New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am interested in installing Win 7 H P on my HP Pavillion dv9543cl which has the Win Vista H P operating system; it has a motherboard which can 'handle' the conversion from it's current 32 bit to a 64 bit operating system and it currently has 2 GB RAM. If upgrading to Win 7 H P would it be better to upgrade to the 32 bit version or to the 64 bit version; also, would it be advisable to upgrade from 2 to 4 GB ram? Any suggestions will be appreciated from those who have attempted such.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    There are still more software and drivers for 32bit, so that is the start unless you need more than 4GB RAM.
    Alternatively, save the money until you replace your hardware.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I would go with the extra 2 GB RAM for a total of 4 GB, then go for Win 7 64 Bit. Check for 64 Bit drivers for all peripherals. If not available that peripheral will not work unless you use 32 Bit Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you don't know if you need 64-bit and more than 4 gigs of RAM, you don't need 64-bit and more than 4 gigs of RAM. That's its only real advantage...which is huge if you need it. On the other hand, there are not too many snafus to run into going with 64-bit, especially if your peripheral hardware is very modern and has appropriate 64-bit drivers.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    If you don't know if you need 64-bit and more than 4 gigs of RAM, you don't need 64-bit and more than 4 gigs of RAM. That's its only real advantage...which is huge if you need it. On the other hand, there are not too many snafus to run into going with 64-bit, especially if your peripheral hardware is very modern and has appropriate 64-bit drivers.

Since we do not know what the future will bring (It seems that in PC generations, the future means next month, things change very quickly) if you have the hardware to run 64 Bit, and have the room for at least 4 GB RAM, it makes perfect sense to plan for the future, and the future (in my belief) is 64 Bit. As Byron mentions above, as long as your peropherals are 64 Bit capable (or are old enough that a replacement is in order anyway) their are very few snafus with 64 Bit. In another thread there is a discussion about how 64 Bit is here to stay. As time goes on 64 Bit (which is very commonplace now) will continue to become much more commonplace. If so, why not be prepared.

You can always set up a virtual environment to handle the few things you might need 32 Bit to handle.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by William Wilson.321 View Post
    I am interested in installing Win 7 H P on my HP Pavillion dv9543cl which has the Win Vista H P operating system; it has a motherboard which can 'handle' the conversion from it's current 32 bit to a 64 bit operating system and it currently has 2 GB RAM. If upgrading to Win 7 H P would it be better to upgrade to the 32 bit version or to the 64 bit version; also, would it be advisable to upgrade from 2 to 4 GB ram? Any suggestions will be appreciated from those who have attempted such.
    You should note that according to Windows 7 Upgrade Options for Notebook PCs HP Pavilion dv9543cl Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English) your notebook is NOT supported winth Windows 7 by HP. This means that HP has NOT and will NOT develop Windows 7 drivers for it. You could have difficulty getting some components to work correctly.

You should download and run the PC Upgrade Advisor.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    If your wanting a decent Windows 7, 64 bit laptop, keep your Vista for now, save up your money, and
    get a decent laptop with a fast processor with 6 GB RAM. Don't waste your money on a 4GB, 64 bit system.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    William, my HP Pavilion Slimline s7715.uk 32bit is running W7 Home Premium without any trouble. The maximum RAM I can use on mine is 2x1gb.
    Check your PC specs first. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...n&dlc=en&cc=uk
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    if you have the hardware to run 64 Bit, and have the room for at least 4 GB RAM, it makes perfect sense to plan for the future, and the future (in my belief) is 64 Bit.
    The future in software terms is that applications lag behind the OS for at least 2 years. This gives you plenty of time to save up and replace your PC and OS after 4 or 5 years.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The future in software terms is that applications lag behind the OS for at least 2 years. This gives you plenty of time to save up and replace your PC and OS after 4 or 5 years.
    Software might take even longer than that, or at least describe a long low arch as a whole because there is nothing compelling for speed or efficiency or whatever so there is very little incentive to convert everything over outside of a casual business product cycle. One will need 64-bit Win 7 to move forward with drives over 2 terabytes in size if that floats anyone's boat

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the advice.