Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    I have a lot of Excel workbooks that when opened hide the standard user interface and present the user with a custom menu of only the functions I want used. When these workbooks are opened in Excel 2007, and I assume 2010, the custom menu is placed on the Add-ins tab and the normal ribbon is displayed. Does anyone have code I could put in the Auto_Open() routine to automatically select the Add-ins tab?

BTW: The files are .XLS NOT .XLSM and I wish them to stay that way.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    You would have to use SendKeys (sending Alt X).
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Thanks
    Rory,

Makes sense but I can't seem to get it to work. Here's my code.
    Code:
    Sub Auto_Open()

VehicleMenu
       Sheets("Fit").Activate
       SendKeys "%x", True

End Sub                   'Auto_Open()
    I've tried both the Upper case X and the False argument to no avail.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    SendKeys is of course not particularly reliable, but this worked for me (once I realised I needed to install an add-in that made the add-ins tab visible!)

Code:
    Sub Auto_Open()

SendKeys "%X~", True
       Sheets("Fit").Activate

End Sub

Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Thanks
    Rory,

Ah! the tilde! That did it. Don't know why it needs an Enter Key but that solved the problem...a thumbs up for you....

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Well, I thought this problem was solved but....
    If I run my Auto_Open() code manually {Alt+F8} it works fine.
    However, when I open the workbook from the jump list it does not work.
    I've tried converting it to an .xlsm file and still no love.
    Any Ideas....file attached.

BTW: I've set a breakpoint and the code does execute! It just doesn't change the active tab on the ribbon.
    Attached Files Attached Files

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I did say it wasn't reliable...

If you can convert to 2007 format, you can just create your own tab and make it the first one on the Ribbon?

Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I opened a new instance of Excel2007, opened your file directly and it worked fine, menu created automatically etc.
    I opened a new instance of Excel2010, opened your file directly and it worked fine.

I closed the 'new instances', went back to my already opened Excel2010 (with other files already opened), did a file-open of your file, and it worked fine.
    Menu created.
    When I closed your file, the Vehicles menu stayed, and obviously debugged when a menu option was selected ('Add Entry')

So, apart from anything else, perhaps a 'remove menu cleanup' would be required perhaps using the 'before close event'?

zeddy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zeddy View Post
    I opened a new instance of Excel2007, opened your file directly and it worked fine, menu created automatically etc.
    I opened a new instance of Excel2010, opened your file directly and it worked fine.

I closed the 'new instances', went back to my already opened Excel2010 (with other files already opened), did a file-open of your file, and it worked fine.
    Menu created.
    When I closed your file, the Vehicles menu stayed, and obviously debugged when a menu option was selected ('Add Entry')

So, apart from anything else, perhaps a 'remove menu cleanup' would be required perhaps using the 'before close event'?

zeddy
    Zeddy,

Thanks for the reply but the menu was not the problem it was getting the Add-in Tab to be selected.

It was interesting that in 2010 the menu persisted as it was set up as follows:
    Code:
       Set newMenu = myMenuBar.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlPopup, temporary:=True)
    And should not, and does not in 2007 or less, remain after the workbook was closed.
    Is this a change in 2010?

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rory View Post
    I did say it wasn't reliable...
    Rory,

Yes you did. But I still don't understand why it would work, 100% of the time, when run manually and not, also 100%, when the workbook is loaded. I don't like it when things aren't consistent especially in software!

More Info: If Excel is already running, e.g. You start Excel w/o loading a file then you use File Open to load the workbook the SendKeys works. If you run the Auto_Open() macro manually after loading the file the SendKeys works. However, if the file is loaded automatically via the Jump List, Double-clicking on the file in Explorer or from a Desktop shortcut which loads Excel and passes the file the SendKeys does NOT work

Also: to send a key combo, e.g. hold down Alt and press x you should code SendKeys "%(x)" according to "VB & VBA in a Nutshell" pg. 509.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi RetiredGeek

Re: Thanks for the reply but the menu was not the problem it was getting the Add-in Tab to be selected.

I should have said: I opened a new instance of Excel2007, opened your file directly and it worked fine, menu created automatically , and the Add-in Tab was selected

I opened your file again this morning in an Excel2010 session I already had running (with other workbooks already open).
    When your file was opened, the Add-in Tab was selected and the custom menu visible.

When I closed the Cars workbook, the Add-in tab was still selected and the custom menu still visible.

zeddy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried to start Excel with a ribbon tab other than "Home" active. "Application.SendKeys ("%R{RETURN}")" worked just fine in a test spreadsheet, but didn't work in an Auto_Open macro. Moving the tab I wanted active to the left of the "Home" tab solved the problem.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SDdave View Post
    I tried to start Excel with a ribbon tab other than "Home" active. "Application.SendKeys ("%R{RETURN}")" worked just fine in a test spreadsheet, but didn't work in an Auto_Open macro. Moving the tab I wanted active to the left of the "Home" tab solved the problem.
    Dave,

I think you meant %R{Enter} as there is no {Return} designation in the documentation?

How did you move the Add-in tab to the left of the Home tab?

More interesting info: SendKeys will select any other tab from the Auto_Open() macro EXCEPT the Add-in tab!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Re: More interesting info: SendKeys will select any other tab from the Auto_Open() macro EXCEPT the Add-in tab!

I replied previously:
    I opened a new instance of Excel2007, opened your file directly and it worked fine, menu created automatically , and the Add-in Tab was selected

I also had the Add-in Tab automatically selected whenever I opened your Cars file in Excel2010

But every time I close your Cars file, whether in Excel2007 or Excel2010, the custom menu does NOT remove itself.

zeddy

Thanks
    zeddy,

I opened a new instance of Excel2007, opened your file directly and it worked fine, menu created automatically , and the Add-in Tab was selected.

I also had the Add-in Tab automatically selected whenever I opened your Cars file in Excel2010
    From previous post:

If Excel is already running, e.g. You start Excel w/o loading a file then you use File Open to load the workbook the SendKeys works. If you run the Auto_Open() macro manually after loading the file the SendKeys works. However, if the file is loaded automatically via the Jump List, Double-clicking on the file in Explorer or from a Desktop shortcut which loads Excel and passes the file the SendKeys does NOT work

But every time I close your Cars file, whether in Excel2007 or Excel2010, the custom menu does NOT remove itself.
    The application is designed to exit Excel via the last menu option. Exiting Excel removes the menu.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast