3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Emailing reports

I have a report I want to email.. When I merge this report with MS-Word it adds page breaks where I don't want them. I think it might be that I have 2 of the text fields set to CanGrow and CanShrink.. If I turn this off it doesn't add the page breaks.. Unfortunately I can't turn these properties off.. I need the comments field to exapnd so it can display all of the data.. I don't want to use snapshot or change it to HTML either.. Niether is practical fo this report.. Any ideas? It's unbelievable that you can't email a simple report with out it becoming such a mess.. Thanks...

[img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/shy.gif[/img]

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Emailing reports

Use the snapshot viewer feature to email a report. It's much like a PDF file. To use it, when you are in preview mode in the report from the menu select File....Export....Choose SnapShot View.snp as the format. User on the other end must have the snapshot viewer installed as well. Otherwise, if you have the full version of adobe installed select print and send it off to Adobe to create a pdf and email that.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried sending it in RTF format?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Are you talking about "publishing" to Word when you say "merge"? That's what it sounds like, and that's where your' problem is coming from. Publish to Word creates an RTF version of your report, which loses any graphics and has trouble handling things like CanGrow.

You would be better off following Grady's suggestion and using the Snapshot Viewer because otherwise you're doomed to frustration. The recipient has to have the viewer installed on his or her machine, but all the graphics and layout elements are preserved and the snp document cannot be edited at the receiving end. Since the viewer is freely distributable, you can even send it to the recipient to install on their machine.

The only other alternative would be to do a true merge to a Word mail merge document, and you would not be able to exactly produce the Access report layout. Even though this seems to you like it should be simple, Access reports are extremely complex views into the data. They are *not* documents in the Word sense, which is why they don't translate well into RTF.
    Charlotte