New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was wondering if you guys can help with this.

I got an e-mail from RoadRunner saying that spam is coming from my IP address. So, I ran the following on the 5 computers on my network:
    Avast Antivirus
    Spybot S&D
    Adaware
    SuperAntispyware
    ComboFix (RR's their suggestion)

After about a week, I get another e-mail from RR telling me that I'm still spamming and they are going to discontinue my service if I don't fix it. Their option is nucleur - re-format and re-install windows.

Anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

At least, any ideas on figuring out which PC is infected to narrow down the hunt?

I'm using a Belkin Wireless G router and use Win XP and Win 7. I also have 2 iphones and a Tivo going through that network.
    When I look at the connected devices, I recognize them all, so I don't think anyone's hijacked my router.

TIA

Thanks
    Did RR not give you the outgoing Port number? Or suggest that they could block Port 25 to block the spam?

I'd set the router to block all port 25 (SMTP) Outbound traffic first, that should stop the spam being sent.

Use 1 PC to scan/rescan the router logs looking for any blocked traffic until you get a positive result. The outgoing IP address will give you the machine responsible.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try scanning all machines with MBAM

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

It may not find everything but it would be a pretty smart infection that could hide itself completely. Also manually run windows update on each machine and see if any of them redirect or block it.

If the above two test are inconclusive, I am going to point you to a very powerful and techy tool called GFI languard.

http://www.gfi.com/lannetscan

The trial version works for up to 5 IP addresses so you may have to turn off some of your less suspected devices such as printers, etc so you do not have more than that. You might also have to do the scan in two phases with half the computers on one time and the other half on the next scan.

This tool runs on a single machine and scans the whole network. It will look at open ports and services by IP address and will find things that are running below the windows level (like rootkits) that have services open.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rowlands View Post
    Did RR not give you the outgoing Port number? Or suggest that they could block Port 25 to block the spam?

I'd set the router to block all port 25 (SMTP) Outbound traffic first, that should stop the spam being sent.

Use 1 PC to scan/rescan the router logs looking for any blocked traffic until you get a positive result. The outgoing IP address will give you the machine responsible.
    This will also work but ALL OUTGOING EMAIL WILL BE BLOCKED while this block is in place. You did not give your Belkin model number but by looking at the belkin manuals that are posted on the web, it looks like the belkin logs are minimal or nonexistant.....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    This will also work but ALL OUTGOING EMAIL WILL BE BLOCKED while this block is in place. You did not give your Belkin model number but by looking at the belkin manuals that are posted on the web, it looks like the belkin logs are minimal or nonexistant.....
    That's the idea, for testing purposes. Anyway, it doesn't stop anyone using Webmail.

If the Belkin <spit. router doesn't give any logging options, check the Sytem/Application logs of the PC's for related errors during the block period.

I have no idea how to check the iPhones or TIVO, other than by the first method.

There are great but techie tools from Sysinternals and Nirsoft that would allow you to sniff this out but they need to be installed per PC and some Nirsoft tools are 'PUP's according to many antivirus vendors and could themselves be blocked!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can load Wireshark on each PC and watch the traffic - this is a last resort, I'd unplug things first, it's easier.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    All great stuff guys, thanks!

Let me put some of this into play and see what I can find out

Thanks
    If scans don't find anything, you might have a rootkit. There are specialized scanners for rootkits.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    If scans don't find anything, you might have a rootkit. There are specialized scanners for rootkits.
    Gizmo Richards suggests Sophos Anti-Rootkit as a great choice for this. I have not tried this, as I have never had a root kit infection, but Gizmo is well respected as a source of great apps.

Note: Sophos does require registration to acquire it's free download.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy