Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Marietta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    236
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I have used Norton Systemworks on my Windows XP system for several years. I am currently running the 2006 version.

    The main reason I use it is for Norton WinDoctor. I also use Norton WipeInfo and the Norton Protected Recycle Bin. Norton WinDoctor seems to do a good job of cleaning up problems in the registry. I used it successfully on several computers before my current system. I currently have it scheduled to run three times a week.

    I recently purchased PCs with Windows 7 for my wife. I decided it would be a good idea to run Norton Systemworks on her PCs. When I started researching the latest version of Norton Systemworks, it appears that they don't even sell it any more. I know it has been a LOOOONG time since I saw any new updates appear through their Live Update service.

    I'm open to suggestions. Is there a new version of Norton Systemworks for Windows 7? Or is there something better that I should consider?
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

  2. #2
    5 Star Lounger chowur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    804
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 54 Times in 51 Posts
    Norton Systemworks has been replaced with Norton 360.Which did not get any decent reviews any where on the web. Most swear by Microsoft Security Essentials you can check it out here;MSE You can also check out reviews from;Bing It's the matter of personal preference.I myself use,Eset Smart Security 4.After you check out the reviews & you decide on what program you want.I would like to point you to my favorite site;Newwegg Good luck on what ever you decide on.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

  3. #3
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    20,655
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 635 Times in 568 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rgrosz View Post
    I recently purchased PCs with Windows 7 for my wife. I decided it would be a good idea to run Norton Systemworks on her PCs. When I started researching the latest version of Norton Systemworks, it appears that they don't even sell it any more. I know it has been a LOOOONG time since I saw any new updates appear through their Live Update service.

    I'm open to suggestions. Is there a new version of Norton Systemworks for Windows 7? Or is there something better that I should consider?
    Here's a positive review of Norton 360 Version 4.0 Review & Rating | PCMag.com which according to System Requirements tab at Firewall - Anti Virus - Phishing Protection | Norton 360 is compatible with Windows 7 32-bit & 64-bit.

    Be sure to check out the features closely before assuming that all that was in Systemworks is in 360.

    Joe

  4. #4
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Marietta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    236
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Here's a positive review of Norton 360 Version 4.0 Review & Rating | PCMag.com which according to System Requirements tab at Firewall - Anti Virus - Phishing Protection | Norton 360 is compatible with Windows 7 32-bit & 64-bit.

    Be sure to check out the features closely before assuming that all that was in Systemworks is in 360.

    Joe
    Joe, thanks for those links. It sounds like I probably will NOT go with Norton 360.

    I already have multiple licenses for WebRoot SpySweeper with AntiVirus on all our computers. I also have a firewall that I like, so there would be a LOT of duplication between the two packages. I would need to turn off a bunch of stuff that I would not use in Norton 360.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

  5. #5
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Marietta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    236
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chowur View Post
    Norton Systemworks has been replaced with Norton 360.Which did not get any decent reviews any where on the web. Most swear by Microsoft Security Essentials you can check it out here;MSE You can also check out reviews from;Bing It's the matter of personal preference.I myself use,Eset Smart Security 4.After you check out the reviews & you decide on what program you want.I would like to point you to my favorite site;Newwegg Good luck on what ever you decide on.
    I have played with MSE, but I was really looking for a package that provided more functionality like Norton Systemworks. Norton 360 has a bunch of extra security-related stuff, which I get from WebRoot SpySweeper. I too am a big fan of Newegg.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

  6. #6
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    20,655
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 635 Times in 568 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rgrosz View Post
    I have played with MSE, but I was really looking for a package that provided more functionality like Norton Systemworks. Norton 360 has a bunch of extra security-related stuff, which I get from WebRoot SpySweeper. I too am a big fan of Newegg.
    You might want to check Norton Utilities. I don't think it odes everything your want but may do most of it.

    Joe

  7. #7
    Gold Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Johnson City, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    3,203
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 215 Times in 202 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rgrosz View Post
    I'm open to suggestions. Is there a new version of Norton Systemworks for Windows 7? Or is there something better that I should consider?
    rgrosz,
    Hello.. I have used Norton 360 since v 2 ( now v 4.2 ) for my PC security along with Malwarebytes. On one of my OS's (Vista) i have run as an experiment 10 or 11 months now with no "patches " or "updates" just Norton and MB ... so far no problems. Norton has reasonably good "tech help" and has never failed to answer any of my questions. I would not hesitate to recommend 360 to anyone.You can set it up through the main screen to configure how you want it to run. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

    None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

  8. #8
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Marietta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    236
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    You might want to check Norton Utilities. I don't think it odes everything your want but may do most of it.

    Joe
    I went out to Amazon to read the reviews for Norton utilities. There were very few reviews, from mostly unhappy customers.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •