Star Lounger
    Cheltenham, Pennsylvania, USA

'No virus scanner installed' message (Word 2000 SR-1)

*edited by BAM to include URL tags*

I was troubled by the message "No virus scanner installed" on my Word 2000 Macro Security dialog. McAfee VirusScan is installed and active on my system. I investigated on the Microsoft website (<A target="_blank" HREF=></A>) and noted the following statement (sorry for loss of message formatting):
    How to Verify Whether Your Virus Scanning Program Supports Office 2000
    Not all virus scanning programs support Office 2000. You can verify whether a virus scanning program is registered on your computer by opening the Security dialog box in Word, Excel, or PowerPoint.
    To see if a virus scanning program is registered:
    On the Tools menu, point to Macro, and then click Security.
    If no virus scanning program is registered to scan Office documents, the Security dialog box indicates "No virus scanners installed." If a virus scanning program is not registered on your computer, you may want to discuss this issue with your administrator.
    My questions are:
    1) Do others see this same message although you have anti-virus software installed?
    2) Is there any cause for concern? Or is this just another Microsoft quirk?

Thanks all.

Silicon Valley, USA

Re: 'No virus scanner installed' message (Word 2000 SR-1)

We use Trend OfficeScan and I do see that message in the dialog. OfficeScan is triggered by a disk access; it integrates with Windows. Since Word cannot open a file without requesting Windows to do it, the lack of additional integration with Word really is meaningless as far as I am concerned. (The issue is different for, say, Exchange server, where the data structure may prevent file-based scanners from functioning properly, so closer integration is necessary.)