Thanks
    I'm seriously considering purchasing and installing Photoshop Elements 8 and Premiere Elements 8; looks like they would be a lot of fun, learning, and maybe even useful. I wonder if anyone here is using these programs, and if you could tell me whether my current computer would be able to run it well. I know that the two of them together is a VERY LARGE installation. Current computer easily meets the minimum system requirements, but I don't want to knowingly cause my otherwise well-working machine to become sluggish, or end up with two slow running programs that would be more frustrating than fun. Here is what I currently have on my desktop:

Dell Inspiron 530, about 2 years old.
    64 bit Win 7 Home Premium OS (upgraded from Vista last November).
    Intel (R) Pentium (R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00 GHz.
    4 GB Ram, 320 GB hard drive with 220 GB free.
    Intel (R) G33/G31 video.

What do you think?

Also, PS Elements 9 is thought to be coming soon; would it be worth waiting for?

Thanks for any input,
    John
    Dell Inspiron 530 Intel Pentium E2180 dual core @2.00 GHz 4GB Ram Win7 64 bit

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Photoshop Elements all the time, definitely worth the price. And your system can handle it just fine (I have a 3 year old HP laptop with 4GB memory with Win 7 Pro 64-bit and it runs runs PSE 8 just fine). I haven't tried Premier Elements yet, I use Pinnacle Studio so I can't comment on that. I did use an earlier version of Premier Elements and I was not impressed - I liked its capabilities but it needed to make a full backup of whatever video file I was editing (which slowed things down and needlessly used up a lot of disk space) and crashed when I edited long files (2 hour movies). I don't know if the recent version has fixed any of these issues.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Photoshop Elements should be no problem. Premiere Elements, since its working with video, has the potential to be a heavy consumer of system resources. Things like fast scratch disks for intermediate file manipulation and scrubbing are important and the types of video files you will be editing are important. A DVD-quality and size video is much easier to manipulate than hi-def camcorder video which also may requre a better video subsystem.

I have both but I rarely use Premiere Elemenst 8 since it seems really sluggish to strart up on my Win 7 system and I prefer the user interface and features of Pinnacle Studio, though the same caveats apply when it comes to processing video.

Thanks
    I'm still running PSE5. The main main point has been hard disk space, as its native format (PSD) creates immense files (e.g., an 8 megapixel image with a second layer consumes 35 megabytes) and it likes to use a lot of temp space. But with so much space free, you should be alright for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by John Juergens View Post
    Also, PS Elements 9 is thought to be coming soon; would it be worth waiting for?
    If it inherits content aware fill from the just released version of Photoshop (see What's new in Photoshop CS5), I will get in line to buy it!

Thanks
    Peter, Byron, and jscher-

I went and purchased both as a bundle today and have installed them tonight. Also bought a nice book (600+) pages for Elements 8 from Missing Manuals. As an old guy, the book will work better for me than video tutorials.Just wanted to thank all of you for your prompt and useful responses. Jscher, I followed your link to look at the " content aware fill" clip at the Photoshop site. WAY TOO COOL! I even had my wife look at it. I almost changed my mind and bought CS5. I can afford it, but couldn't figure out how to JUSTIFY it, especially since I'm just starting and clearly don't have a clue yet! Thanks again, all. I'm off to play a bit now.

John
    Dell Inspiron 530 Intel Pentium E2180 dual core @2.00 GHz 4GB Ram Win7 64 bit