New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using Outlook 2003 on Win7 64-bit. None of the archived pst files I have will open in Outlook. The response when trying to open the files is "Outlook has encountered a problem and will close the program" (or restart Outlook). I have Win7 Pro 64-bit. Outlook works fine otherwise. I have run detect and repair, tried setting up a new profile, ran scanpst on the files, tried importing the files into a folder (didn't work), all to no avail. Does anyone have a solution for this issue? To date I've found no answers on various websites.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you tried opening the archived PST files on another PC (that isn't running Win7 64-bit)? I'm not aware of any compatibility issues with Outlook 2003 and Win7 64-bit, but if you can open them on another PC, then you may be able to export the information to a delimited format and then import it into your current PST file.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The files open fine on a machine running XP SP3. I am running Outlook 2003 in XP SP3 compatibility mode on Windows 7 64-bit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon Sawatzky View Post
    The files open fine on a machine running XP SP3. I am running Outlook 2003 in XP SP3 compatibility mode on Windows 7 64-bit.
    I suspect that this has something to do with the fact that Outlook 2003 is about seven years old.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon Sawatzky View Post
    Why are you running Outlook in compatability mode?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running Outlook 2003 in XP SP3 mode because when I didn't it would sometimes encounter a problem and just close for no reason. In XP mode it works well except for opening pst files I have archived.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've scoured the Web and cannot find a solution to the problem, so I've given up. It must be an incompatibility between Outlook 2003 and Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. My workaround is to open the PST files on my XP SP3 computer and copy all the Outlook folders to a new folder on my Win 7 (networked) computer. These folders have the xnk extension, so with Outlook Tools I allow Outlook to open these files. I can now open the archived files this way on my Win 7 computer. If anyone ever comes up with a solution to opening PST files directly in Outlook 2003 running on a Win 7 64-bit computer, I would like to know about it. Thanks for the respondents.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    SOLVED: Shortly after posting my last reply saving I had given up, I found the solution: I was running Outlook in XP SP3 mode. I cancelled running Outlook in compatibility mode and this solved the problem. I can now open my archived pst files.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanks for posting the solution - someone else is bound to encounter that issue and hopefully will find the answer here in the Lounge.
    Wendell