New Lounger
    Hi All,

I recently installed a second hard drive in my desktop box. However, it seems that the new drive is spinning down sometimes.
    At first I thought the drive may be faulty. But then I checked my my power options and noticed it's set to power down the hard drives after 1 hour (which is what I want).

My question is this:
    Will the D: drive power down independently from the main C: drive? That is, if the second drive drive hasn't been accessed in 1 hour will it power down, even though the main C: is still running and being accessed?

California & Arizona
    Check the make and model of your specific drive in question, if it's a "green" energy conservation drive it will powerdown to a lower level after a period of inactivity. It is fare more likely that you have an energy efficient drive.

An energy consvative secondary drive may not fully power up until it is accessed.
    Mine behave this way and I don't have search or indexing available to them; Windows explorer takes
    a few moments to access my energy effiecient drives, but not the older standard non energy efficient drive.
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

WS Lounge VIP
    If the power down is 1 hour of inactivity you may find that something is running on one drive but not accessing the other - not sure if Windows is this clever!

cheers, Paul

Central Florida
    I'm pretty sure y'all have heard the old saying "Kill two birds with one stone".

Over the years since I found the Power Management app in Windows, I've been experimenting with
    different settings to match my PC usage format. I might bring up Solitaire, for instance, and then
    sit here and play it for an hour. Once the program has loaded into RAM, I don't need the HD sitting
    there churning away, drawing PSU power and generating a lot of heat. So after experimenting with
    many time settings, I finally got down to five minutes to power down the HD. This setting does exactly
    what it's supposed to do..... it greatly reduces the overall power usage in the system and also cuts
    down on the heat buildup within the system. This setting would be extremely helpful on those very
    small PC cases that have little or NO room for extra case fans.

If there's any downside, it would be during shutdown, because Windows has to first fire up every drive
    connected to the system, to make sure there are no open files, before it can shut down the system.

One of the biggest heat generators in any system is the hard drive and too much heat will KILL the drive,
    so keeping it as cool as possible will help it to live longer. I use two-fan coolers on every one of my hard
    drives to keep them always at room temperature, but I still power down the drives when they are not
    needed, just to keep the overall heat inside my case down to a bare minimum.

This may not be right for everyone, but it sure WORKS FOR ME!

Cheers Mates,
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!