New Lounger
    Thanks
    So a few days ago i got a virus/ malware, not really sure of the difference that once i realised what it was, i couldnt delete because it stoped me from running control panel, system restore, or my antivirus.

When i tried to restart my computer and boot in safe mode, i get fatal system error "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" and it just reboots the computer, if i try to boot normally, not in safe mode, i get the same error. when i tried previous working point it give the same error, and when i try to use the windows xp disk and boot off of that, as soon as it says "starting windows" it gives me a different blue screen with the error "STOP : 0x0000007B, (0xF78D6636, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)".

As things stand i have been un able to get a command line at al. I was able to run My Acronis True Image disk which works but the original system image i took of my computer when i first installed XP on it has been deleted so i dont have any way to really use acronis.

So im currently at a loss for what i can do to get my computer working again, i am willing to reinstall the operating system but i dont know how to get there because it bluescreens before i get the option, any help would be appreciated

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    what brand of computer? are you saying it bluescreens before you see the bios screen? Kind of unlikely as you are getting the Windows Stop messages.

you will need to put your Windows system install disk (or system restore disk from the manufacturer) into the cd/dvd drive. You will then need to press the correct button while the bios screen is on (depends on the manufacturer which button) and tell it to boot from the CD drive. You should then see the computer boot into the install disk without a blue screen. If you cannot get to bios or if the machine will not boot the install disk, your problem is almost certainly hardware related...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    the brand is a sony vaio, and i have been able to get to bios and boot from the cd. It bluescreens right after its done loading all the stuff from the cd and at the bottom it says "starting windows". I havnt been able to reach the screen that says repare install, or reformat or anything. when i start normally it bluescreens right after the screen that says windows XP with the loading bar at the bottom.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You might have a MBR rootkit. Obviously you have access to another machine or couldn't post here.

Have you written your data on the infected drive off as completely lost at this point?
    If so I would DBAN that drive and then try the install again.

http://www.dban.org/download

The DoD short will take about 3hrs on a 300gb drive. You should be able to do the Quick Erase and it would get anything there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    here is ms's article on the second stop error

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ok i used the DBAN on my computer and it finished after about 10minutes and it said "finished with non-fatal errors" and then some additional info followed by "Killed...". after which i tried the windows XP pro disk which still ended in the second BSOD STOP 0x0000007B. Im not sure what to do to fix this, im going to read the link you gave me more carefully

Thanks
    If you have the original installation disk, it may just be quicker to format to get rid of the nasty and reinstall Windows. Once you have everything back to where you want it, start imaging again and keep your images up to date. Each major change of new app, it would be appropriate to reimage. This would also be a great time to get rid of those apps you do not use or update those out of date apps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i DBANed and tried installing windows 7, which sort of worked, it let me install and start but when gets to the windows loading screen it gives me an error

File : \Windows\system32\DRIVERS\elxstor.sys

Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing, or corrupt.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is almost certain that you have a hardware problem if clean installing windows fails more than once......

I would suspect that your hard drive is bad but memory is also a possibility....

Thanks
    I'm with mercyh, but I might try one additional install of Win 7. However, I would format the HD as a part of the install of Win 7. There should be an option to format the HD, then start the installation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy