Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ahhh, my friend purchased a used Toshiba Satellite Windows XP Pro laptop and it appeared to work but didn't use it for a few months. Then he used it 2 weeks ago, loaded a program, got it to work, connected to the internet and then 'died' (as he put it).... he received a screen saying a copy of Windows root>\System32\ntoskrnl.exe was needed.

This used computer came with NO discs. Can he create a boot disc and get this file? Should he create a Recovery Disc to get this file? I have an older Toshiba Satellite running XP Home Edition. Can I create something using my computer to help him? Or can we get something from the internet that can help?

He visited a site called allbootdiscs but he has not been successful in creating a disc using his Vista machine.

What can I do to help this man ( I am in Germany and he is in Vermont so this is a long distance 'help desk') He's good a following directions (he's a physicist) but not super with computers. I have some knowledge of computer systems and hardware with a medium level of expertise.

As always, I will turn to the people of this forum who have the 'secrets' of Windows.
    Life is short, eat dessert first.[media]http://www.radreise-verlag.de/UBCmedorand.jpg[/media]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Garrett View Post
    Ahhh, my friend purchased a used Toshiba Satellite Windows XP Pro laptop and it appeared to work but didn't use it for a few months. Then he used it 2 weeks ago, loaded a program, got it to work, connected to the internet and then 'died' (as he put it).... he received a screen saying a copy of Windows root>\System32\ntoskrnl.exe was needed.

This used computer came with NO discs. Can he create a boot disc and get this file? Should he create a Recovery Disc to get this file? I have an older Toshiba Satellite running XP Home Edition. Can I create something using my computer to help him? Or can we get something from the internet that can help?

He visited a site called allbootdiscs but he has not been successful in creating a disc using his Vista machine.

What can I do to help this man ( I am in Germany and he is in Vermont so this is a long distance 'help desk') He's good a following directions (he's a physicist) but not super with computers. I have some knowledge of computer systems and hardware with a medium level of expertise.

As always, I will turn to the people of this forum who have the 'secrets' of Windows.
    Barbara, Hello again.
    Everything in red are my comments, Others are items I found and copied.

This is a download of an .iso file of just the Recovery Console for XP.
    Burn to CD with Nero or other 'disc image' capable tool and boot.
    It looks just like the start of a normal XP CD, but will only offer the Recovery Console by pressing "R."

All normal Recovery Console procedures can be run from this utility.
    Direct download: http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso

Once in the Recovery console: (This is where it may get tricky. Since he does not have the original XP CD he may have a copy of the i386 file on his HD. )I found this also:
    Attention all WinXP users who didn't get an XP install CD with their computer.

I have discovered how you can install the XP Recovery Console without the Windows XP CD. As far as I know, this has not been done, and if it has, it has not been spread around the internet enough for people to know about it.

In many computers, there is an i386 directory in the WINDOWS directory on their WinXP partition. This folder is I think identical to the i386 dir on the cd. As a result, the command D:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons, which is used to install the recovery console off the CD, can simply become C:\WINDOWS\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons for the rest of us.

So, if you don't have access to a Windows XP CD and don't want to use an rc.iso, or if it doesn't work, instead, open the RUN dialog (windows key + r) and type: %windir%\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons
    On a side note, I got a message that said something about not being able to upgrade before the installation started, I clicked OK and everything worked fine.

1. Select the operating system you wish to fix and type the administrator password.
    2. Type expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32 (here I presume that the CD is in D: and XP is installed in C:\Windows)

he may have to type expand c:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32
    3. If it already exists, you will then be prompted if you wish to overwrite the file. Type Y and press <Enter> to overwrite the file.
    4. Type "exit" to reboot the computer.

I do not have any way to verify any of this, but since the PC will not work at this time anyway, what does he have to loose.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much Ted.... I will go over what you have sent and then contact the Vermont man about this.
    I have always been a bit vague of how to handle ISO files. How does one 'execute' ISO?

It is after 10pm here and too late for me to do much more research. Time for a Heidelberg resident to say 'Good night'.
    Life is short, eat dessert first.[media]http://www.radreise-verlag.de/UBCmedorand.jpg[/media]

Thanks
    Thanks very much Ted.... I will go over what you have sent and then contact the Vermont man about this.
    I have always been a bit vague of how to handle ISO files. How does one 'execute' ISO?

It is after 10pm here and too late for me to do much more research. Time for a Heidelberg resident to say 'Good night'.
    As stated in the post, burn the iso file to cd, insert it in the CD drive and reboot. He should be able to read the CD as a normal file and open the recovery console by pressing "R" (without the quotes)

The second option would be to try to open the recovery console from the i386 file on the HD.

From the Recovery Console he may be able to extract the missing (corrupt) file from the i386 file on the HD.

