Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I live way back in the sticks. No cable, no DSL -- was at the mercy of Verizon using dialup acess with (they said) woodpeckers damaging the phone lines. 2 years ago, set up a 2-way radio mast w/ a small antenna + transceiver which talks to a relay on a mountain 22 miles away. *Sometimes* get ca. 1mb/s acess. Expensive, but what can I do?

When transferring 2 - 10 MB files via a web browser (I use mainly Opera), the transfer often starts fine, then after a few seconds, the compuster seems to loose interest and transfer rate drops to say, 269 bytes/sec! REAL SLOW. My only work around has been to hover my cursor over the stop / resume button. If I use that every 10 seconds or so -click "stop", then click "resume", the file transfer resaumes and I can eventually get the file. Is this computing in the 21st century? Can someone help?

BTW, using MSE for virus checking, etc. is now problematic, since file updates take hours, if not days, to download! Most web pages load OK, emails OK. Online videos ? forget it!

-Peter
    peter@bluegrasswest.com

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    sounds like flaky radio hardware. Can you run Pingplotter while doing the download and see what happens to your connection?

http://www.pingplotter.com/freeware.html

set the target to something that is fairly stable. (www.google.com maybe) set the trace time to 5 seconds and let it run. When you have the problem, pull it up and see where the problem is.

What kind of radio hardware are you running? There is some very good inexpensive stuff available now...

I don't know what your relay is tied into for bandwidth or what radios it is using but I think you could do 54mb with no problem with 22 miles with true line of sight for less then $600 for both ends....

Thanks
    Welcome to the lounge Peter.
    The best thing I can think of for you is,Satellite hook up.Here's a link if your interested;Satellite Internet Services I have a friend that's in the same situation,she has Direct.Pretty fast connection.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your replies.

I've attached a ping plotter graph to show the situation. As to radfio model #s, etc. I'll have to do some research. We are currently using Impulse.net as our wireless ISP. They are supposed to be giving us at least 768kbps access. Installation costs, including radio equipement, was about $1,200, so we're not all that anxious to install a satelite antenna too!

[attachment=89686:www.google.com.png]

I'll post more info as I can acquire it.

-Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Send that graph to your Impulse tech support people. They have a radio problem and this proves it. It they can't fix it (and they can if they will) They need to refund your money....

I live on the Kansas plains and have a lot of experience with Wireless ISP. I would say that here, at least, they are more reliable and faster then satellite....

I support about 20 customers that are using it and am on a first name basis with the local tech. This tells you that it is not trouble free but our company here has some very knowledgeable people and that graph you posted above in the hands of the right person should get results...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is no reason to post any radio information. I was under the impression that this was a relay that you had setup and were supporting yourself.

Let the guys you are paying for service do the dirty work.......

Thanks
    Try "Orbit", free and it does a pretty good job of picking up where it left off when a connection is lost.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the comments.

I thought I'd give you a status update. Had a long talk with a senior tech guy at my ISP - Impulse.net. We tried various adjustments with little success. Then, he had me go straight from the radio transceiver into one of my computers -- without the router, a linksys WRK54G. Presto . . . problem solved!

He suggested it was probably not a hardware issue, rather a mis-setting of some parameter in the lynksys software. I'm thinking of just doing a total reset and starting over.

Anyways, that's where it stands at the moment.

-Peter

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry to be so late in this reply, but i wanted to inform readers that the issue has been fixed.

The cause: my old Linksys router had received some damage, probably from a voltage spike, which caused an intermittant failure during data downloads. Installing a new router brought the system back to normal operation, and it's been fine now for more than a month.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.