Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tech Support

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Outlook 2003 which I believe has no bearing what-so-ever on what I am about to ask but I had to place this question somewhere. I use a high speed service as my Internet Service Provider and for months now there are times when I do not receive email to my account that I expect and want. They are usually receipts or confirmations from companies for something I have purchased on line. I have to go into a little explanation so I hope I can keep it brief.

Two weeks ago I purchased something from a certain company and immediately received and email conformation for it. Earlier this week I purchased something else from the same company and never got the confirmation and upon calling them learned that they had, indeed, sent one. So once again I called my high speed services providerís support about the issue. I say again because a month or two ago I talked to them about the same problem but about a different companyís confirmation. There was no resolution then and still isn't.

The technician (she) today tried to blame every thing from my Outlook 2003 to my router's firewall including my anti-virus program. I can sign into my high speed service accountís email through a WEB site by-passing, I believe, everything she tried to blame. There is a junk folder I see when I sign into my email account this way but nothing I am concerned about is in it and the emails in it date back well before the time I should have gotten the confirmation I wanted to receive. She claims my router's firewall would still block these emails form showing up at the high speed service's WEB mail site. I don't believe that for a minute but I sure have no proof it isn't so. But my thinking is I am seeing what has been delivered to my email account before I ask it to be downloaded to my Outlook account. Am I correct in my thinking here that neither my firewall or anti-virus program would have any affect when I sign in to my email account directly from a WEB mail account site?

That is my main question but to give another example of what happens even though my high speed service claims they do not block any IPs I have not been able to receive emails from a movie site and again I not only want these emails but I need them so I know what to expect. I set up a Gmail account and have all emails from this movie service company sent there and then transferred to my high speed service email account and I get every email that way. I don't believe I should have to use this Gmail account for businesses like I described above but if I have to I will. Still I would like some ammunition to go back to this high speed serviceís support and force the issue I have with them. So if you have any ideas why I have this problem, in addition to answering my question, please give me suggestions.

I had originally identified my service provider but didnít know if that was acceptable so changed every occurrence of its name to high speed service so I apologize for how this may read at times. For future reference would I be allowed to identify them or not?

Thanks
    H Lewton

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It is good that you have not named the service, no point in upsetting anyone.

You have effectively proved that your main email service blocks some email. This is not really surprising as all ISPs attempt to limit the amount of spam - some get it right and some don't.
    I don't think it is worth pursuing them over the matter as they are unlikely to admit they lose mail for fear of the consequences. Stick to using an external mail service where you can control what happens to potential spam. The additional benefit is you can change your ISP without having to change your email.

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul but switching ISPs is not really a viable option. For some reason there is no competition that is as fast as this company in my local area. The next town over has a good service provider with as high a speed as I have but we can't get them here or I would have switched a long time ago.

I'm happy you agree with my conclusions but, for the life of me, I could not get this sub-par support person to understand that. Still it is good to know I was on the right track.
    H Lewton

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you go to web mail at your ISP and can't see the email then your ISP blocked it or did not receive it. If you can stand to call your ISP support desk again you should insist on talking to a supervisor or second level support technician. First level support often goes by a script and is not really technically proficient.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    About the only way to prove this and get it fixed is if one of the SENDERS can supply you with a bounce message. Unfortunately the robotic type senders you are talking about will not be able to do that.

Basically the bounce message that the sender gets back will show why the message was dropped and can be traced to where.

(this is assuming that the mailserver is setup according to proper standards and is not just dropping the mail completely.)

Thanks
    Also you should be able to go to your ISP and tell them to take you off their SPAM filter, or find an ISP who is more responsive. Of course then you will need to wade through it yourself, but it may be better to delete mail on your end than to look for it on the ISP's end.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    Also you should be able to go to your ISP and tell them to take you off their SPAM filter.
    I doubt that you will be able to completely accomplish this. I have a mailserver that runs blacklists on the front end that drop the mail before it is even processed.

My server has 62 users and in the last 24hrs it received 815 mails. The public blacklists (RBL) rejected (bounced) 285 before they were ever brought into the mail system. Spamassassin got another 108 and delivered them directly to the junkmail folders on the server (the users can tweak these rules by "training" spamassassin with known spam and known good mail (ham). Spamassassin marked another 8 as possible spam and delivered them to users inboxes. The server delivered a total of 412 mails.

The only time I have had a problem with false positives is if one of the people sending me mail gets blacklisted on the RBL's because they have a spambot. This type of system does take ongoing administration to "train" the spam filter but can do a very fine job of filtering with little to no false positives.

I would be very reluctant to put any mailbox in front of the RBL as then the mailserver would have to process and do the filtering on all that extra mail. If I can get a copy of a bounce message from the sender that is blacklisted and I am convinced that they have fixed their spambot problem, I can either get them delisted from most public blacklists or can whitelist them so just that sender has an open path in. Your ISP should be able to do the same but they need a bounce message to fix it if they have multiple layers of filtering like I use.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all. I think I may try again to talk to them as Joe suggests. I mean what do I have to lose?
    H Lewton

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hlewton View Post
    I use a high speed service as my Internet Service Provider and for months now there are times when I do not receive email to my account that I expect and want.
    is your outlook configured to send/received automatically? just asking

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bong tubera View Post
    The poster also checked on the provider's webmail site and the mail is not there, so send/receive cannot be the problem.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    The poster also checked on the provider's webmail site and the mail is not there, so send/receive cannot be the problem.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bong tubera View Post
    No I do it manually by hitting "Send/Receive."
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    A bit of an update. I decided to try again and called my ISP. I asked for second level support. After about 45 minutes on the phone that tech reported to me just the exact opposite of what their first line support told me the other day. He admitted that the most recent site I was concerned about was, in fact, being blocked by them. He has put through a request in my name to unblock the site so I feel my efforts have had some good results especially if it actually does get unblocked which apparently I won't know for 5 or 6 days, if then.

It also appears that even though earlier this week when talking to the first line of support I was able to successfully ping the IP address of this blocked site it was no proof that the site wasn't actually being blocked by my ISP. Go figure, huh.
    H Lewton

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Ping has nothing to do with blocking email.
    I would still be using an alternate email provider that provides you with more control.

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    Ping has nothing to do with blocking email.
    I would still be using an alternate email provider that provides you with more control.

cheers, Paul
    Thank you for that answer. The one tech tried her best to convince that if the ping was successful it was proof that I should be getting any email sent from that site.
    H Lewton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast