4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The workstations here at the office point to a single dedicated computer for their home page. From time to time I need to reboot that computer during business hours. When that computer is down or rebooting, is there a way that users with it as their home page will be automatically redirected to a secondary location in our building? Seems to me that it would be possible but I don't know how to go about finding the answer. Can this be done and, if so, how? Thanks!
    Daisy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
    The workstations here at the office point to a single dedicated computer for their home page. From time to time I need to reboot that computer during business hours. When that computer is down or rebooting, is there a way that users with it as their home page will be automatically redirected to a secondary location in our building? Seems to me that it would be possible but I don't know how to go about finding the answer. Can this be done and, if so, how? Thanks!
    Hypothetically, you could edit your network DNS settings so that the host name (e.g., http://homeserver/) points to a different server IP address. Because of DNS and ARP caching by Windows client devices, I'm not sure how quickly you could make the change. You might need a transitional window when both servers are available.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Hypothetically, you could edit your network DNS settings so that the host name (e.g., http://homeserver/) points to a different server IP address. Because of DNS and ARP caching by Windows client devices, I'm not sure how quickly you could make the change. You might need a transitional window when both servers are available.
    Sounds like something I'd have to setup or turn on each time I reboot that computer? Hmm. Coming at this from a different angle, when the user gets the error page (when the computer is down or rebooting) maybe there's a way to customize that page to include a link to a secondary location where they can click and get the content they need temporarily?
    Daisy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    See this thread - How to change "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error messages. It seems you can do it but it does not appear very easy.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Would this technique work?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_robin_DNS

How well do you understand DNS....... And what is serving your local dns on your domain?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc787484(WS.10).aspx

<Edit> I was thinking we used this for failover but the more I think about it we were using it for load balancing instead.... I don't think there is any way to make one IP the "Priority"

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The answer is "do not re-boot the machine during the day". There is no way to persuade the browser to change home page when the server is down, but you can cheat and use a different server as the home page and re-direct to the real server when it's up. To stop the re-direct you need to edit the home page before you re-boot the real intranet server and edit it post re-boot. A simple batch file will allow you to copy the "maintenance" page in and out as required.

cheers, Paul