Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS. I'm now in the process of decommissioning my Windows XP desktop which has Money 2003 Standard Edition loaded on it. I love that program and use it a lot to track my bills, cash flow, etc., so I'd very much like to run it on my new laptop. However, I've had problems in the past trying to install some of my older software written for Windows XP. I've heard there's a higher probability of driver incompatibility with Windows 7 64 bit than with the 32 bit version.

I'd appreciate knowing if anyone is running Money 2003 Standard on a PC with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. If so, were there any installation problems or fixes that needed to be applied?

Thanks for the help.

Thanks
    I am pretty sure you can. I am running Money 2004 Standard under Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

By the way, I must add, however, that I intended moving over to Quicken Premier 2010 because Microsoft have discontinued Money and are soon going to stop all support for all editions of Money. (See the relevant thread elsewhere in this forum). The problem I have encountered, however, is the fact that Quicken 2010 cannot import Money 2004 (or any Money files from versions prior to 2007......). I am very reluctant to manually set up all my financial data again, so I may end up staying with Money and hoping the software stays reliable.

I agree with you, however, that Money is a very user-friendly program (Quicken takes quite a bit of getting used to).

(Editing was to correct typos)
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the information, Peter. Your experience suggests I shouldn't have any difficulty with Money 2003. I actually purchased Money 2004 Standard, but I was very disappointed in how it operated compared to the 2003 version. Until recently I was using a dial up Internet connection, and it seemed like Money 2004 wanted to go out to the Internet all the time. I was also disappointed that Microsoft removed the Cash Flow feature and moved it to the Money 2004 Deluxe version. I ended up throwing the Money 2004 disc in the trash and reinstalling Money 2003. I've been using it ever since.

I'm going to wait a few days to see if anyone else can share their experiences. If I don't get any negative comments, I'll probably go ahead and do the install. The previous problem I had was with Delorme Topo USA 4. It loaded and ran from the get go, but as soon as I restarted the computer it wouldn't work right. It didn't crash the computer, but I waisted a lot of time and effort fiddling with it and trying to run it with Compatibility. I was able to uninstall Topo and the PC appeared to return to normal. However, I've since heard stories were people weren't so lucky and had to do full disk image restorations because the old software messed up the drivers and or startup sequence. That's why I was looking for someone who had definitely had a good install with Money 2003.

Thanks again.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Money 2003 on a new Win7 64bit laptop

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE HELP

I am in your same shoes!
    I was running Money 2003 on an old PC and now upgraded to a new Corei7 laptop with 8MB RAM running Win 7 64bits.
    Money does not want to run!
    I want to cry! and do not see updates from you since your problem in August 2010.

I tried:
    1. Installing Money 2007 ; but my data was not convert-able
    2. Installing Money 2010; but again refused to import my data from Money 2003
    3. Installing Quicken 2010; but it would not recognize any versions of Money older than 2007 or 2008; so It does not even see my 2003 files

After two months (since March 2011) of multiple installing and un-installing of these three softwares (more than a dozen times) I succeeded in having Quicken see one of my files, but it would not accept my password (I don't know how i got there, but i did)

What did you do?
    Did MS Money 2003 work for you with no problems? on a 64bit based machine?

PLEASE ADVISE, HELP, COMMENT, anything

Thanks a million;
    Mohab Akhnoukh
    Cairo, EGYPT

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi akhnouhk,

Welcome to the Lounge.

I've stopped running Money a long time ago, but if you are running Windows 7 Professional or above, you can install Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP mode, which will give an environment where you have a licensed XP operating system. You can install Money there and execute right from within Windows 7.

Thanks
    Alternatively, if you can afford to, change to Quicken and import your data. (MS has stopped supporting Money.....). (See my post #2 above. BUT--Take heed of post #4 above!!! Despite MS advice on the web, the frustrating inability to do the imports from previous versions of Money "up the ladder" from 2003, 2004 etc to 2007 before changing to Quicken also did not work for me!!!)
    SO, post 35 above by Ruirib seems the safest bet unless you are up for entering all you old data from Money into Quicken manually (Aaargh!!)

(Also: Quicken is clearly for US and UK users only..it is severely crippled elsewhere)
    Last edited by petesmst; 2011-05-18 at 11:13. Reason: Corrected typo
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.