Thanks
    Update:

I found one solution:

http://www.johnchapman.name/using-co...and-word-2010/

I don't have a clean enough example as yet to upload, but it does seem to work.

Simpler solutions would be greatly appreciated.

CB
    --------
    If I have a template that has a filed ("RUNNING HEAD:") with a prompt ("Enter Running Head::"), is there a way to have the input show up in two separate places? APA 6th Ed. calls for the header to be "RUNNING HEAD: Header" flush left on the title page of a document, and then flush right (sans "RUNNING HEAD" on subsequent pages, so I'm after being able to enter it once and have it show in both places.

How can I do this -- duplicate filed inputs in multiple places?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Chuck,

That is an interesting link (thanks for posting it), but depending on what you're trying to do, it may be more trouble than it's worth.

If you don't need access to the particular features that the content controls provide (such as the date chooser mentioned in the article you linked to), then you can still do this pretty simply by using the legacy text formfield, combined with a REF field.

Be sure to give the text formfield a bookmark name (in the Text Form Field Options dialog), and refer to that bookmark name in the REF field. Also, put a checkmark next to 'Calculate on Exit' in the Text Form Field Options dialog - that's necessary so that whatever the user enters in the formfield, will automatically update in the REF field.

Gary

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Frieder View Post
    Chuck,

That is an interesting link (thanks for posting it), but depending on what you're trying to do, it may be more trouble than it's worth.

If you don't need access to the particular features that the content controls provide (such as the date chooser mentioned in the article you linked to), then you can still do this pretty simply by using the legacy text formfield, combined with a REF field.

Be sure to give the text formfield a bookmark name (in the Text Form Field Options dialog), and refer to that bookmark name in the REF field. Also, put a checkmark next to 'Calculate on Exit' in the Text Form Field Options dialog - that's necessary so that whatever the user enters in the formfield, will automatically update in the REF field.

Gary
    I'll give that a look Gary. Thanks.

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Chuck

That link shows how to use content controls with xml data that is custom created. There is a much simpler way to insert Content Controls IF you are using information contained in the standard document properties.

For instance, if you want to edit the document metadata in the standard properties (Title, Subject, Keywords, Author, Company etc) then you can go to the Insert Tab in the Ribbon and select the Quick Parts > Document Property > whatever

The benefits of using this content control rather than the DocProperty field are:
    1. The property can be edited directly without having to open the Document Properties Dialog or Task Pane
    2. Where the same Content Control is used in multiple locations in the document, editing one instance instantly updates the other instances. Fields need to be updated manually or by options set to update on open or print.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Lockton View Post
    Chuck

That link shows how to use content controls with xml data that is custom created. There is a much simpler way to insert Content Controls IF you are using information contained in the standard document properties.

For instance, if you want to edit the document metadata in the standard properties (Title, Subject, Keywords, Author, Company etc) then you can go to the Insert Tab in the Ribbon and select the Quick Parts > Document Property > whatever

The benefits of using this content control rather than the DocProperty field are:
    1. The property can be edited directly without having to open the Document Properties Dialog or Task Pane
    2. Where the same Content Control is used in multiple locations in the document, editing one instance instantly updates the other instances. Fields need to be updated manually or by options set to update on open or print.
    Andrew, I apologize, but I am, totally lost in what you said. I watched a copy of what I work with for you. I need this about three times a week, so I thought a template would do.

In the attached (a Word 2010 template), I wanted to mo0ve the "RUNNING HEAD" up into the page header, so that, starting on page 2, the "RUNNING HEAD" would be gone, and just the capitalized text.

There are undoubtedly easier ways, but at least what I had set up seemed to work -- until I tried to format the darn header.

The copy I attached is a Word 2010 template, but the extension is changed obviously to get past "security".

I had been doing OK till I tried to reformat the header...noew I'm all screwed around...

Regards,
    Chuck
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    OK Chuck, the document you attached has no Content Controls in it. I don't know whether you have actually placed them there and lost them by saving into Word 2003 format but they aren't there at present. So it appears you have used fields rather than Content Controls. This is no big deal and fields can also work well enough. Certainly fields are easier to understand than Content Controls so you need to explore the fields before you jump into the more complex world of Content Controls.

