WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi All

On one of my PCs I have installed Excel2010, Excel2007 and Excel2003.
    (Office2010 allows you to retain previous versions on the PC).

On my desktop, I have a shortcut to an Excel2010 macro-enable file, e.g. xxxxx.xlsm

When I click on the desktop shortcut, Excel2003 is opened (rather than Excel2010), and of course the .xlsm file is not recognisable.
    I was hoping to right-click on the xxxxx.xlsm file, and change the 'open with' to Excel2010.
    Can't seem to do that.

Any suggestions?

zeddy

Thanks
    Which order did you install in?

Also, did you already have 2003 open when you tried to open the file?

Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Thanks
    Interestingly I had a similar situation.
    Office 2003, 2007 and 2010
    They were installed in that sequence
    Running under Windows 7 32 bit.

Only Excel has all 3 versions installed, everything else is 2010
    If I double clicked on an .xls file it opens in Excel 2003
    If I double clicked or use a shortcut to an xlsm file mine opens to Office 2007 (unless I specify full App Path in the Shortcut) or Office 2010 is already Open.
    Even if I went to the File Associations and specified Open With and reference the Office 14 (2010) copy of Excel.exe it still uses 2007 for .xlsm

I have been snuffling around the registry to see if I can set it there but I haven't found anything that works YET.

SO... I tried a Repair of Office 2010 just to see if that would reset any File Associations and it reset them all to Office 2010
    After that, All Excel files and shortcuts by default opened in 2010.

Then out of interest I did a Repair of Office 2003 to see what would happen after that, but it made no difference, they now all by default open in 2010.

This currently remains the case UNLESS a particular version of Excel is Already Open (which is normal behaviour I believe).

However I cannot now currently force an .xls file to open with Excel 2003, unless Excel 2003 is already Running.
    I thought it might be possible by changing the settings under the .xls extension in the registry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Extensions

But seemed to make no difference. (Might need a reboot first) I will report back.
    Andrew

Thanks
    For 2003 you should be able to run:

Excel.exe /regserver

to reset it as the default. The regserver switch doesn't work in 2007 and later.

Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Thanks
    Yep, that did the job nicely!

Thanks
    Andrew

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Sorry for the delay.

I was testing combinations on one of my other PCs.

So, on another laptop PC, (with Windows7), i have the same three:
    Excel2003, Excel2007, Excel2010, (installed in this sequence).

If I have NO excel currently open, and I double click an .xlsb or .xlsm, it opens with Excel2010.
    If I have Excel2007 already open (alone), it will open these in that Excel2007 session.
    If I close all Excels, and then double-click an .xls file, it opens with Excel2003.

If I have Excel2003 already open (by itself), and double-click either .xlsb or .xlsm, it will open it in the Excel2003 session, but will activate the file-conversion process.
    (on this laptop).

Although this isn't a major issue for me in front of my different PCs, I was concerned that if I sent a 'desktop shortcut' to another user, pointing to a .xlsm file in a network shared folder, then, although the person would necessarily require Excel2010 to properly use the file, they may have retained a copy of Excel2003 on their own systems. And I don't want the .xlsm file triggering a load of Excel2003 (file conversion won't work properly beacuse the .xlsm file uses the huge range of columns and rows). So I was surprised on one of my other PCs that an .xlsm file triggered the load of Excel2003 rather than Excel2010 (or Excel2007), even when no Excels were currently open. If that makes sense.

I need to think about this a bit more.

many thanks for your responses.

zeddy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi All,

When a file is opened in Excel, you can use a formula cell to check which version of Excel it opened in.

Is it possible, using VBA, to then open another instance of Excel, in particular, open either specifically Excel2007 or Excel2010????

zeddy