3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to one of the newsletters here I found the QuickLaunch bar but now I can't put anything but apps on it!!!! Mine in XP has folders - My pictures folder, Documents folder, direct links to C, E, F drives (E and F are external), and lots more.

I depend on this location for these folders, not the desktop above the QuickLaunch because QuickLaunch is not covered by other windows and I can always get at it. Then, it is a single click to get where I want to go. HELP!!!! How can I make folder icons show up there?

Also, how can I get rid of that awful little "preview" sort of window that shows up every time I hover over something on QuickLaunch? It slooowly shows up and then it covers up other things. AND, how can I make the icons on QuickLaunch large enough to SEE so I can pick the right one?? Can I tweak those Icon sizes??

Thanks
    Hi Kelliann,

By QuickLaunch, are you referring to the QuickLaunch bar from past versions of Windows that is hidden in Windows 7? Or are you referring to the Windows 7 Taskbar?

I have the old QuickLaunch bar set up on my Windows 7 laptop to place items that I do not want to lock to the Taskbar. I have a folder on the QuickLaunch bar. To add a folder to the QL bar, first right click on the QL bar and uncheck lock the taskbar. Then, open Windows Explorer to find the folder you want, left click and hold, drag it to the QL bar, release the left mouse button and it will dock there.

To make the icons larger on the QL bar, right click on the QL bar and uncheck Lock the taskbar. Then, right click, select View and check Large icons.

As to the "awful little preview" that gets in the way when you hover over a bar icon, I believe you are referring to the thumbnail preview that appears over the Taskbar icons when a program is open. You can follow directions in this link to disable the preview (this involves a registry edit, so PROCCEED WITH CAUTION AS YOU CAN WRECK YOUR WINDOWS INSTALLATION IF YOU MAKE A MISTAKE; CREATE A RESTORE POINT BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT THIS PROCEDURE), or you can disable Aero, which will get rid of your Windows 7 eye candy as well. If you have Windows 7 Professional or higher you can do the job in the Group Policy editor, which the link referred to has directions on as well.

As an alternative to placing a folder on the QL bar, you can drop the folder or folders on the Taskbar, and they will be moved into the Windows Explorer folder there. When you add the folders, right click on the Windows Explorer Taskbar icon and you will see your folders listed there. You can choose to "pin" any of your folders in this view. Just highlight the folder in the list and click the pin to place it in the jump list. One advantage of this method is you will not clutter your QL bar with a lot of folder icons.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Gerald!!!!!!! I have the OLD QuickLaunch which is hidden in Windows 7. I have not figured out how to make it stay visible. It seems to disappear with each reboot. Maybe it is something I am doing wrong?

I will get to work and attempt to put folders on QL bar as you have described.

I will try this to see how it works:
    > As an alternative to placing a folder on the QL bar, you can drop the folder or folders on the Taskbar, and they will be moved into the Windows Explorer folder there. When you add the folders, right click on the Windows Explorer Taskbar icon and you will see your folders listed there. You can choose to "pin" any of your folders in this view. Just highlight the folder in the list and click the pin to place it in the jump list. One advantage of this method is you will not clutter your QL bar with a lot of folder icons.

Also, thank you for explaining how to get rid of that thumbnail preview. It is too small to be useful to me, and just gets in my way.I'm ok with using the registry as long as some one has given me instructions.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Gerald, I just want to let you know that I now have folders on the QuickLaunch bar and am very happy about that - thank you. I want to get rid of the text next to them and make them just buttons but have not had time to hunt for how to do that yet. I hope there's a way. Text spreads the QuickLaunch out too far or makes me use the down arrow to see a list when I want a single click on a button instead.

I haven't tried your method for getting rid of the preview thumb windows but will as soon as I get time free from work. I am using my XP laptop instead for now.

Thanks
    Right click on the QuickLaunch bar and remove the check from Lock the taskbar . Then right click the QL bar and uncheck Show Labels and Show Titles. That should do it.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill