New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have winxp sp3 - ie8 - a few websites it doesnt display webpage. I tried to ping ip address and dns name it doesnt reply. I've tried deleting all history and cookies, etc. tried ipconfig /flushdns. i can run nslookup and it finds it by IP address. These websites are accessed by the HR manager on a daily basis and after the updates for IE8 and windows it appears now she cant access the same sites. Should i uninstall ie8? Please help

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you cannot ping the website, it is not an IE problem as ping is not tied to a web browser at all. (however the website may block ping)

If you cannot ping by IP either, it would indicate that the problem is not DNS. (You still have the caveat that the website must allow ping or this test means nothing)

You say that you can find it with nslookup. Is this from the workstation that cannot access it with IE?

Can you test with firefox or another workstation?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried other workstations and the websites can be accessed. This particular computer doesn't have firefox installed. I appreciate all the help i can get. Yes, i can run nslookup by the ip but when i type the dns name in there is no response

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    If you cannot ping the website, it is not an IE problem as ping is not tied to a web browser at all. (however the website may block ping)

If you cannot ping by IP either, it would indicate that the problem is not DNS. (You still have the caveat that the website must allow ping or this test means nothing)

You say that you can find it with nslookup. Is this from the workstation that cannot access it with IE?

Can you test with firefox or another workstation?

Yes, i can ping from any other machine by IP or dnsname. This machine doesn't have firefox installed, and yes i can run nslookup by IP on the machine that can't ping two websites and cant access through IE. and it sees it. I also disabled Mcafee firewall and windows. I can ping other domains ie., google.com.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    something is blocking or redirecting these IP addresses at the network level on that machine.

Why this would have changed with IE updates or windows updates......?????

Do you have a VPN client or other software that may be running a firewall installed on this machine?
    It seems unlikely to me that this is the problem as we cannot even make the most basic connection with ping......

Did you run and install the same updates on the other machines that work?
    Are you using any filtering software on your network?

Nslookup does not actually connect to the website. It only queries DNS to see if there is an entry...

Thanks
    Make sure you don't have a proxy server installed. Go to Control Panel-Internet Options and click on the connections tab. Then click on the Lan settings button and verify that Use a Proxy server is not checked.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    something is blocking or redirecting these IP addresses at the network level on that machine.

Why this would have changed with IE updates or windows updates......?????

Do you have a VPN client or other software that may be running a firewall installed on this machine?
    It seems unlikely to me that this is the problem as we cannot even make the most basic connection with ping......

Did you run and install the same updates on the other machines that work?
    Are you using any filtering software on your network?

Nslookup does not actually connect to the website. It only queries DNS to see if there is an entry...
    You are correct i don't think it has to do with the IE update, but could windows update corrupt a file that uses the ping command. There is no VPN on our network i have disabled Mcafee firewall and windows firewall.
    There is no filtering on the network.

Interesting enough i have to add from my machine i can ping by IP and DNS name, as i took window updates on the 13th. I went to my Director of IT and asked him to try and ping the same IP 204.247.59.6 DNS name is hr.ascentis.com and he gets timed out as well. His machine and mine are set up exactly the same in the network settings as she is. Is there a way to find out how the IP or DNS is being blocked by certain machines. So basically these computers are set the same except for the last digit of the IP for outside access and some of them can ping and some can't????

I greatly appreciate your help I am baffled.....

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It would seem to be your gateway/firewall preventing access. Try this command from a good and bad machine.
    tracert ascentis.com
    This will list all the points your PC goes through to access the web site.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Witalka View Post
    Make sure you don't have a proxy server installed. Go to Control Panel-Internet Options and click on the connections tab. Then click on the Lan settings button and verify that Use a Proxy server is not checked.

Jerry
    Thank you i did check that and the Proxy server was unchecked. Actually that happened to another machine because she was using 2 browsers IE and FireFox. Any other ideas would be great.

Lynette

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jnrylady View Post
    I also disabled Mcafee firewall and windows.
    So were you using two software firewalls (McAfee and Windows Firewall?) on the machine that could not connect to the web sites in question? And still cannot connect to them after disabling both firewalls? Do you by any chance use more than one real time protection anti-virus programs on the same machine?

On the computers that cannot connect to the web sites in question, is there any common software package installed on them that is not installed on the machines that have no problem bringing up the web site?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill