Lounger
    Thanks
    A friend of mine's old XP computer passed away recently (RIP), and he bought a new Dell desktop. We play video games together, and he really loved his old mouse setup, which uses the PS2 mouse port, and the new mice/software combos he has tried don't suit him well. He has virtual XP on his new Win7 box, but the computer only has USB ports and no PS2 ports.
    I see there are plenty of adapters for plugging a USB mouse into a PS2 port, but is there any way to do the opposite - plug a PS2 mouse into a USB port?
    Mike
    I can always use good information

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Yes, but they can be difficult to obtain. Might be worth trying other USB mice first.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    Yes, but they can be difficult to obtain. Might be worth trying other USB mice first.

cheers, Paul
    Difficult in what way? Hard to find, expensive, what? The solution does exist, though?
    Mike

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Difficult to obtain / expensive. There is also no guarantee that it will solve your problem.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I have never come across an adapter which would enable a PS/2 mouse to connect to a USB port. And I wouldn't want one if there was such a thing.

It is a bit of an exaggeration to say that all PS/2 mice were ghastly ball mice, whereas all USB mice are wonderful optical laser mice, but it's approximately true.

You say the new mice/software combos he has tried don't suit him well, which puzzles me. You don't need to install any mouse software, just insert its USB plug into the USB socket and delight in accurate screen pointer movement!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    I have never come across an adapter which would enable a PS/2 mouse to connect to a USB port. And I wouldn't want one if there was such a thing.

It is a bit of an exaggeration to say that all PS/2 mice were ghastly ball mice, whereas all USB mice are wonderful optical laser mice, but it's approximately true.

You say the new mice/software combos he has tried don't suit him well, which puzzles me. You don't need to install any mouse software, just insert its USB plug into the USB socket and delight in accurate screen pointer movement!
    Thanks for the info, BATcher. The thing is, this mouse is for gaming, for playing Tiger Woods 08 golf, and it is remarkable how much the subtleties of mouse movement and adjustment mean in using the TrueSwing method of playing that game.

I am going to consider this thread closed, as all the answers I have gotten point in the same direction.
    Mike

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I was mistaken, they are not that hard to obtain, or expensive. Here is my first attempt at a search.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Paul - I've been there before - but I read the reviews!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    BATcher, I have used them and they do work, but only in those "new server / old KVM" scenarios, so I can't comment on their usability.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    I purchased tow PS2-USB adapters from a company I can't remember and they didn't work! They were only about $3 for both so it wasn't worth perusing a refund.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Before I switched to a wireless mouse, I used to use the wired Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000. It comes with a USB connector and an adapter to convert from USB to PS2. It can be used for either application. If you are purchasing a new mouse, you might want to look into this.
    Michael

Lounger
    Thanks
    I really appreciate all the time everyone has taken on this topic. My friend is going to purchase one of the adapters PT found and give it a try. If it works, great, if not it is only a few dollars wasted.
    Mike