It is not immediately apparent what you want to do with the running head since you state it has to appear on the first page only. If that is the case then you can just type it on the page. Alternatively, you might turn on the Different First Page setting and place this content into the First Page Header but not in the other headers.

With a title of 'Running Head' I would expect that you want a heading used on a page to appear in the headers after that page. This is normally done with a StyleRef field. If this is what you want, do a search on this forum for the word StyleRef as this has been discussed here in the past.

Thanks
    OK Chuck, the document you attached has no Content Controls in it. I don't know whether you have actually placed them there and lost them by saving into Word 2003 format but they aren't there at present. So it appears you have used fields rather than Content Controls. This is no big deal and fields can also work well enough. Certainly fields are easier to understand than Content Controls so you need to explore the fields before you jump into the more complex world of Content Controls.

It is not immediately apparent what you want to do with the running head since you state it has to appear on the first page only. If that is the case then you can just type it on the page. Alternatively, you might turn on the Different First Page setting and place this content into the First Page Header but not in the other headers.

With a title of 'Running Head' I would expect that you want a heading used on a page to appear in the headers after that page. This is normally done with a StyleRef field. If this is what you want, do a search on this forum for the word StyleRef as this has been discussed here in the past.
    Andrew, first, I admit to not thoroughly understanding (or maybe not at all!) the steps involved in what I am trying to accomplish. Secondly, I suppose I could just type in the fist (title page) header and start the repeating header on page 2, but, partly at the cost of being persnickety, and partly because thought and still do think that this would serve as a perfect opportunity to learn one more thing about how Wo0rd works, decided I wanted to try to "automate" the process. Thirdly, it didn't seem like I was asking too much of Word to, in effect, have a header on the title page and a modified version of the same header in the rest of the document. That all being the case,

I don't know enough about that attachment not having content controls. If text in a header is considered a (text box) control, then I do have that, otherwise I do not. In fact, I had thought of them as fields -- in set up and in use. That's how and why I ended up at ( http://tinyurl.com/ycslg27 ) for a way to do it. It seemed logical enough, and effective. So the repeating part (to be used in fact in more than just headers) was OK.

That left me with only what amounts to one header on the title page, and something else starting on page two. That is a part of conforming to APA 6th Ed. Again, maybe most won't give a darn whether APA 5 (used in Word 2010) or APA 6 is in place, but again, I saw it as a good time and place to learn something I didn't (and still don't) know.

That all having been said...

What I am after is a template that will be used to produce manuscripts in APA 6th Ed. format. the guidelines and formatting examples can be found here ( http://tinyurl.com/27n39ga ), put together by a professor at Vanguard University in California. I figured using fields was convenient, and the prompts would help the user -- although, strangely, when using the repeat method (first link above), I can't seem to get prompts for the fields.

I got far enough that my formatting and placements were all as I wanted them, but this "changing headers" piece is eluding me. I say "changing" header, because pages 1 and thereafter are the same -- except for the "Running Head:" inclusion on the title page. I have tried -- repeatedly -- to follow Microsoft's instructions ( Add different headers and footers or page numbers in different parts of the document) in 2010's help, but, again, after some dozen tries, I cannot get it to do what I want.

---
    Ignore this... Gary Frieder showed me where that is...

Incidentally, I went back looking for the "Different first page" switch, and couldn't find iI -- maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing altogether.
    ---
    Again Andrew, if this were a one time deal, I'd be crazy to go through this. But it isn't at all, so it is something I could use -- repeatedly.

So there you have it.

Chuck

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have reworked your document to include Content Controls and get rid of the fillin fields. You can now select the these items and type in the content you want.

Because I have used Content Controls, the text you type into the Running Head CC will automatically update both the document property and the duplicated content control in the header.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    I have reworked your document to include Content Controls and get rid of the fillin fields. You can now select the these items and type in the content you want.

Because I have used Content Controls, the text you type into the Running Head CC will automatically update both the document property and the duplicated content control in the header.
    Thanks Andrew! I'll give this a shot.

Regards,
    Chuck