Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi: I have an Acer Laptop with Vista Home Premium 64 Bit SP1.
    I recently upgraded IE 7 to IE 8.I am getting message from updates that Service pack 2 is available
    to download through Windows Update.I tried downloading that way got message Download Failed
    Need Hot Fix KB 947821.Downloaded that and tried again no luck,error message Installer encountered an error 0X80240009.
    I tried downloading directly from Microsoft and get download failed. I have read the posts on here and tried the solutions
    no luck.How can I download Vista SP2 if MS is giving me the option too and it won't work.Is there a CD available with it? Anyone
    have any ideas? I would appreciate it very much.
    Thank You:

PS I have all updates from patch tuesdays installed.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Deutsch View Post
    Hi: I have an Acer Laptop with Vista Home Premium 64 Bit SP1.
    I recently upgraded IE 7 to IE 8.I am getting message from updates that Service pack 2 is available
    to download through Windows Update.I tried downloading that way got message Download Failed
    Need Hot Fix KB 947821.Downloaded that and tried again no luck,error message Installer encountered an error 0X80240009.
    I tried downloading directly from Microsoft and get download failed. I have read the posts on here and tried the solutions
    no luck.How can I download Vista SP2 if MS is giving me the option too and it won't work.Is there a CD available with it? Anyone
    have any ideas? I would appreciate it very much.
    Thank You:

PS I have all updates from patch tuesdays installed.
    have you tried disabling AV/ or malware or firewall protections?

Thanks
    Gerald, if you have not already done so, try as in this link. http://thebackroomtech.com/2008/04/0...ows-vista-sp1/ then try installing SP2.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Administrator
    Thanks
    NOTE: Before beginning the installation process backup your system.

Try downloading the hotifx from Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2. Save it on your PC. Then try to install it.

For SP2 I recommend downloading the complete package rather than letting Windows Update decide what you need. It may be downloaded from Download details: Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 - Five Language Standalone for x64-based systems (KB948465). It is a large (577 MB) download. Save it on your PC and burn it to a CD.

NOTE: Before beginning the installation process backup your system.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe P I tried your suggestion the first part went well I disabled my KIS and SuperAntiSpywarePro and backed up system.Then downloaded the system readiness tool and installed and all was good I then downloaded SP2 for Vista and burned to CD.I tried installing all was fine until after it was just about installed I got this error message:

Error-File-Not-Found 0X8007 0002 Installation was not successful.
    A System error prevented the service pack from Installing.

Please download and run the check for system update Readiness tool at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=122602

If the check for systems update Readiness tool doesn't fix the problem visit the microsoft website for more information.

It seems I downloaded that tool yesterday when I was trying to install SP2. I do not know why Vista SP2 is so hard to install.
    Any other suggestions I would appreciate.

Thank You.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe P I tried your suggestion the first part went well I disabled my KIS and SuperAntiSpywarePro and backed up system.Then downloaded the system readiness tool and installed and all was good I then downloaded SP2 for Vista and burned to CD.I tried installing all was fine until after it was just about installed I got this error message:

Please download and run the check for system update Readiness tool at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=122602

If the check for systems update Readiness tool doesn't fix the problem visit the microsoft website for more information.

It seems I downloaded that tool yesterday when I was trying to install SP2. I do not know why Vista SP2 is so hard to install.
    Any other suggestions I would appreciate.

Thank You.
    do you have administrator rights when installing all this? are all requisites been supplied before installing SP2?

Administrator
    Thanks
    I tried installing all was fine until after it was just about installed I got this error message:

Did you run the installation with your A/V disabled?

There may be something useful at How to troubleshoot Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 service pack installation issues.

Also, you can get free unlimited support from Microsoft for Vista SP-2 installation issues until August 30, 2010. See Help and Support.

Joe