Thanks
    OK, I'm getting there. using what all I've been given, I got all my headers in and formatted.

In the directions I usedI was able to "disconnect the header on Page 2 from Page 1, so that it was different:

(http://officebeta.microsoft.com/en-u...72690.aspx#BM4 )

Add different headers and footers or page numbers in different parts
    1. Click at the beginning of the page where you want to start, stop, or change the header, footer, or page numbering.
    You can press HOME to make sure that you're at the start of the page.

1. On the Page Layout tab, in the Page Setup group, click Breaks.

1. Under Section Breaks, click Next Page.
    2. Double-click in the header area or the footer area (near the top of the page or near the bottom of the page).
    This opens the Design tab under Header & Footer Tools.

1. On the Design, in the Navigation group, click Link to Previous to turn it off.
    2. Do one of the following:
      • Follow the instructions for <a href="http://officebeta.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/add-or-remove-headers-footers-and-page-numbers-HA010372690.aspx#BM1">adding a page number or for adding a header and footer with a page number.
      • Select the header or footer and press DELETE.
    3. To choose a numbering format or the starting number, click Page Number in the Header & Footer group, click Format Page Numbers, click the format that you want and the Start at number that you want to use, and then click OK.
    4. To return to the body of your document, click Close Header and Footer on the Design tab (under Header & Footer Tools).
    But now, it wants a different header for each page.

I have my header on Page 1;
    I broke the connect and got my header for Page 2;

Now, how do I connect Page 3 (and onward) so that they are like Page 2 -- and continue the numbering etc through the rest of the document?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Chuck,

The instructions you've copied here are for adding a section break in a document, but you don't need to do this in order to get one type of header on page 1 of your document, and a different type of header recurring from page 2 on. Instead, you can just keep the entire document as one section, and use the 'Different first page' property of the section.

I'm not near a PC with Word 2010 at the moment, but in Word 2007, you can get to the Page Setup dialog via: Page Layout tab on Ribbon > click dialog launcher at bottom right of Page Setup group. In the Page Setup dialog, click on the Layout tab and put a checkmark next to 'Different first page'. Once you do this, your document will have a First Page Header/Footer on the first page, and a Header/Footer for all continuation pages.

Gary

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Frieder View Post
    Chuck,

The instructions you've copied here are for adding a section break in a document, but you don't need to do this in order to get one type of header on page 1 of your document, and a different type of header recurring from page 2 on. Instead, you can just keep the entire document as one section, and use the 'Different first page' property of the section.

I'm not near a PC with Word 2010 at the moment, but in Word 2007, you can get to the Page Setup dialog via: Page Layout tab on Ribbon > click dialog launcher at bottom right of Page Setup group. In the Page Setup dialog, click on the Layout tab and put a checkmark next to 'Different first page'. Once you do this, your document will have a First Page Header/Footer on the first page, and a Header/Footer for all continuation pages.

Gary
    THAT'S where it was / is! I'm just slow...

Thanks Gary!

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"