Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks
    I've a Dlink DIR-615 router. Wireless connectivity is intermittent. Signal strength is always excellent. The wireless stuff tends to be 10 feet from the router. Router is out in the open. I suspect signal to noise ratio (SNR) is the issue, but how do I find my SNR and reduce the noise? I tried setting router to channel 6 then later, channel 11 (the 5mHz bandwidth overlap). Did not solve the problem.

Lately, IE will be unable to load a page. Refreshing fixes the problem. Firefox kills my connection, requiring a reboot to restore net connection.

I got a DCHP error once but was unable to take a screenshot at the time. Have not seen it since. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Mike

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This tool will let you scan and see if you have other overlapping wifi signals in your area....

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    This tool will let you scan and see if you have other overlapping wifi signals in your area....

http://www.metageek....oducts/inssider
    mercyh,

Thanks for the tool. I have attached a shot of my area signals. What, if anything, can I do to help improve my signal or stop interference so I have to reset my router less often? Linksys WRT610N Dual Band wireless router. One desktop hardwired, 2 laptops wireless. All Win 7 Homegroup connected. It seems like every few days I have to reboot the wireless because we cannot connect.

[attachment=89714:2010-08-21_1526.png]

TIA for any help!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That is terribly ugly. The interference is about as bad as I have seen. Throw in a microwave or two and several cordless phones and you have a perfect storm...

You mention that your router it dual band. Do all your devices support the 5ghz band? If so I would try to switch to it. The fact is that the only channels in the US that do not overlap are 1, 6 and 11. Your channel setting is overlapping with eight other networks and you can see from the graph that "Wayne" is at times as strong or stronger then your signal. You could try going to channel 11 but I am sure you would have less interference in the 5ghz band.....

Thanks
    That is terribly ugly. The interference is about as bad as I have seen. Throw in a microwave or two and several cordless phones and you have a perfect storm...

You mention that your router it dual band. Do all your devices support the 5ghz band? If so I would try to switch to it. The fact is that the only channels in the US that do not overlap are 1, 6 and 11. Your channel setting is overlapping with eight other networks and you can see from the graph that "Wayne" is at times as strong or stronger then your signal. You could try going to channel 11 but I am sure you would have less interference in the 5ghz band.....
    [attachment=89888:InsiderCh11.png]

Turned off auto in 2.4 GHz band and set to channel 11.

When I tried to disable 2.4 GHz band all together lost all wireless conn. Fortunately also have desktop with direct conn. Turned 2.4 band back on.

I will have to investigate if I can use just 5 GHz band. May not be able to. The 5 GHz band is listed as Myers-Media (Name set up by router when I named my network Myers.

Thanks for the comeback.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How big an area are you covering and how far are you from the router. (5ghz generally does not have as much range in non line of site situations as the higher frequency does not penetrate as well) If your device is 5ghz capable, you should see the Myers_media in your list of networks and should be able to connect to it instead of Myers without turning 2.4ghz off. It looks like the signal is very weak for Myers_media so don't know if it will work...

It does look like in your situation channel 11 is the best setting on 2.4ghz....

Thanks
    How big an area are you covering and how far are you from the router. (5ghz generally does not have as much range in non line of site situations as the higher frequency does not penetrate as well) If your device is 5ghz capable, you should see the Myers_media in your list of networks and should be able to connect to it instead of Myers without turning 2.4ghz off. It looks like the signal is very weak for Myers_media so don't know if it will work...

It does look like in your situation channel 11 is the best setting on 2.4ghz....
    It seems to be acting a little better right now. I will see what happens. The router is about 30 feet away upstairs, not exactly line of sight but only a couple of wood framed walls in the way. The Myers-Media network is listed, but is way down the list and quite weak. I'll have to see what happens. Thanks for the info.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    [attachment=89889:InsiderCh149.png]

Switched to 5 GHz band. Here is a shot now. No one else around. Signal strength is lower so I will have to see how it works. Wife is still using 2.4 GHz band for now. Have to compare. Thanks again. Have a great evening. Cheers, Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounger
    Thanks
    inSSIDer requires a wireless card. Any tools not needing a wireless card?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael dowds View Post
    How do you connect to your network? Inssider uses the same network interface card (nic) that is used to make the connection to your wireless network.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael dowds View Post
    Actually, you can change the card inSSIDer uses to scan with:

[attachment=89890:InsiderChangeAdapter.png]

Choose the card you use. I think this will work for hard wired as well as wireless.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    mercyh,

The 5 GHz mode seems to be working fine for both of our laptops. I see what you mean by it being a short distance mode. Moving half way to the router seems to increase the signal strength considerably. I will have to see if I can figure a way of moving cable modem and router closer to where we use our laptops most of the time and still connect the desktop which is used occasionally.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    mercyh,

Well the 5 GHz mode will not communicate with our wireless printer. Fudged it up good. Had to switch back to 2.4 GHz mode. Will try for a while on channel 11.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    your router should talk between the two bands... it should be the same as a wired connection talking to a wireless connection unless your router does not do both bands at once.

Does your router have a setting that does not allow access between the 5ghz and the rest of the network?

Thanks
    OK, I reinstalled the router software on my laptop, used an ethernet cable from the printer to the router, set up in 5 GHz mode and success. Works fine.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast