5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On 08.16.2010 PCMag released its picks for Top 100 Web Sites of 2010

Thanks
    PC Mag has their list, I have my list, you have your list.
    So?
    Does anyone know how many web sites there are?
    There is NO way that they can all be evaluated in 1 year.
    Sorry, this has little meaning to me.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    I wouldn't be so negative Russ.

By looking through that list you may come across a diamond of a web site that may replace one of your favourites

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Many moons ago, when this site was called Woody's Lounge members were welcomed to post links like that one as they served a very useful purpose and highlight some excellent sites.

There was one forum in Woody's that was "Software - Finds and Wants" that was a veritable gold mine of freeware and shareware.

I welcome such offerings, thanks Tim
    Jerry

Thanks
    I agree Jezza.
    Posts like Jim's have lead me to many interesting and informative sites.
    We all cannot surf the web 24/7 and I don't believe any one can.
    But there are many on this site who come across web sites and info that can be very useful to many on this site.
    Catz

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    How can they possibly know: it's still August and 2010 has a long way to go yet. Besides, the Wired that came in yesterday's snail mail has a blazing cover that proclaims The Web is dead.

To get back to the spirit of The Lounge, an especially interesting list to have is one for search and metasearch engines, and a rich source of recommendations and comparisons are the web sites of modern public (or university etc.) libraries. They know where the action is.

To get back to the spirit of Scuttlebutt, I'm a little surprised to not have seen yet a single reference to an old song, Barney Google (with the goo-goo-googly eyes). Now I'll have to look the thing up myself to be sure of my facts, but I know some of the song complete with melody. In fact it's horribly horribly catchy: who knows what horrors may come of my drawing attention to it. In the wrong hands, it could be used for ever more advertising, or as a satirical tool, it could cost, well, it's just hard not to make those 'O's into eyes and add the ready-made music and lyrics for a lot of fun.

All right, I just downloaded (one version of) the song and listened to it, and a quick search should turn it up for you with lots of (search) hits. Try "Barney Google song 1923".

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    PC Mag has their list, I have my list, you have your list.
    So?
    Does anyone know how many web sites there are?
    There is NO way that they can all be evaluated in 1 year.
    Sorry, this has little meaning to me.
    182 million, give or take.

http://www.labnol.org/internet/total...orldwide/5206/

Neither Wired nor PC Magazine could possibly have looked at all of them. So take all such lists as Scuttlebutt and choose your favorites based on your own experiences.
    -- Bob Primak --

Lurker
    Thanks
    @PeterG-- we had an old Victrola when I was a kid with several old 78rpm discs. (I'd give anything if I still had it) One of the records was the old Barney Google song you're talking about! That post really brought back wonderful memories to me!

Thanks
    Having such a list gives the less "aware" some idea of what is "out there" I believe there is therefore a place for this kind of (admittedly) not-comprehensively-researched information. It at least provides a starting point onto which others can build (for example by adding suggestions/opinions/reviews in a forum such as this).
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is an example of the sort of thing that can be useful, but you will have to do your own research in finding them.

Almost any magazine or newspaper you can name will have a web site, which is normally free and which will change on a monthly or weekly or daily basis. Wired is a good example. The New York Times is a good example. Arts and Letters Daily is a good example of a site that is chiefly ‘teasers’ with links to current opinion in the arts and letters. New Scientist is an example of the many that cover the sciences.

It should not matter whether it suits your tastes or not – if nothing else you can compare the eye candy of sites themselves or the quality of writing or editorial opinion there expressed: you may shake your fist at it or be speechless at wisdom of it. You may follow columnists, or you may be so analytical as to count words. Start collecting columns from the New York Times and use your word count function to see how far they stray from 500 words. That is disciplined writing.

Sources like these give you plenty to think about other than computers. They also make you a more interesting person to others, by giving you things to talk about.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Some may find this a useful place for frequently updated news stories.......
    MyNewsHub is a convenient way of viewing news

MyNewsHub is a convenient way of viewing news from US's top news channels Fox CNN CBS etc. Updated every 15 minutes, free , it also covers local news.

Notice the tabs for Health, Science, etc. giving some things to talk about.