Star Lounger
    Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    For some months I've been getting 'Found New Hardware' at every boot up of Win XP SP3 with 'Realtek' the offending culprit. I've not added any such hardware. I delete the HD Audio driver in Device Manager but it's back after the next boot. How do I purge this pesky varmint?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roger trigg View Post
    For some months I've been getting 'Found New Hardware' at every boot up of Win XP SP3 with 'Realtek' the offending culprit. I've not added any such hardware. I delete the HD Audio driver in Device Manager but it's back after the next boot. How do I purge this pesky varmint?
    What audio hardware do you have? Perhaps you have an item you are unaware of.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Roger,

The Realtek sound device is most likely built into your motherboard. Do you also have a sound card installed in a slot like Sound Blaster Audigy or other PCI card? If so, go into your BIOS where you can find the on board sound device and disable it from there. That should prevent Windows from seeing it and attempting to load the drivers for it on each startup.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Roger,

The Realtek sound device is most likely built into your motherboard. Do you also have a sound card installed in a slot like Sound Blaster Audigy or other PCI card? If so, go into your BIOS where you can find the on board sound device and disable it from there. That should prevent Windows from seeing it and attempting to load the drivers for it on each startup.
    Good answer Gerald, 1 Thumbs Up for that! Some of us do know how the Thumbs Up points system is supposed to work. Thank you once again.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Gerald,
    You got it in one - I went to the BIOS and disabled the onboard device. It begs the question of why the 'new hardware' alarm started sounding after using the system for several years,
    Many thanks
    Roger