Thread: forced deletion

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been running all kinds of antiviral and malware programs, and although they have found some problems and been deleted my computer is still acting up.
    I trying to remove some folders and files I came across in a folder in an old game folder that showed 0 bytes. When I tried to delete it it gave me a pop-up that asked me to re-format my entire C dirive. obviously this is not going to happen, but it would seem to me that there is likely a virus hiding in the folder. I have tried a program called Unlocker which said that there were no handles to unlock the folder, but then gave me the opportunity to delete the folder. A box indicated that it was deleted, but when i checked it was still there.
    Alan

Thanks
    What apps did you use to try to clear the infection. It is usually easier to do so from Safe Mode. When booting usually pressing F8 before the windows screen comes on (Try pressing it more than once) will start Safe Mode. Try running the various anti Malware apps. Malware Bytes, Super Antispyware, and others. You may also have a root kit infection. Sophos AntiRootkit has been recommended. Good Luck.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The best option may be to boot the PC using Ultimate Boot CD and running the anti virus tools from there?
    You can burn this CD from an infected machine because it is a Linux boot disk and will resist any nasties your PC may attempt to add to it.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info.
    I am using malwarebytes and I was originally using microsoft security essential when the original problem occurred ( After a boot I was unable to run a manual scan with MSE as I could not get the program to open). After a number of uninstall/reinstall I uninstalled MSE and loaded Avast. I ran a boot disk scan from it and it found two virus and removed them. The computer now seems to be running normally, but I am still concerned about the folder that I can not delete as I definately don't need it anymore, but a zero byte folder that contains another folder that wont let me check properties and instead suggests I re-format my C drive is scary

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan W Dixon View Post
    I have tried a program called Unlocker which said that there were no handles to unlock the folder, but then gave me the opportunity to delete the folder. A box indicated that it was deleted, but when i checked it was still there.
    Alan
    Alan,
    Hello ...Sometimes with "Unlocker" you have to re-boot after clicking on "Delete" to eliminate the folder\file.Try it again and do the re-boot thing.Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried rebooting after deleteing with unblocker but the file is still there.
    I have now done a root scan with avast and a safe mode scan with malwarebytes (both full scans)and they report no virus's or malware, but yet that damn folder is still there.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Alan :

As an alternative to Unlocker, you may want to "LockHunter", that I
    heard about on the Wilders Security Forums, a try .
    Go to : http://www.lockhunter.com .

Edit : Just thought of another possible Alternative, namely
    "FileAssassin", put out by the malwarebytes people,
    available at http://www.malwarebytes.org/fileassassin.php
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan W Dixon View Post
    I tried rebooting after deleteing with unblocker but the file is still there.
    I have now done a root scan with avast and a safe mode scan with malwarebytes (both full scans)and they report no virus's or malware, but yet that damn folder is still there.
    Alan,
    Hello.. I have just one more suggestion You can try to "take ownership " (or do it manually ) of the folder by using a program called "WinBubble"it will add this option to your context menu http://unlockforus.blogspot.com/2008/11/download.html Also i have had good results doing this and the opening the folder and deleting the files one by one.Then as a last step deleting the folder (now empty) itself. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks
    It appears that I was on a totally wrong path.
    I finally noticed that when I ran a avast scan it reported that it was unable to scan some files. When I checked further it turned out to be the very file I was unable to delete.
    Looking either further into this I noticed that this was because of "Error: data error (cyclic redundancy check)(23)
    After reading up on this error I discovered that this might mean a soon to be faulty drive. As everything else on the drive was working perfectly I guessed that it was only a faulty sector or two so I ran chkdsk and it found and repaired two sectors. Now I was able to delete the folder and everything appears back to normal.
    If I do lose the disk I am covered as I am running a program called bounceback essentials which makes a disk copy and updates my C drive to an external drive.
    Thanks for all your support
    Alan

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Modern hard disks should never have bad sectors, they have self checking routines and automatically re-map bad sectors. If Windows finds bad sectors your disk may have run out of spare blocks to automatically repair the errors and disaster is only around the corner.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul for that message of hope LOL
    Alan