New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Word 2007. If I do not save it immediately, it hangs when I try to save it. It hangs when I try to change the directory in the save dialogue box. It also happens when I open a dialogue box for other reasons.
    This also happens with Excel files. They seem to work better if I save them is Word 2003 or Excel 203 format

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've seen this behavior occasionally on some client systems, and in those cases it appears that Word (or Excel) is trying to find a resource on a network share that it cannot find. It will eventually timeout and then save the document properly. If you wait long enough is the document eventually saved?
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the response. I have waited 5-10 minutes recently without success. However, your comment makes sense. All resources it is looking are on this computer, nothing on a network.

Do you have any suggestions?
    Burr

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are you using any custom templates that are referenced either directly or indirectly? If so, make sure they are where Word thinks they should be. That's about the only other possibility that I can think of. As an alternative you might try Phil Rabichow's Systematic Approach to behavioral Problems in Word. It is a bit dated, but many of the suggests apply to Word 2007 and 2010.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again, I'll be going through the doc you mentioned.
    Burr

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That may be a corrupt Word Data Key. Run Regedit and navigate down to Word DATA and with DATA selected, press delete. Word will automatically create a new key when it is restarted.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There is a fairly lengthy webpage dedicated to the various things that cause slow saves in Office - see http://joshuabrauer.com/save-as_slow_microsoft_office.
    Wendell