Best I can come up with!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Langa Letter: XP's Little-Known 'Rebuild' Command
    Computerhope: NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt
    MS: Error message: "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem"

If your friend could "Borrow" someone's Windows XP CD, he could manage a repair from the information in one of the above
    links.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    Langa Letter: XP's Little-Known 'Rebuild' Command
    Computerhope: NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt
    MS: Error message: "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem"

If your friend could "Borrow" someone's Windows XP CD, he could manage a repair from the information in one of the above
    links.
    I saw 2 of these 3 sites, but all needed an original installation CD. Obviously, if you could borrow someones XP disk, you could reinstall from scratch with a valid key. This might be the easiest answer. Or you could open the Recovery Console and reload the file that is missing from the disk. However, without the installation disk or the ability to borrow one, my post may be the only option to try.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been having a similar problem as the original poster these past few days.
    I have a Dell PC with WinXP preinstalled and no Recovery CD came with it.
    I had downloaded the most recent Microsoft updates,fixes and patches on Tuesday the 10th Aug.
    After downloading and installing these latest updates my PC went into its restart and just as it booted back up again
    the electrical power went off and I don't think it had time to fully install them all properly.
    I have not been able to do anything at all other than being told constantly on the blue screen
    UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
    Stop 0x000000ED,etc.
    Since then I have been trawling through the web each day to try find a fix,as I have had:
    No booting in normal or safe mode,or any mode for that matter.
    No access to the recovery console.
    No command prompt option either.
    I tried making a bootable floppy (diskette) to no avail.As the drives are NTFS I think.
    The 'blue screen of death' has stayed with me all this time,until I stumbled onto this thread today.
    Thanks to 'Ted Myers' above I burned the 'iso' image and booted from this disk and was able to get a command prompt up to 'chkdsk' which in turn saved the day.
    So many thanks to you for relieving all that stress that has accumulated over this long haul
    Sorry if this seems like a hijack
    Just needed to say thanks in person as a 'thumbs up' did not seem to say enough for me.

Thanks
    Totty, Welcome to the Lounge.

Thanks so much for the high praise and for the Thumbs Up. The Thumbs Up points program was started as a way of showing appreciation to an individual as a thank you for helping to solve a problem that seemed to defy solution. The personal thanks are much appreciated as well. Cheers, It must be late enough there for a couple of pints. Ted

p.s. This may help Barbara as well as it does show the method to obtain the Recovery Console does work. Now if the rest works for her friend that would truly be awesome.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would assume that my Toshiba XP Home Edition Recovery Disc would not be usable in a Toshiba XP Professional system? Or.....?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    First of all, Welcome Totty. And I am glad that the dialog here on Windows Secrets and Ted Meyers has helped you. I hope my friend (who is monitoring our responses here as I send him a link) will also be able to solve a part of his computer issues.

He is not a 'forums' man but with my help I hope to bring him round.

Thanks again Ted... and I will post any progress we have had as soon as I know it.

Thanks
    I would assume that my Toshiba XP Home Edition Recovery Disc would not be usable in a Toshiba XP Professional system? Or.....?
    I believe the Recovery Disk is not the same as an installation disk. The Recovery Disk has tools necessary to get into the Recovery Console and to do some System Repair on system files, etc. I do not believe the Recovery Disk has the Windows installation files. Since it has been a while since I have used XP, perhaps I'm wrong here, but in Win 7 the Repair Disk you make with Backup and Restore is just that, it assists with repairs but is not an installation disk.

I believe you only need a single Recovery Disk for all versions. At least Win 7 is that way. I use the Rescue Disk I created on my Ultimate on my wife's HP version very successfully.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounger
    Thanks
    this thread from over on Bleeping computer has come in handy for a few people I know of.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic270018.html

goes into pretty good detail all the way through.
    registered Linux user:476595

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I believe the Recovery Disk is not the same as an installation disk. The Recovery Disk has tools necessary to get into the Recovery Console and to do some System Repair on system files, etc. I do not believe the Recovery Disk has the Windows installation files. Since it has been a while since I have used XP, perhaps I'm wrong here, but in Win 7 the Repair Disk you make with Backup and Restore is just that, it assists with repairs but is not an installation disk.
    Ted, When my old Toshiba Satellite A15's hard drive died a few years back, I used the Recovery disc to 'restore' the computer to factory settings. So shouldn't that disc have the Windows XP files on it? Or is this only an Image file? The instructions on the disc mention that when the disc is inserted it will format the drive.

Thanks
    Ted, When my old Toshiba Satellite A15's hard drive died a few years back, I used the Recovery disc to 'restore' the computer to factory settings. So shouldn't that disc have the Windows XP files on it? Or is this only an Image file? The instructions on the disc mention that when the disc is inserted it will format the drive.
    OK, now I see, the terminology is different. The Recovery Disk you are describing is the manufacturer's version of a original MS Windows Installation Disk. Yes you are right this does contain the XP installation files. I do not remember what they called the Rescue Disk in XP. In Win 7 all versions are contained on the DVD in a retail copy. It would depend on which version key you purchased as to which version is actually installed. I do not believe the XP installation disks included all versions as they came on a CD, not a DVD and as such all versions would not fit. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I do not think so.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R-C View Post
    this thread from over on Bleeping computer has come in handy for a few people I know of.
    http://www.bleepingc...opic270018.html

goes into pretty good detail all the way through.
    Good tutorial. I had not seen that one before. As suggested a few images would have been even better. Thanks.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast