizing possibility that I haven't tried yet, but on the other hand System Recovery is odd because there is no such partition on this drive.

I think it is worth puttering with, if only because almost no one else seems to have discussed it from a hardware point of view. Win 7 works perfectly when booted from dual boot, and it is entirely on this (1T Barracuda) hard drive except, it appears, the necessities of booting it.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought Master / Slave was ancient history for modern computers, including mine.

After disconnecting the cable on the original (Vista) drive and to be on the safe side replacing the connector to the Win 7 drive with that, the pre-boot splash gives the usual Boot Menu / Diagnostics / Setup / System Recovery choices and the drive then churns away (from the sound of it) for a short time and I am left with a blinking underscore in the top left corner. I do have a repair CD if that is likely to be of any help, and the Boot Menu choice is a tantalizing possibility that I haven't tried yet, but on the other hand System Recovery is odd because there is no such partition on this drive.

I think it is worth puttering with, if only because almost no one else seems to have discussed it from a hardware point of view. Win 7 works perfectly when booted from dual boot, and it is entirely on this (1T Barracuda) hard drive except, it appears, the necessities of booting it.
    SATA dont have master and slave jumpers only PATA ide sorry for that settings are on the BIOS. make sure you have the right setting s on your BIOS otherwise..

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I puttered some but possibly not enough, so put it back as it was and it works as it normally does. I was just dying to blow Vista (and dual boot) away for keeps, but with multiple uninstalls I can at least reduce the footprint a bit. To top it off my ShadowProtect quit recently because I missed the $15 annual fee, as a result of having changed my ISP and hence my email addresses. Nuts. At least I do have a working computer.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the BIOS tip (just received). I'll try that another day.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the BIOS tip (just received). I'll try that another day.
    do you know you can delete OS option to dual boot in msconfig.exe under boot tab, but beware coz if ever you removed the wrong option you get a boot error and you will need to reinstall your OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Peterg,
    Hello.... First you can download Macrium free edition and make a backup (Image) of your Vista HD also " Burn a Recovery disk" (just in case you want Vista back) http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp install it on your "7" OS. On my OS you wouldn't have to swap any of the drives around. Set your "7" OS as default ( Computer > Properties > Advanced System Settings > Advanced Tab drop down > select " Windows 7"as default. Boot from your "7" CD and select repair ...follow the screens . When finished you can "Format " the Vista HD from within Windows. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    You will most likel;y have to repair your MBR since it most likely resides on your Vista disk. The MBR generally is installed on the first OS installed. To repair the MBR simply boot from your installation media or System Repair disk you made (You did make a system repair disk using Backup and Restore didn't you). Follow the promps to do a repair. Open a command Prompt and type the following: bootrec.exe /fixmbr

This article explains the process.

I also removed a dual boot, Win 7 and Linux. The Linux installed the Grub BR and once I rid myself of Linux, the Win 7 MBR was not working properly. I documented the steps used to repair this in This thread.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    One drive utility (Partition Wizard) describes the Vista partition of Disk 1 as Active and Boot, and the Win 7 Partition on Disk 2 (I guess those numbers are the old 0 and 1) as Active and System.

What I am trying to find out at the moment is whether or not I have an MBR on Disk 2. I should note that this is Windows 7 Ultimate, and I believe there are certain drive requirements for Bitlocker, just to cover the territory now that we have a thread going.

Thanks
    One drive utility (Partition Wizard) describes the Vista partition of Disk 1 as Active and Boot, and the Win 7 Partition on Disk 2 (I guess those numbers are the old 0 and 1) as Active and System.

What I am trying to find out at the moment is whether or not I have an MBR on Disk 2. I should note that this is Windows 7 Ultimate, and I believe there are certain drive requirements for Bitlocker, just to cover the territory now that we have a thread going.
    If the Vista OS was loaded first and Win 7 was dual booted with the Vista OS then I believe the MBR is located on the Vista disk. If you disconnect the Vista disk, and attempt to boot into Win 7 and it does not work the answer is that yes the MBR is on the Vista disk. The fix is as mentioned above.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rather than going through the repair after the deed is done if things aren't where they need to be, unless I've missed something, I think this is a perfect job for EasyBCD. You can peremptively install the bootloader to the MBR on the desired partition if need be and remove the Vista entry, make any priority change in the BIOS if needed and it should be as smooth as a baby's behind. It should be as if Vista never existed (oh, imagine such a wonderful world!), single boot Win 7 system.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    Rather than going through the repair after the deed is done if things aren't where they need to be, unless I've missed something, I think this is a perfect job for EasyBCD. You can peremptively install the bootloader to the MBR on the desired partition if need be and remove the Vista entry, make any priority change in the BIOS if needed and it should be as smooth as a baby's behind. It should be as if Vista never existed (oh, imagine such a wonderful world!), single boot Win 7 system.
    I believe Byron is right. I have also used EasyBCD to fix boot problems. It takes a little work to figure out exactly how to use this app. Fred had some good info on how to use this app a couple on months ago. I can not find it at the moment but perhaps Fred can point it out.

Using a repair install and a command prompt is just another way to do this without a 3rd party app.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think I have ever seen more stars and recommendations for a freebie than I have for EasyBCD, for which the latest version was just released a few weeks ago. I'm a bit groggy at the moment so will postpone using it until I am more wide-awake, but it does indeed look like what the doctor ordered. I'll keep you posted on progress, but this is one job I don't want to mess up. (Here's an example: I don't even know that i have it on the right drive. Since I run Win 7 normally I downloaded it and installed it here, but if Vista is where the action is, 32-bit vs 64 by the way, maybe it should have been there.)

I will begin by reading the manual.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    If the Vista OS was loaded first and Win 7 was dual booted with the Vista OS then I believe the MBR is located on the Vista disk. If you disconnect the Vista disk, and attempt to boot into Win 7 and it does not work the answer is that yes the MBR is on the Vista disk. The fix is as mentioned above.
    yupyup i believed the last option in the boot up has the MBR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast