New Lounger
    Santa Cruz Ca.
    I have win XP-sp3.
    Sometimes I download TV videos from my Tivo and play them with win media player 11 but haven't done it for several weeks.
    The other day I could not get them to play so I reinstalled the recommended codecs. No luck, in fact I could not get it to even play WMV's. It would briefly flash the picture then play only the sound. I searched Google and tried several things. I tried to uninstall 11 and control panel said it could not do it because files were missing so I reinstalled without uninstalling, same difference.
    Next I tried installing win media player 10 but it said that I had to get rid of 11 first.
    Finally I got 10 installed but the same problem remains
    Somehow I think that if I could get 10 to play WMV's which is a listed format it might play Tivo videos again.
    Any ideas?

California & Arizona
    BleepingComputer:How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files

Try an alternate player like VLC
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Central Florida
    John Taylor,
    I'm not sure from your post, just where you got those Codec's, but for several years now, on the advise of my Software Guru,
    I've used nothing but the KLite Codecs pack (Full).
    It gets updated regularly like an AV program and I try to keep it up to date.
    Many times when it's loading, I've seen it come up and tell me that an old codec is corrupted and should be removed.
    The installer then removes the bad codecs.

Why don't you give it a try?
    I'm currently downloading three different versions.
    KLite Codecs full (works great on XP)
    KLite Codecs Vista
    KLite Codecs Win-7

take your pick according to what OS you're using. Google for a download site.

Since I began using the KLite Codecs, I've done away with all the other Viewers and Players that had previously been installed on my PC.
    I share these codecs with all my customers and no-one has any problem playing any A / V files.
    I carry all three versions on my Utilities CD.

Good Luck,
    The Doctor

EDIT: I just downloaded the latest KLite Codec pack for XP,
    from this site. I scrolled down to the 8th line that started with "Download" and clicked it.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!