3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone know or suspect whether Microsoft is going to make Windows Live Mail function like Outlook Express? Or give us OE in addition to that lightweight Live Mail? Has anyone heard any rumors?

Will Outlook Express work if I run my 32 bit Windows 7 Professional in XP mode?

If I have Windows Live Mail installed on my computer, nothing is sent to the Microsoft web site right? My address book for instance, or anything else? Comcast is my ISP and Earthlink is where my mail comes into so I did not have to change email addresses when I got Comcast cable. Both have web mail but I rarely use it..

Is there another board where I should post my questions about mail programs? I am not familiar with how the Lounge works.

I can't understand why they would take a perfectly good mail program and replace it with this "thing" they call live mail.

Most everyone today has multiple email addresses. Why would anyone in their right mind at Microsoft think that most people want multiple inboxes? Or a single huge 20 gigabyte inbox begging for corruption that can't be made smaller without deleting messages out of one's "storage" folders?

I read where someone said this new mail program handles large files better. I am not sure what they mean by large files, but if, by any chance they mean a large inbox, "sent mail", drafts, or large other folder, the answer was sooooo simple! Just move messages out of that folder into a new folder that you name, for instance, "inbox 7-1-2009 t0 12-31-2009. You can even make it stay at the top, in order, by naming it 1. Inbox etc. or * Inbox.

If you have a folder that you move stuff out of often, just compact that single folder every so often to keep it small and get rid of the empty space in it caused by moving messages out.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I see I am not the only one going nuts without Outlook Express. With the amount of talented members in the Lounge, isn't there anyone willing to take on development of an Outlook Express exact clone that works in Windows 7? You'd be a HERO to thousands of us who are heavy email users, want a single inbox with no "quickview inbox" monstrosity taking up 20 or 30 gigabytes, do not want multiple email accounts and their inboxes showing in the folders pane, and want icons back on the tool bar instead of words etc. etc. and etc.

I'd be happy to pay for such a thing if someone would develop it and I bet other users would too.

Windows 7 is useless to me without Outlook Express (and I can't use Vista).

Thank you, experts, for considering this.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows Live Mail is the direct successor to OE so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for MS to make it function like OE.

I don't have Windows 7 so I can't answer your question about running OE in Win 7 XP mode but my felling is probably not, especially if the mail you are hoping to manage that way is of any value to you. It sounds a bit risky to me.

I also don't have Windows Live Mail so again I can't answer your question about it sending stuff to MS but as I understand it Windows Live mail is a client that lives on your PC but can handle both POP and IMAP (webmail) accounts. So if you are using it with a POP account all the info is likely to be held on your PC. However, if you have a webmail account, e.g from Hotmail, then the address book for that, together with everything about that account is already on a MS server and WLM will be managing it remotely.

MS replaced OE because OE was prone to corrupt its mail boxes. Having said that I've used OE on my home PC sine the days of Win98 and never had any problems with it all. I must qualify that though and point out that my home email account doesn't get much traffic so none of the mail boxes are large.

Hope this helps

stuck

Thanks
    Microsoft has already done this, it is called "Outlook", the difference is that it is not free.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Russ, thank you for your reply. I actually want an exact Outlook Express clone, not Outlook, which I have had in every version of Windows since it existed, and do not care for. So I guess I still have the same question regarding a clone for Outlook Express.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Stuck, thank you so much for your reply.

I too have used OE since Win95 and had no trouble with it. Long ago I read advice from an expert somewhere who said that to keep OE from corrupting its files, you must break big folders so that you only have a few thousand messages iin each. I have faithfully done that, creating new folders and moving older messages into them, and have had no problems at all. Once I had an issue where it was compacting and I had forgotten to turn off the internet connection, and lost some emails as a result, but that was my own fault.

You cleared up my question about whether anything on my own downloaded copy of WLM is going to a MS website. I do not have a hotmail account or any other programs from the Windows Live group such as Messenger. Many thanks!

Thanks
    OE does work in XP mode under Win 7 pro, so it would seem that is an alternative, at the cost of a lot of overhead in system resources and startup time.

I don't think it would be any more unreliable than OE normally is, and as long as you arrange to back up the data files from the XP mode virtual C:drive it should be OK.

I don't use it myself because I switched to Thunderbird under Win 7 but I can't see any inherent problems in doing so.

Jock

Lounger
    Thanks
    I now use Thunderbird and except for the amount of time that it takes to load I love it. It seems to me that it is an acceptable replacement for OE.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T Hodge View Post
    I used outlook for years
    Please not, this thread is about Outlook Express, not Outlook, which is a completely different application.

stuck