2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How do I automate an online fillable form wherein the person filling in the form will automatically be taken from field to field once the maximum length has ben reached? Example: A telephone number where the 3-digit area code has been enterred and instead of the person having to tab to the next field to enter the next 7 digit the user is automatically taken to the next field.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrown5 View Post
    How do I automate an online fillable form wherein the person filling in the form will automatically be taken from field to field once the maximum length has ben reached? Example: A telephone number where the 3-digit area code has been enterred and instead of the person having to tab to the next field to enter the next 7 digit the user is automatically taken to the next field.
    Is the form actually a web page (where you could use JavaScript to monitor each keypress) or a Word document the user would use in an Office Web Control? I don't know whether you can monitor keystrokes in an OWC.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If by any chance you're not talking about a form you need to fill out in a web browser, but just mean a form you can fill out in a Word document: In a Word document, you have the option of creating a custom dialog box (aka userform) and use the MaxLength and AutoTab properties of textbox controls, to do what you're describing.

Gary

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A hyperlink will be on a webpage.

What is a custom dialog box (aka userform)?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you need this to be on a webpage, then a Word userform would not be a relevant solution.

Just for information, the attached screenshot illustrates a Word userform - you need to have a little basic knowledge of VBA to implement these.

It may be that this thread should be moved to a different forum on the Lounge, since it relates to developing a webpage.

Gary

[attachment=89697:UserformExample.JPG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    A hyperlink will be on a webpage.
    I think the more critical question is whether the form itself will be in a web page or in a Word document.

Note that security restrictions in Word documents may inhibit some of the features of the application from working in a browser.

Thanks
    From the usability point of view I would suggest that this is not a good idea, because it causes inconsistency and user frustration.

There will be some fields which just won't get filled, and the user will get used to doing Tab to get to the next field. Having filled in the 3-digit area code the user will automatically press Tab - and bypass the field which follows!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    There will be some fields which just won't get filled, and the user will get used to doing Tab to get to the next field. Having filled in the 3-digit area code the user will automatically press Tab - and bypass the field which follows!
    This has happened to me and I agree it's annoying. It's also annoying if I am overtyping an incorrect entry and have to keep returning to the field because the code simply counts the total characters rather than being aware of what I'm actually doing.